PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot (ubuntu and Windows XP)

jfrey123
January 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I'm downloading Ubuntu right now as I type. I've got a desktop running PCLinuxOS (friend had me try it) but it has no internet card so I haven't been using it. I'm always using a laptop with Windows XP instead...

Am I correct in remembering that I can load Ubuntu, without wiping windows, and have a choice of running windows or Ubuntu at the boot screen?

Or am I forced to wipe Windows from the laptop?

y0da
January 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
90% sure you can dual boot. I'll let a geek chime in on this one

Shamus30
January 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
From a certified Geek.

Yes you can.....Linky (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/switching/dualboot.html)

My job here is done....

http://www.artfreelancer.com/digital/people/Super_Geek.jpg

SaturnICL
January 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
yes you can run dual boot look on ubunto's site for instructions on how. be aware though that there can be problems so be ready to deal with it. I did it two weeks ago and the grub loader would not work with my bios I kept getting grub boot error 21! :censor:pain in the a$$ to re install the windows boot ini.

Dennis
January 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
yes you can run dual boot look on ubunto's site for instructions on how. be aware though that there can be problems so be ready to deal with it. I did it two weeks ago and the grub loader would not work with my bios I kept getting grub boot error 21! :censor:pain in the a$$ to re install the windows boot ini.

x2. I had the same issue once. make sure to backup everything you need from Windows.

Gizmatical Fuquad
January 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Partition the drive, and install Ubuntu to the non-Windows partition, it will semi-automatically repartition the drive, it's fairly easy. I have been running dual boot as well as multi boot machines for quite a few years, it might be a little daunting the first time, but after that, you will realize that it's fairly easy.
If you need help or run into a problem, feel free to shoot me a PM. :thumbsup: