PDA

View Full Version : Internet TV

kittenb
February 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Ok so I am dropping Charter for awhile.
I will miss my cable.

What is the deal with TV on the internet ? I am technically retarded.
What equipment would I need? modem speed ?

I will be using clearwire 1.5meg

help :gapteeth:

Shamus30
February 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM
There are some sketchy not so legal services out there that I would not recommend.

Between Hulu (http://www.hulu.com) and the network sites (abc.com, cbs.com, nbc.com, fox.com etc..), you can catch most of the decent shows including news broadcasts and such.

And with the 1.5MB service from clearwire you may have some issues......it will be watchable, but will be buffering a lot.

4x4nvcowboy
February 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I like hulu.
Also, try the big three websites..cbs.com,nbc.... etc.
Most of the major cable channels have websites that have episodes, like scifi or a&e.
Tv.com is new, i have yet to try them.
Even youtube ....but can be a pain to search.

aphex
February 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Do you want to be able to watch it on your TV or just on the computer?

As mentioned, Hulu is good. Joost has some OK content. They at least provide quick and easy access to watch TV.

There are some other options such as getting a dish and receiver that will do FTA (free to air) shows. You'd be surprised how much TV you can pick up without paying for it (just some equipment).

Reno Computer Repair
February 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hulu is great, as are the network sites.

Another option, if you have Netflix, is if you get a Samsung P1550 (I think that is the model number) Blue Ray Player( or Xbox?) you can connect it to your router, and watch DVD & HD Quality movies from your Netflix Instant Watch Que on your TV, perfect quality. Much better than watching on a desktop/laptop.

Takes about 30 seconds for a movie to start playing, and I have over 200 movies on my que.

jfrey123
February 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
+1 on Netflix. I can cue them to watch on my laptop, or send them to the xbox 360 over the internet.

kittenb
February 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Ok I have an Xbox 360 but dunno how to hook it up to the internet:sick:

Shamus30
February 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ok I have an Xbox 360 but dunno how to hook it up to the internet:sick:

A couple of ways:

Either direct networked to your hub, or wireless with an adapter (the xbox wireless adapter sucks and I don't recommend you use it unless you have to).

How close is your internet connection to the xbox, and do you already have a router (wireless or otherwise)?

Secondly you will need an xbox live gold account ($59 per year).

And I highly recommend the netflix account with unlimited streaming (around $8.99 a month i think).

Once you have you xbox online and activated on xbox live, you will see the netflix as a downloadable app in the Video Marketplace.

download it, run it and follow the instructions (you will need to type a device code into netflix.com that is provided by your xbox when you first run the Netflix app.)

kittenb
February 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
A couple of ways:

Either direct networked to your hub, or wireless with an adapter (the xbox wireless adapter sucks and I don't recommend you use it unless you have to).

How close is your internet connection to the xbox, and do you already have a router (wireless or otherwise)?

Secondly you will need an xbox live gold account ($59 per year).

And I highly recommend the netflix account with unlimited streaming (around $8.99 a month i think).

Once you have you xbox online and activated on xbox live, you will see the netflix as a downloadable app in the Video Marketplace.

download it, run it and follow the instructions (you will need to type a device code into netflix.com that is provided by your xbox when you first run the Netflix app.)

:sick: Iheard Greek greek greek $59 greek greek

Ed do you understand this ?
Cant I just use tools somewhere instead ?:squint:

Shamus30
February 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM
:sick: Iheard Greek greek greek $59 greek greek

Ed do you understand this ?
Cant I just use tools somewhere instead ?:squint:

I'll simplify:

Call Kevin :D

jfrey123
February 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
OOoooooorrrrr,

Just watch the movies on your computer like I do half the time and you've got nothing to try and fawk with. :thumbsup:

kittenb
February 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok after talking to Kevin today and him being shocked that I am probably the only person in Nevada that doesnt have netflix account I went and signed up for one. :nervous:

Shamus30
February 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Ok after talking to Kevin today and him being shocked that I am probably the only person in Nevada that doesnt have netflix account I went and signed up for one. :nervous:

Cool, did he get you straightened out on the xbox360 setup?

kittenb
February 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Cool, did he get you straightened out on the xbox360 setup?

errrr no. He actually has my desktop today placing his "z" on it :thumbsup:

I will probably just stream from my laptop for now. Maybe down the road I will fork out more $ for the Xbox live thingy

Shamus30
February 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
errrr no. He actually has my desktop today placing his "z" on it :thumbsup:

Make sure he uses hand sanitizer after he does that :sick:

Reno Computer Repair
February 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
KittenDust - See the clump on the RAM? :wave::thumbsup:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/KittenDust002.jpg

CPU Fan, 80% blocked:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/KittenDust003.jpg

= Full can of compressed air. My powertank is out and compressor is DOA.

More pics Wed.

I needed a "Silkwood" shower after cleaning the case, holy dust storm! Power supply was also full of goodies.

kittenb
February 10th, 2009, 07:59 PM
HAHAHAHA OK so maybe more than once a month I need to blow it out :nervous:

Reno Computer Repair
February 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Here is the sparkler now, cooling fins are clear of obstruction:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/renohomes/KittenDust2006.jpg

kittenb
February 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
:thumbsup:

BTW
I am currently watching fawlty Towers on netflix :D

Reno Computer Repair
February 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Better Flick: Contract with Morgan Freeman:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It took two hours to defrag the "backup" drive.

Check the Showtime/Starz section under Instant Que, pretty much anything they are showing this month is on there.

kittenb
February 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Better Flick in Contract with Morgan Freeman:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It took two hours to defrag the "backup" drive.

Check the Showtime/Starz section under Instant Que, pretty much anything they are showing this month is on there.

yeah ummmm the backup drive gets stuff put on it then written to a dvd alot ;)