PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations

ammowaster
May 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I will be looking for tires pretty soon for the Excursion. I am running the Toyo MT's right now and I love them but I think I am going to try something a little less agressive and maybe save a couple dollars.

I was really suprised how well the Toyos drive and for most of the minor off road stuff I do they worked pretty well.

I am running 35x12.50-18's right now. It looks like the metric size would be 325/65/18

So watcha think?

Dirty Harry
May 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I have a lot of friends running the Nitto Tera Grapplers that are very happy with them, particularly for the price. What size are you running?

Dennis
May 14th, 2008, 06:24 AM
How about Toyo AT or Hankook AT?

Dirty Harry
May 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Good suggestion Denis. Those Hankook ATs look nice and are very reasonably priced. I don't know anyone using them since they are fairly new, however I have friends running the Hankook MTs that have been pleased with them.

Dennis
May 14th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Good suggestion Denis. Those Hankook ATs look nice and are very reasonably priced. I don't know anyone using them since they are fairly new, however I have friends running the Hankook MTs that have been pleased with them.

I'm pretty much set to get them for my Titan, and since the Jeep is axle-less, the Titan will see quite a bit of dirt this summer taking us to camping spots.

Air Sierra
May 14th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'm pretty much set to get them for my Titan, and since the Jeep is axle-less, the Titan will see quite a bit of dirt this summer taking us to camping spots.

Those are nice looking tires..

Connect
May 14th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I'm running the Toyo A/T's on my DD F150. So far I have been happy with them, I would of much rather got a new set of KM2's but I came across these for a hell of a deal and figured I'd run them through the end of summer. With this size the tread comes a little shallow to begin with, and at around 10k miles on them (5k from the PO) they are a little over half tread.

You've seen them run on the HLT rescue that we did that one late cold night, they did OK for being at street pressure. I'm not sure if I would have rather gone for a BFG A/T or Dueler Revo's.

If you haven't seen this giveaway on Pirate yet, it may be worth a red star.

Interco Tire GIVEAWAY !!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board (http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682968)

ammowaster
May 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I am running I am running 35x12.50-18's right now. It looks like the metric size would be 325/65/18

I was looking at the Toyo AT's because of how happy I was with the ones I have now. I will take a look at the hankooks. It looks like they offer them in the right size

rok-jeep
May 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I vote for the BFG KM2's if you still want to stay with a MT but if you're going AT then the Toyo AT's like you said are good tires. I put a set of 32's on my wife's 2005 4Runner and they came with a 50K warranty. Just keep up the rotations and you should be good. We're on track for that she's just about 1/2 tread with almost 27K on them.

ammowaster
May 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I dont expect to get that many miles but it would be nice.

Where is the best place to get tires, toyos especially.
Back home schwab was my spot but it was because I got everything damn near cost.

locrwln
May 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I have a lot of friends running the Nitto Tera Grapplers that are very happy with them, particularly for the price. What size are you running?

I am currently running the Nitto AT's. 315's/35's on my LC, weight is about 6k loaded. I have about 3.5k on them and of the five one needed 3oz to balance the rest took less (two took just at an ounce). They run nice and smooth. I have had them in snow, mud, dirt and highway. So far I am really liking them. They are a little louder than I thought they would be, but other than that good things. I got all five of them to my door from American/Discount tire for $750.

Jack

WILLD420
May 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I bought some Hankook MT's from ebay last fall. 675.00 to the door.

CashMoney
May 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I used to run bfg at's on my daily driver trucks, and after getting tired of them going out of round when they are half way wore out i've been running the toyo at's and think they are a great tire, two of the other pickups with have them on(motors are stock) we were getting 40-50k miles out of a set of tires. I also think they have been great in the snow and ice and seem to float well in the sand at sand mountain especially when aired down a little bit.

97kurt
May 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have really liked the nitto terra grapplers. I'm on my second set since I went up another tire size recently. They are quiet and did real well in the snow. The tread pattern is near identical to the Toyo AT.

I ordered them from dtd and just paid $40 to have walmart mount and balance them.

(no tax and free shipping on both)
http://www.discounttiredirect.com
http://www.treadepot.com/