PDA

View Full Version : New computor and old files

Showroom
March 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I need some help. We got a new PC. It has Windows Vista. Our old computer is XP. Other than moving everything to a flash drive on the old PC then plugging it into the new one, is there an easier way? Can i hook up a USB cable from one to the other, and drag the files over to the new PC? These are things like pictures, music, and such.

How about programs like Quicken?

commando
March 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
network

Dennis
March 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Have an ethernet cable?

Showroom
March 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, I have an ethernet cable. Hook the two PC's together?

Gizmatical Fuquad
March 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
You'll need to have a router or switch or network "hub" or you can use a "cross-over" cable directly between the two pc's. A standard network cable between the two will accomplish nothing.
In regards to your software, you will need to have the installation disc or file, install the program on the new pc, then you can move the saved data from one pc to the other.

Showroom
March 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Would it be easier to just load the pics and docs on a flashdrive, then move those over? The only program I have is quicken.

commando
March 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
or burn cd's...then you'll have a hard copy too (which you ought to have anyways)

Bitosin
March 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
You'll need to have a router or switch or network "hub" or you can use a "cross-over" cable directly between the two pc's. A standard network cable between the two will accomplish nothing.
In regards to your software, you will need to have the installation disc or file, install the program on the new pc, then you can move the saved data from one pc to the other.

After doing that, you'll find that half your stuff doesn't work on Vista anyway and you'll find yourself screwed...Microsoft Vista is a piece of junk ! I have one that just sits here because most programs that weren't written for it don't work. It is also harder to navigate and find stuff.

I HATE VISTA !!! :pissed::censor::maddance: Other than that, have fun with your new computer!

Showroom
March 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Glad I can krawl betther than upgrade PC's. If I install the new quicken program on the new pc, the backup the info from the old pc on a disc, then put that disc in the new PC, will it automatically update?

Rizzo
March 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Just wipe the new computer, install XP (if you want to keep windows) and transfer data using a burned DVD/CD or a flash drive. Easy as pie.

Gizmatical Fuquad
March 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Glad I can krawl betther than upgrade PC's. If I install the new quicken program on the new pc, the backup the info from the old pc on a disc, then put that disc in the new PC, will it automatically update?

In a word, no. You have to manually move the data, irregardless of whether you use a network connection, flash-drive, or CD/DVD. It doesn't matter what OS you use, that's just the way it is. Or you can pay a pro or bribe a computer literate friend to do it for you, no matter how you slice it, it's gonna be a PITA.

As far as Vista is concerned, good luck with that. I was a beta tester for the POS and removed it from my systems within a week. It's almost as bad ( or maybe worse in some regards) as Windows ME.

I have the beta for Windows 7 but have been to busy with other stuff to install it and try it out.

Your best bet is to buy some books or take a class and learn Linux, 'cause I don't anticipate Microshaft to get any better. Each new release is just an increase in system resources required to do the same job.

But what do I know, I'm just an unemployed plumber. :gapteeth:

Shinobi
March 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
a good way to do it is to take the hdd out from the old one and plug it in to the new computer and transfer that way ..

Reno Computer Repair
March 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Remove any passwords you have on the XP box.

Make sure the Quicken you install on Vista is 2007 or above.
Backup the Quicken QDF file to your flash drive.
Install on the Vista PC, then on Quicken first run wizard choose restore file, then point to the QDF file on the flash drive. Enter you password (if any), and done.

Tramsferring the Data over the network could be problematic unless you have the LLTD patch installed on the XP box, so just remove the old hard drive, set as a slave, install into the new box. Copy & paste NOT CUT the old My Documents, Favorites, Desktop Items, and Email PST or DBX files to the new hard drive.

If that is too much, then you can borrow my USB SATA/IDE hard drive enclosure.