PDA

View Full Version : kubuntu

Dennis
September 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM
i switched from using XP on my primary machine at work to kubuntu. steep learning curve, but it does all i need to do and i have a secondary XP box under my desk, that's connected via Terminal Server to run my Windows-only applications. so far, i like it. :D

nate
September 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM
that is a sick program when you press and hold start menu button on the keyboard and then push tab

Roach
September 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
What, you don't like gnome?

Dennis
September 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
What, you don't like gnome?

Originally, I installed xubuntu, but quickly switched to KDE

nate
September 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
ubuntu is a good program sucks its only on the macs:maddance:

Roach
September 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
ubuntu is linux, it's an operating system that will work on mac and pc.

and it runs off the cd too, so you can play with it before you install.

nate
September 18th, 2008, 03:57 PM
no im talking about i comes already installed on the macs so you dont have to buy it seperate

carbonunit
September 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Ubuntu is great. I have been running it on my laptop and desktop at work for about a year. :thumbsup:. I can use M$ vpn, connect to M$ shares to transfer files, etc... I was running XP in a Virtual machine for a while but I shut it down so I would not depend on it.

Still running XP at home for now. Although I am due for a rebuild.

Roach
September 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM
no im talking about i comes already installed on the macs so you dont have to buy it seperate

You're thinking of boot camp or parallels

Dennis
September 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. Mac OS X is a commercial OS developed by Apple. Mac OS X is Unix-based just like Linux is, but that's where similarities end. GUI is completely different. Yes, you can run Linux on new Intel Macs. Mac OS X costs $130, while most Linux distributions are free. Ubuntu is free, download an ISO, burn it and boot from CD.

Roach
September 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
that is a sick program when you press and hold start menu button on the keyboard and then push tab

This makes me beleive he's talking about Parallels or Boot Camp - For running windows, I think he misunderstood the initial post :D

Gizmatical Fuquad
September 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I have been slowly trying to wean my wife off of Windblows using Ubuntu, my kids are still young enough that they don't know any different.
I plan on having the whole network here running on Ubuntu or some other Linux distro within the coming year. I was a beta tester for both XP and Vista, I ran the beta XP for over six months without ever having to reboot the machine, I loved it!
Vista just sucks a$$ and is why I won't be buying anymore Microshaft crap.

UBUNTU WTF!!

Dennis
September 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
This makes me beleive he's talking about Parallels or Boot Camp - For running windows, I think he misunderstood the initial post :D

Macs don't have Start menu button.

nate
September 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
well grrrrrr to macs

Brizzman
September 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I tried Ubuntu on a system I built. It worked, but I just couldn't get over having to research and tweek every new application. I ended up buying XP for it, even though I ***** about Microsoft.:maddance: Besides, I couldn't find a music program for it that I liked as much as iTunes.

I didn't really plan on giving up on it, but I haven't played with Ubuntu much since.:rolleyes:

KacToE
September 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
All the OS's are all great, but when it's time to roll up the sleaves, XP is my weapon of choice-

Roach
September 23rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
And what exactly do you plan to "attack" with windows XP?

the only OS they have right now that's worth a crap is server 2003/2008.