PDA

View Full Version : apple blues

RARECJ8
September 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
so at work we all converted over from PC to Mac and it's one heck of a learning curve. Still use this old gateway at home and have to learn the Mac way at work. a lot is similar and other stuff seems bassackwards. literally... Anyway, is there hope? at times i get used to the Mac then come home and use this PC and it seems oddly primitive, but old comforts die hard. The small, sleek Mac keyboard causes more typos than this old chunky keyboard. Biggest issue is converting wordperfect docs to word and learning how to keep several 'windows' open at once... but i'll get it... i hope. Anyone else go thru this learning curve? sheesh, just when i was understanding this MS system, now i have to learn another...argh!

mb

Roach
September 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
I can help you install windows on your mac, if you enjoy viruses and spyware that much :D

Snuffy
September 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Mark, i can help with all the mac stuff over a beer or 12! give me a call sometime.

RARECJ8
September 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
will do- have u gotten ur junk welded up yet?

Snuffy
September 24th, 2008, 02:41 AM
not yet, im looking at getting it done by this weekend tho. I have the "red death machine" (87 xj) that im driving in the mean time.....

Phill Kenoyer
September 24th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I converted from Linux to the Mac. Didn't have many problems because Linux/Unix works pretty much like Mac OS. I've never owned a MS Windows system, and what I've seen of them, they are backwards from everyone else.

Dennis
September 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
So it's not really leaning how to use Mac, it's getting away from bassakward way Windows does some things?

Jehu
September 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
IBM had lots of dough in the '70s because of the Selectric typewriter. Every office had one. The advertising blitz they could afford caused them to take the market. That was a bad thing.

When the 80286 (AT) came out, The software they sold for the 8088 wouldn't run on it because it was a 16 bit processor. They had to power up in "real mode". That caused the processor to run as an 8 bit system that "emulated" a 16 bit system. This limited the direct access memory (working ram) to 640 Kilobytes. This was still the case in the early pentiums. That's when I stopped paying attention. I don't know if it ever went away. Microsoft operating systems have been working around the shortcomings ever since.

The Mac never had that problem. It's ironic that the early Macs used the same processor as the Commodore 64. That was a good chip in its day.

Yeti
September 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I can help you install windows on your mac, if you enjoy viruses and spyware that much :D
X2
hahaha!

You'll get used to the Mac - you just have to think logically!

I've been on Mac since the IIE days....mid eighties.
Bought my first in college - '92.
Have NEVER lost any data off any machine - have had a couple bad crashes back in the days of OS7, but was always able to recover.

You'll be happy for the change. Buy a mini for home - you can pick 'em up for $550.

Good luck!
RB

Phill Kenoyer
September 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I've read rumors that Apple is getting ready to release some low cost systems in the next few months. Might want to hold off on buying until Christmas. Usually, they release the new stuff in January, at Mac World.

CashMoney
September 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
you'll learn to hate windows soon...no more blue screens and crashing :thumbsup:

Roach
September 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Unless, like some people, you fiddle with stuff - then you get the Gray screen of dead :nervous:

Also, I use my macbook for everything - 12+ hrs a day for the last 2 years with very few problems (99% of which I caused myself, see above)

Phill Kenoyer
September 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
What's funny is a year ago, 10% of Linux programmers were using Apple MacBook's to write Linux software. LOL.