PDA

View Full Version : router question

thomasinnv
February 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
anyone know if dlink di-624 router will support multiple hosts for the ddns, and if so how to eneter more than one host? if not, anyone know what router WILL support multiple hosts?

Reno Computer Repair
February 10th, 2008, 12:44 AM
All the routers I have worked on only have space for one DYNDNS. That is a tough one to answer.

How about just run DYNDNS updater on the PC, then you can have two running at once...
With the DYNDNS software you can run multiple hosts off one IP.

What is it you are trying to do - run a webserver & ftp off the same IP? Remote desktop? Fill in the details.

MrHappy
February 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I have six development websites on my home server and my PVR's web page on another home server. I also have all of my computers on waiting on different RDP ports. I use DynamicDNS to point to my house and C Names from my live websites to point to the DynamicDNS server. The router handles everything by port number and my DNS server handles everything by name. Between the two I can do anything I need to with one DynamicDNS account. I bought my Netgear RT311 router in 1997 so I am sure that any newer routers that offer DynamicDNS will handle this for you.

thomasinnv
February 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
What is it you are trying to do - run a webserver & ftp off the same IP? Remote desktop? Fill in the details.

i am running 3 websites with ftp and email on one server using virtual hosts. the router only has one space for a host name. i am using easydns, but only have one site being updated automatically right now because of the router. would the dyndns software be capable of updating the dns for three domains simultainiously (sp)? how does it know when the ip changes if it is behind the router? the server always has the same ip address, and the computer doesn't know when the router ip changes.

MrHappy
February 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
For that you don't need DynamicDNS. DynamicDNS is provided by a third party to connect a domain name to your dynamic IP address. I use http://www.dyndns.com/, they will allow you to point more than one domina name to your home server, however you only get to pick from their list of domain names. So if they offer the domain mine.nu then you can use thomasinnv.mine.nu or server1.mine.nu, you get the idea. It is not an issue that your router only has a spot for one domain name because that is just part of the account information for the DynamicDNS host porvided by DLink. If you use third party like I did then you can use as many names as you like.

Once the request gets to youy router it is forwarded to your web server and IIS will determin what to do with it by name. If you have more than one server with a named site on it then you will need to send all your web and FTP traffic to your DNS server first to be routed to the proper server, or place them on different port numbers and let your router handle it.

To host named web and FTP services from home (domain names that you pick like thomasinnv.mictosoft.com) all you need to know is the IP address of your router. If you use DynamicDNS then you can ping the name you picked before (thomasinnv.mine.nu) to get it. The external computer that you are on, like your work computer, needs to know that the name of your home hosted web/ftp site is at that IP address. you can use your hosts file to add them, using the IP address you got from the ping, but it will change and you will need to edit youy hosts file each time it does.

thomasinnv
February 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM
i already have domains registered that i don't want to change the names, and the whole point of using a site like dyndns or easydns is so that i don't have to worry about knowing when the ip changes, and manually change the ip's for all the a records for three domains everytime my isp gives me a different ip.

MrHappy
February 10th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Okay, create a DynamicDNS account at http://www.dyndns.com/, enter that data into your router. When you create that account it will ask you to create an alias through their account. You will need to create one alease for each domain and sub somain that you want to point to youtr router. Next go tos the NS of your personal domain names and create a C Name record for each that will point to the aliases you just created on http://www.dyndns.com/. You can use your personal domains and they will always resolve correctlly and IIS on your home server will know what to do with the request once it comes in.

thomasinnv
February 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
i found dynsite, a dns client that runs on the server. now it automatically updates all the domains any time the ip changes. it was really easy to setup, just a few clicks and it was done. i didn't have to mess with setting up aliases and all that mumbo jumbo, and it works independantly of the router.

Phill Kenoyer
February 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
1st: Quit ripping off your ISP and buy a business class connection with static IPs. I'll bet that if you read your TOS it states that you cannot run servers on your connection.

2nd: Buy a router that is supported by DD-WRT. Install DD-WRT on it and you can pretty much do anything you want with it.