PDA

View Full Version : One more Tech ?

kittenb
January 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Ok so I got a wireless router yesterday. I am switching to Clearwire from Charter for a while to save $.
Anyways, Is it possible to hook my printer up to the router or do i need something else? Am tired of moving stuff off the laptop onto a flash onto the desktop to print :scratch:

Dennis
January 24th, 2009, 10:56 AM
If your router has USB port, then yes.

Our you can share the printer connected to your desktop, but then the desktop needs to be running when you try to print.

kittenb
January 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
looking at the box, It says "connects to printer with USB mini print server PS121 or mini Print server PS101"

:dunno:

and I cant remember how to share off the desktop which is usually always on

Reno Computer Repair
January 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup: MSHOME

You can right click on My Computer, properties, computer name, then at the bottom domain/workgroup click change. Make both computers part of the MSHOME worgroup, reboot.

Right Click on the printer you want to share, check sharing, then ok.

On the laptop click add printer, network printer, browse for printer, add.
Print test page, done.

kittenb
January 24th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks Kevin! BTW we still need to hook up so I can get that fan done :D
I can probably take it to work with me sometimes this week if that works for you.

Phill Kenoyer
January 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Make sure you turn on your WPA or whatever security or I'll drive by and print reams of paper off your printer. Oh, and I'll read all your email too.

Roach
January 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Make sure you turn on your WPA or whatever security or I'll drive by and print reams of paper off your printer. Oh, and I'll read all your email too.

I once printed a tutorial on wireless encryption setup to my neighbor, that night they secured it :x

kittenb
March 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
ok I am bringing this back from the dead.........

I got everything going, on the same workgroup etc.

Now when I am networking it on my laptop it just says connecting to Lexmark2 forever with a status line. Been about 10 minutes now.

MarkB.NV
March 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I once printed a tutorial on wireless encryption setup to my neighbor, that night they secured it :x

LOL ... now that's a good neighbor! :thumbsup:

I just scan through their winders computers and collect their credit card nos, then order buttloads of p*rn stuff, and some evil terrorist rags. Then to be sure they get on the watch list, send a few hate mails from their gmail accounts. Then joke about it with them at the block party.

Some folks gots no sense of humor I tell yah. :rolleyes:

Rizzo
March 8th, 2009, 03:27 PM
ok I am bringing this back from the dead.........

I got everything going, on the same workgroup etc.

Now when I am networking it on my laptop it just says connecting to Lexmark2 forever with a status line. Been about 10 minutes now.

did you get it fixed?

It really is easier to just purchase a network printer ... you know, a printer that connects directly to your router via cat5.

kittenb
March 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
oh yeah I got it working now Thanks to kevin, Followed his Directions and now that the stupid virus/antivirus program is gone it worked right out.
:thumbsup:

Now I am working on my next project. Camcorder to laptop :rolleyes: