PDA

View Full Version : Major brand laptop purchase

kairo
June 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Need a new laptop for work. Have always had Gateways in the past, and they've performed flawlessley.

I'll probably make the purchase at Best Buy (because I get a gang of cash back with the reward zone membership)

What brands do you like?

NO APPLES!!

Forgot to mention. Even though this is a work computer, It'll need to be able to run Flight Sim X and Half Life 2

solja4jc
June 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Alienware, Sager Laptop

they are pretty much the same thing, nothing else can touch these at the moment

kairo
June 28th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Dell owns alienware now, so that's out

solja4jc
June 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
just because another company owns someone, doesnt mean it goes to crap.

i doubt that will comprimise the integrity of alienware/sager.

Gateway= teh noob.

Go acer or voodoo

kairo
June 28th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I've heard good things about both Acer and Voodoo.
Will commence with research

solja4jc
June 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=51114

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=29175

NevadaXJ
June 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'll swear by my Dell XPS laptop. Plays CS:S beautifully, and has been flawless in the year I have owned it.

Reno Computer Repair
June 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Acer - NO

Dell XPS - Yes

Alienware - Yes

Voodoo - Yes

Shinobi
July 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Well if you are going to best buy to get a laptop ur kinda limited but
the one I looked at bestbuy that fitted my specs was this gateway ..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8780198&type=product&id=1204332501169

http://review.zdnet.com/laptops/gateway-p-6860fx/4505-3121_16-32976305.html

Its got good specs for the price

Dennis
July 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
How about an Apple MBP? Seriously, you can have dual-boot with Windoze if you wish, but then you can boot into Mac OS for normal computing experience.

Shinobi
July 1st, 2008, 10:46 PM
How about an Apple MBP? Seriously, you can have dual-boot with Windoze if you wish, but then you can boot into Mac OS for normal computing experience.

But can it play games such as Flight simulator x or HL2 !?!?! I think not!!!! :P

PC>MAC

plus paying for mac laptop is almost double of a PC laptop with the same specs ..

EatingKidsDaily
July 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Buying a laptop is COMPLETELY based on what you intend to use it for.

You need to prioritize your use of the machine, and that will outline which company you should use.

For work laptops, I tend to buy and reccommend Lenovo (Formerly IBM Thinkpads)
They are durable, professional looking, sleek and their support is based in the United States.

For Gaming laptops, you ca get really carried away with Sager or Asus (who manufacture laptops for many major brand name companies, including Alienware)

For video or audio production laptops, you can usually find foor hardware in Apple brand machines, even if you wipe out OSX and put on Windows.

For hard-use fieldwork computers you may need to look into Panasonic or Fujitsu.....

You will need to find mediums between some of the following ideas:

Do you need a large screen even at the expense of extra weight and decreased battery life?
Do you need extended battery life at the expense of size or optical drives?
Does it need to stand up to physical abuse or warmer environments other than a desk?
Does it need to have the fastest processors, even if it costs much more, has shorter battery life or gets much hotter?

Will you be carrying it back and forth between desks? Will you be working in your lap? Does it need to be used regularly in planes or cars?
Will you play games on it or will you be using mostly work applications?
For work, do you typically use productivity software like Office, Quickbooks or CQG? Or do you use intesive design software like CAD, Photoshop or Maya?

Do you need extensive hard-drive space for storing a lot of data like images of produces, detailed technical manuals like ServiceAdvisor?
Do you need dual hard-drives for data redundancy for critical stuff?

I hate to be the nerdy jerk about this stuff... but answer these questions first before you buy and you'll get a purpose-bought machine which will work well in the longterm because you bought what you needed.

BurbanHunter
July 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Gateway all the way. Great product, great customer service, great value!

Snuffy
July 2nd, 2008, 06:22 AM
If money is not an issue go with a Sony Vaio all the way. I've owned 2 and they are awesome systems and the warranty is one of the best i've ever seen. My unit uses Dell's and they have nothing but issues with them.

Dennis
July 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
But can it play games such as Flight simulator x or HL2 !?!?! I think not!!!! :P

Sure it can. It runs Vista like a champ and XP will work even better. It's got an Intel chip and BootCamp allows you to dual boot Windows and OSX.

PC>MAC

plus paying for mac laptop is almost double of a PC laptop with the same specs ..

That is actually incorrect, if you build machines with exactly the same level of hardware, the price will be a wash, but Apple will also run Mac OSX, which a PC can't.

Your statements might have been true a few years ago, but not anymore.

Connect
July 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
A buddy of mine build a very decent Vostro for under $800. (core 2 duo, 3gb ram, 256mb 8600 gfx, 160gb)

The XPS is fawkin sweet too. **** best buy, reward zone points aren't worth it, get a dell!

Shinobi
July 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Sure it can. It runs Vista like a champ and XP will work even better. It's got an Intel chip and BootCamp allows you to dual boot Windows and OSX.

That is actually incorrect, if you build machines with exactly the same level of hardware, the price will be a wash, but Apple will also run Mac OSX, which a PC can't.

Your statements might have been true a few years ago, but not anymore.

okay after doing some researching I found that the MAc book pro does come with a 8600 gt which could definitely play those games..... last time I check ATI X1200 was the highest one they had which would play the games(flight sim x) at like 5 to 10 FPS(im guessing) in windows xp ... so I bow down on that for not researching before i speak ..

but as for price ...
Heres a Mac pro (I tired to find the best price for the best one)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100038
This is priced at $2,794.00

Brand Apple
Series MacBook Pro
Model MB166LL/A
Operation System Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB DDR2
Graphic NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
Display 17" WSXGA+
Hard Drive 250GB
Optical Drive 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Weight 6.8 lbs.

And here is a Dell XPS M1530 that I build from their website
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DYDWHN4&s=dhs
(don't know if the website will show or not)
This is priced at $1824.00
Here are the Components for the Dell

Midnight Blue
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Speed: 250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Finger Print Reader XPS M1530

I tried to get the specs as close as I could the only difference is the screen size , ram , and GPu mem .
So IMHO I think that paying $970 extra just to be able to install a Mac OS X
leopard , lil more GPU ram , and lil bigger screen is not worth it . :D

[/rant]

EatingKidsDaily
July 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Acer - NO

Dell XPS - Yes

Alienware - Yes

Voodoo - Yes

This doesn't even make sense.
Acer is a huge corporatation and they manufacture computers for many companies. Saying no Acer is like saying nothing built in Taiwan, since if your laptop says "made in Taiwan" chances are it's made by Acer.
They are the third largest computer manufacturer in the world, behind HP and Dell.

Reno Computer Repair
July 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
I base my decision on the amount of hardware failures we see in the office.

HP = Power Supply brick/LCD/LCD inverter/mainboard power connectors issues across the board.

Acer = Mainboard power connectors, cpu fans, LCD/LCD inverter/touch pads/hard drives (usually from cooling design).

Compaq = Hard drive failure due to cooling design, secondary fan failures, motherboard failures, power connector/power supply brick failures.

While each manufacturer has weak/strong points, these stick in my head from experiencing first hand the volume of hardware failures.

EatingKidsDaily
July 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
I base my decision on the amount of hardware failures we see in the office.

HP = Power Supply brick/LCD/LCD inverter/mainboard power connectors issues across the board.

Acer = Mainboard power connectors, cpu fans, LCD/LCD inverter/touch pads/hard drives (usually from cooling design).

Compaq = Hard drive failure due to cooling design, secondary fan failures, motherboard failures, power connector/power supply brick failures.

While each manufacturer has weak/strong points, these stick in my head from experiencing first hand the volume of hardware failures.

What's your take on thinkpads?

Reno Computer Repair
July 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thinkpads rarely have hardware failures, they are the most reliable out of the bunch, I just don't like the looks.

Dennis
July 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Thinkpads rarely have hardware failures, they are the most reliable out of the bunch, I just don't like the looks.

I had one at my last job, worked like a champ.

kairo
July 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Seems like $800 is the going price for a laptop that'll do exactly what I want.

Dnmeistr
July 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Only problem with laptops is the video cards are not usually upgradeable and if they are then the upgrade video card is going to be expensive. So buy the laptop with the best video card that you can afford because you are going to be stuck with it for a while.

kairo
July 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Only problem with laptops is the video cards are not usually upgradeable and if they are then the upgrade video card is going to be expensive. So buy the laptop with the best video card that you can afford because you are going to be stuck with it for a while.

w3rd. I've done the card upgrade on laptops before and it's neither cheap, nor easy.