PDA

View Full Version : News Story - Some PC Repair shops FAIL

Reno Computer Repair
May 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Sent this by my co-worker this morning. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Watch the end of the video where they talk about the BBB switching reports to a different state. Nice to see what corporate money can accomplish.:bs:

The Geek Squad charging 580.00 for a "broken" hard drive :dig::dig::censor:

http://www.kptv.com/video/19513766/index.html

Pariah
May 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
It pays to be an informed consumer. A little research can save you a lot of money.

Reminds me of one time I went into Best Buy to pick up something at the counter and there was this couple infront of me who brought in their PC to get it checked. The "geek" behind the counter was explaining that they had found about 1100 "issues" with viruses and such on their PC. And for only $120 he would install AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy and fix the issues he had found. I did a polite "Excuse me" to the couple and told them they could get those programs free from the internet. The "geek" was a bit miffed, he tried to hide it, and explained that the $120 wasn't for the programs but a diagnosis and install fee. They told him they could do it them selves and thanked me for saving them $120. :D

solja4jc
May 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Sent this by my co-worker this morning. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Watch the end of the video where they talk about the BBB switching reports to a different state. Nice to see what corporate money can accomplish.:bs:

The Geek Squad charging 580.00 for a "broken" hard drive :dig::dig::censor:

http://www.kptv.com/video/19513766/index.html

Geek squad wanted $250, just to install windows home edition on a laptop my I bought my sister a while back.

CHARGING $250 FOR A FREAKIN INSTALL WHICH SHE HAD THE REBOOT CD'S OMG

misterfnygy
May 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Notice that the shops that did well were smaller, locally owned places. BUY LOCAL!!

And the BBB is just a money making machine, I do not see their worth

Gizmatical Fuquad
May 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, the Geek Squad is a joke that ain't funny.
I typically have the same attitude in computer stores as I have in electronic supply stores, just leave me alone, I'll find what I need. Over the years I have fixed many a computer that got FUBARed by a computer repair service shop technician that didn't have a clue.

No offense meant to Kevin, as I understand it, he is pretty good at it and actually knows the difference between his ass and a whole in the ground, which is way more than I can say for the "Geek Squad" as well as many other big box stores and even (unfortunately) many local small shops.