PDA

View Full Version : Which Winch

Mike8623
December 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
OK......guys, I got terrific response from my last question.....so here is one more.

I have a stock Diesel F-250........I have a place in Montana and get a little antsy about getting in early.... some years.......usually there is a little snow left and I get stuck on the dirt road a little, about once a year.........I stop pretty qucik and usally just need a little pull to get out..........so I was thinking of a wiinch with receiver hitch front and rear. So which one do I buy.........I will probably use it only once a year..............do I need one of the expensive ones or will one of the cheaper manufactures work.........suggestions??????????????? I really don't want to spend a lot of money on something I will use only once or so a year if that. Also what poundage should I get..........

POOR BOY
December 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM
i personally wouldnt go under a 12k for that size of truck heres one that isnt that bad

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MMK%2D76%2D51150&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Dnmeistr
December 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Figure an 8k or 9K lb winch would do you as long as you don't get stuck up to the axles in a mud pit :) Summit has there own brand winch a rebranded T-Max winch which has been getting good reviews on pirate4x4. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D930002&N=700+4294888125+400304+115&autoview=sku

RARECJ8
December 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
w/ a rig like urs, bigger is better and along with comes increased cost. getting unstuck can be a challenging time, so having as much pullinmg power at ur disposal all the better. my DD uses a Warn M12000 and it's generally adequate for my needs. The much lighter Jeep has a classic Warn 8274.

good luck. Warn sells a cradle mount for a front/rear receiver, however, they do hang low and decrease approach/departure angles. or if its stowed in the bed, u may have to dig to make room to mount it up for an extraction.

mb

thomasinnv
December 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
general rule of thumb for selecting a winch is twice the weight of the vehicle. also be careful when selecting because some manufacturers rate them as rolling weight instead of dead weight, which is a huge difference. if your looking for something cheap that's not gonna get alot of use, try the summit branded winch. or try ebay, they have some off name brand winches with the same or better hp rating and gear reduction as some of the major name brands for alot less money. also make sure you get a snatch block, it will double your pulling power of the winch.

renojeepster
December 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM
X 4 on the Summitt brand " T-Max " I have their 9000# model, and couldn't be happier with it.

72 Virginians
December 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
x5. Have one on my XJ. It will be moved to the TJ soon.