PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Scammers

Ampdraw
August 19th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Been shopping for a new house over the past several weeks. Got kind of frustrated looking at all the foreclosures listed, the banks seem to be pulling some kind of scam themselves with these. Find a house your interested in (hours spent searching before you even leave home to look). Drive by the place just to check it out, then if you still like it you set an appointment to see it. See one you like, make an offer, then a week later the bank takes the house off the market. A month goes by and now you see the same houses on the market again but for 3 times what they were originally asking. What a waste of time.

So I thought I'd give craigslist a shot and see what I could find on there. Found about 8 houses I wanted to go check out on Sunday, mostly what I was looking for, great prices. Of those 8 houses, once I drove by (didn't contact any sellers yet) it stood out right away that something was wrong. A lot more house for such a low asking price. 3 of the houses had no for sale signs up at all and people were clearly living in them. The others had realtor signs up with contact info that didn't match what was on craigslist.

So I actually contacted 2 of the established realtors that had signs up, and yes the obvious was true, the houses were a considerable amount more than the craigslist ads were showing. The realtors also said they and the District Attorney and FBI were aware of the craigslist listings and its being investigated, but its difficult to catch the people doing it because they use bogus email addresses and phone forwarding services, etc...

It begs the question of if they know these listings (and likely many others) were scams, then why would they leave the listings available for people to get scammed by.

For a scam to have any point the scammer must at some point be trying to obtain money out of the scam, though I can't imagine how. Do they honestly think someone is just going to use PayPal to pay for a house and freely shovel off the money this way?

I can understand how it would be impossible to trace a phone number or email address back to an actual person, even with the power of the man. Yet, the money has to be going somewhere. If the FBI is actually looking into this (I have my doubts) then it should be easy enough for them to just follow fake funds to the person who receives them. Sure, if the person turns out to be in Nigeria or something and out of US jurisdiction there's little that can be done, but it still all begs the question of who in the F*** would be stupid enough to send money to Nigeria (or anywhere for that matter) to buy a house over the internet?

I can't imagine the persons behind such a scam can possibly be getting very rich off this, but dam what an annoyance they are. A full day wasted.

Reno Computer Repair
August 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I think there was a thread about this same subject a few months ago, but for home rentals as opposed to sales. Anyone who would send money to an owner claiming to be from anywhere in Africa is beyond me. Too many scams, too much corruption for me to take anyone claiming to be from that area serious. Too many owners live here in the states, that is all I would trust, of course after meeting them and running a check with the Washoe County Recorder. Always get a laugh how the scam & E-mail scams say "god bless".

The title companies compile weekly lists of forclosures, as well as homes that are nearing the foreclosure zone. You may want to contact them, they gave it out to Realtors free when I was in the business.

89jeepcpl
August 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM
This has become a joke, I work in the foreclosure biz, getting them ready for sale.

The banks are not interested in selling!! they are testing the waters for down the road.

They figure if you can offer ( x ) amount now, they can get more in a month or two. It's :censor:

Ampdraw
August 20th, 2009, 01:08 AM
This has become a joke, I work in the foreclosure biz, getting them ready for sale.

The banks are not interested in selling!! they are testing the waters for down the road.

They figure if you can offer ( x ) amount now, they can get more in a month or two. It's :censor:Its really frustrating, you think you finally found the right house, get your hopes up, then the rug gets pulled out from under you.

Looking at houses was fun at first, but now its just become such a chore. I refuse to cave in though, I know what I want and what I want to spend. If they want the economy to recover they should stop frustrating buyers in this way.

Ampdraw
August 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I think there was a thread about this same subject a few months ago, but for home rentals as opposed to sales. Anyone who would send money to an owner claiming to be from anywhere in Africa is beyond me. Too many scams, too much corruption for me to take anyone claiming to be from that area serious. Too many owners live here in the states, that is all I would trust, of course after meeting them and running a check with the Washoe County Recorder. Always get a laugh how the scam & E-mail scams say "god bless".

The title companies compile weekly lists of forclosures, as well as homes that are nearing the foreclosure zone. You may want to contact them, they gave it out to Realtors free when I was in the business.The curiosity over just what exactly they were trying to pull did get the best of me. I fired up the Squid Proxy and sent them some emails to play along and see just what they are up to. No surprise, no responses yet. If I do get any bites I'll update this thread with some cut and paste of the conversations, probably won't be anything shocking, I'm guessing along the mentality of...

"Hello friend, I am amerekan busyness man on busy in Nigeria and have flat for sale in US of A state Nevoda. If you send deposit monee I will hold for you and it will be yours. I must sell fast becuz I very busy.

Your friend,
Borat"

WILLD420
August 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
A little tip.

Contact the bank and make them an offer that is .60-.70 cents on the dollar for what they are asking. Write the contract so you can back out at any time, for any reason.

That puts the ball in their court, and shows them the value of the house in this market.

Right now, Ihave some contacts that are getting houses that are appraised at 450K for 190-260 depending on location and condition. The same house sold for 550-700K 3 years ago.

It's a buyers market, use a good agent. If you don't know one, I can point you in a couple good directions.

AtoZ
August 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Okay looked at Craigslist for a house and sent an email to the craigslist listed contact and got ver supicious reply. Person said I would need to go to their favorit Credit Check webpage to bet quaified to house. So here is what I think you fill out what you think is a valid credit check app and your really just giving someone all your financial info. So you lose and they get your info.
I HATE SCAMMERS.

O' I used a Hotmail account I just created to do this so I don't have to lose my usual email account to some a$$hole.

cheers

Ampdraw
August 21st, 2009, 03:30 AM
If I'm buying a house from someone my credit report is none of their business, that's the business of the place I'm getting the money from, not who I'm paying it to.

I'd never rent from a place either that wants me to pay them for a credit check. I'm renting the place from them, not buying it, they can find some other moron willing to pay them a credit check or application fee.

Thats a good point though, didn't even think about that, probably how the scams are working for sure. Pay them $30 for a credit check, they pocket the money and don't even do a credit check, or worse have all your personal information, and you never hear from them again. Small dollar amount so no official agency like the FBI is ever going to bother investigating any of it.

leifnv
September 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
The curiosity over just what exactly they were trying to pull did get the best of me. I fired up the Squid Proxy and sent them some emails to play along and see just what they are up to. No surprise, no responses yet. If I do get any bites I'll update this thread with some cut and paste of the conversations, probably won't be anything shocking, I'm guessing along the mentality of...

"Hello friend, I am amerekan busyness man on busy in Nigeria and have flat for sale in US of A state Nevoda. If you send deposit monee I will hold for you and it will be yours. I must sell fast becuz I very busy.

Your friend,
Borat"

This one is funny, is people really believing in these scammers?

I responded to an ad on Craigslist and got this response:

Thanks for your email,

I am Johnson Felicia, the owner of the Apartment you are making enquiry, The square ft, is 1,600 sq. ft. it is located at 9547 Autumn Leaf Way Reno, NV 89506-4504 and it is spacious for you, you can move in as soon as the deposit is paid, I resided in the house, before I got a new job with the World Health Organization and now resides in London, the house will be perfect for you, it goes as low as 750$ per month including the utilities, and I will prefer a tenant that will take absolute care of the house as his/her own, the deposit is 750$ and you are not paying deposit for pets if any. All I need from you is to maintain the house, as yours
Do provide the information below:

KINDLY CONFIRM YOUR INTEREST BY FILLING THE FORM BELOW.
TENANT RENT APPLICATION FORM
FIRST NAME: __________________ LAST NAME: __________________
PROFESSION: ______________ PHONE (___ __________ (CELL) PHONE (___________ (WORK)PHONE (___________ (HOME) KIDS _____ (YES/NO) HOW MANY ________ PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________ CITY: _______________ STATE_____________ ZIPCODE: ____________ HOW LONG? ___________IF RENTING WHY ARE YOU LEAVING? IF THIS PROPERTY IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU, HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?____________ WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? _____________ IF YOU HAVE A PET, NAME OF PET: _____________ KIND OF PETS: ____None_________ HABITS

I look forward to read your reply with all the details.

Regards,
Johnson Felicia
Ph:+447045758775 (Direct cell)

EAmotorsports
September 28th, 2009, 12:18 PM
That would be great if there really was an 9547 Autumn Leaf Way in reno