PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up home network

Pariah
June 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM
This is kind of long so please bear with me. We are on satalite internet and its raining so access is intermittent so I'm posting as much information as I can at once to cover any questions about what we are trying.

I'm trying to network the computers at my dad's cabin. We've got the router running and all the computers are accessing the internet just fine. But we cannot get the computers to connect to each other.

We have a laptop running XP service pack 1, another laptop running XP service pack 3 and a desktop running XP service pack 2.

It started with the desktop not seeing the workgroup but the two laptops could see the workgroup and access each other (but couldnot . Now the desktop can see the workgroup but cannot access the laptops and the laptops cannot see the workgroup.

We've tried a lot of things but still can't get the computers to see each other.

On the desktop we've disabled the XP firewall and uninstalled the other software firewalls. We also uninstalled the Webroot antivirus and some spyware blocker (there are no antivirus or firewall programs running now but we will install Avast antivirus later instead). Ive gone into the NIC cards and disabled the XP firewall protection on the cards. I've also made sure the Computer Browser service is running and have gone into the registery to set the REG_DWORD restrictanonymous value to 0. We've also tried different names for the workgroup and made sure the guest account is active.

I can ping each computer sucessfully (desktop to laptops and laptops to desktop).

We left the computers running overnight and now I can see the workgroup on the desktop (the desktop and two laptops) but I cannot access either of the laptops. Yesterday the laptops could see the workgroup (the desktop and two laptops) and each laptop could access eachother but not the desktop. Today the laptops cannot see the workgroup at all.

Right now we are removing the firewalls on the laptops and we are going to restart the Computer Browser on each computer.

I've exhausted every trick I know so if anyone can suggest other solutions I'd much appreciate it.

kittenb
June 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Call Kevin ( Reno Computer Repair ) 722-6969 :thumbsup:

Dennis
June 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM
File and Printer sharing turned on?

Dennis
June 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

Pariah
June 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Forgot to mention I'm in Minnesota right now.

Pariah
June 17th, 2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/default.mspx

Spent a lot of time on there last night. The laptops started working out of the gate just the desktop didn't. Now today the problem is reversed.

Dennis
June 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Get all the computers on the same service pack. SP3 had a few changes to the wireless/networking, maybe you have a conflict.

Reno Computer Repair
June 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM
All the computers need to be SP3, file & print sharing enabled, on the same network name (mshome, workgroup, etc.). SP2 is when the XP firewall was integrated into the OS.

Remove any firewall programs, or any Anti-Virus programs with an integrated firewall like that POS known as Norton.

Which folders are you trying to share over the network?

In the advanced properties of each computer's ethernet connection (or WIFI), make sure the file sharing box is checked.

Pariah
June 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
All the computers need to be SP3, file & print sharing enabled, on the same network name (mshome, workgroup, etc.). SP2 is when the XP firewall was integrated into the OS.

Remove any firewall programs, or any Anti-Virus programs with an integrated firewall like that POS known as Norton.

Which folders are you trying to share over the network?

In the advanced properties of each computer's ethernet connection (or WIFI), make sure the file sharing box is checked.

Got all that covered (except for matching the service packs). We are just trying to share the shared documents and the printer.

Pariah
June 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Just found a solution that worked: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903267/en-us

File sharing is now working, but still can't get the printer sharing working yet. Trying a few things right now.

Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate you time.

EDIT: PRINTER FEEXED!!!! :D

This is going to make things so much eaiser for my dad. He writes poetry on the laptop and saves it on the desktop by burning a disc on the laptop and then copying it on the desktop. He's really excited to have a shared network and internet connection.