PDA

View Full Version : Best internet for price in Reno

kairo
August 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM
My clearwire contract is up in october, thank god.
Who do I want for internet? ATT DSL seems the most reasonable in terms of speed for price?

Phill Kenoyer
August 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
They all suck. Just get the cheapest.

Blazin 93
August 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I had charter, but at my new house they don't offer service, so I had to get dsl from att, because they were the only one that offers service there. It's $35 a month (Less than I was paying with charter) for there fastest speed. I am very happy with it so far, it's faster than charter was, but it does have a 80gb a month cap on it, which does not bother me because I'll never use that much.

kairo
August 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
They all suck. Just get the cheapest.

Don't you have a T1? :D

Jehu
August 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Who do I want for internet? ATT DSL seems the most reasonable in terms of speed for price?

Be very cautious about their policy for canceling. You need to put the order to cancel in and wait for return labels for your equipment. Then they get shipped back to their facility and checked. After your equipment is checked then they authorize the cancellation. Until then, they consider your account to be active at full price. This process took almost three months for my account.

If you don't pay then they put a collections ding on your credit report almost immediately. I recommend avoiding Clearwire completely.

Shinobi
August 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM

congratulations !!! I hated clearwire with a passion !!!! I was so happy when my contract was up .... att dsl has a good prices but u will be stuck on a contract and its also kinda slow , I don't even know if they will go all the way to where u live , last time I tried to get Att they said they didn't provide dsl where I lived which was in golden valley . Sadly all thats left is charter they are pricey but pretty reliable and fast .

GO4X4IT
August 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I had better service/speed with AT&T as well as pricing..

Charter has been a PITA, At least once a week I will have a blackout of some sort, prices are higher...yada yada yada... I am going to switch back to AT&T soon..

Reno Rocks
August 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm glad this Thread came up. I have been thinking about switching from ATT to Charter to see if I can save money. Right now we have expanded basic cable through Charter for $56, and our house phone and DSL internet through ATT for about $54. I thought if I got rid of the house phone and rolled the internet into my Charter cable I could possibly save a few $$$. I called Charter the other night, and they said it would be about $118 for expanded basic and internet, which is more than I'm paying separately, so I didn't do it. Now after hearing about people being unhappy with Charter internet, I'm glad I didn't. Is there any cheaper bundle for TV and Internet than around $110 a month?

Blazin 93
August 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM
congratulations !!! I hated clearwire with a passion !!!! I was so happy when my contract was up .... att dsl has a good prices but u will be stuck on a contract and its also kinda slow , I don't even know if they will go all the way to where u live , last time I tried to get Att they said they didn't provide dsl where I lived which was in golden valley . Sadly all thats left is charter they are pricey but pretty reliable and fast .

I don't have a contract with att, they said I can cancel anytime, maybe they changed recently, I just got mine last week. I did have to buy the modem though ($49)

solja4jc
August 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM
honestly i dont know what you guys are smokin but, before i moved i was with att uverse.

#1 i had no contract

#2 i got 6meg internet and uverse(like cable)

#3 they gave me free dvr which is awsome

#4 the uverse i got the High Definition package only $5 more a month

#5 all of that and i was paying 108.78 a month.

Never had a problem with them at all and it wasnt a 12month intro price.

I lived in south meadows at the time

XXXXXXX
August 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I have had charter for years, I don't seem to have the problems Josh has...

Charter has a lot of prices for the same thing, you need to keep calling till you get someone that will deal.

I was paying about 200/mo and when my contract was up they raised it to about $270/mo., I was going to cancel and got ahold of someone that would deal. I now pay $145/mo. I have every HD channel,3 HD recorders, charter phone and internet, It was worth the time to make a deal...

Shinobi
August 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
honestly i dont know what you guys are smokin but, before i moved i was with att uverse.

#1 i had no contract

#2 i got 6meg internet and uverse(like cable)

#3 they gave me free dvr which is awsome

#4 the uverse i got the High Definition package only $5 more a month

#5 all of that and i was paying 108.78 a month.

Never had a problem with them at all and it wasnt a 12month intro price.

I lived in south meadows at the time

dude if uverse was available in our area I would have had it a long time ago but since its only available downtown & south end of town (to my knowlege) we are SOL ...

I don't have a contract with att, they said I can cancel anytime, maybe they changed recently, I just got mine last week. I did have to buy the modem though ($49)

really ?? I guess I have to look into them when I move thanks

Phill Kenoyer
August 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Don't you have a T1? :D

I used to have a T1. I moved all my servers to Slicehost and dropped the T1 to save $600/mo.

Now I have wireless and it pretty much sucks. I drive to work to use their DSL, and it's not much better with a 128mbps upload cap. Moving work files up the the server is the suck at ISDN speed. But at least isn't not offline 30% of the time.

I don't have any other option in my area except Cell Phone tethering. Talk about slow motion.

But even with my T1, the service sucked. Outages all the time, even with a SLA. So they just all suck.

Ampdraw
August 20th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I agree they all suck!

I currently have all 3, Clearwire, SBCGlobal DSL (AT&T) and Charter, just dropped Verizon for sucking so bad and they all suck. Clearwire always works, but speeds are never even close to what they claim, ever, not even half, most times its slower than dial up. The DSL has the same problems, it works ok sometimes, most of the time its a dog, sometimes it isn't working at all. Charter is fast, when its working, but is out more often than any of them, and always at the worst possible time. When Charter is working I can get faster speeds than the over loaded T3 at UNR or TMCC. If I was forced to choose just one out of all of them I'd probably go with Charter, at least when it is working its not annoying to use, it's gotten better, its only down around once a week now. "no problems on our end" everytime you call any of them, like I don't know how to use fricking trace route and ping to know better.

I'd favor the one least annoying to use when it is working and that would be Charter hands down. Not my perfect world choice, but the least annoying from the options available. Just wish they had a help desk counter you could walk up to in person when you had problems, that way you could get your hands around the SOB's throat and choke on them a little when they try to default to it must be a problem with your computer, we aren't showing any outages.

GO4X4IT
August 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM
dude if uverse was available in our area I would have had it a long time ago but since its only available downtown & south end of town (to my knowlege) we are SOL ...

I had u-verse at my house on Van Ness (old NW).. It was great!
I hope they make it available for the whole valley..

a single DVR for the whole house.. records up to 4 shows at once, and you can play them back on ANY tv in the house:eek:

I loved it. It has a ticker you can pop up kinda like Charters' moxi box... I had it to display local news, traffic and weather.. kinda useless, but cool

Ampdraw
August 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Something else they all do to trick you into thinking they are faster than they give you, they all give you this initial burst of speed, then it dogs down and rapidly degrades during your connection time. Obviously they are doing this to try and trick the speed test web sites into displaying faster speeds than they actually give you since those "test sites" only do short term connection testing.

The FCC and Federal Regulations should require all of them to deliver on promised speeds, not be allowed to get away with fine print wording to disclaim their own advertised speeds which are never even close to real life.

UrbnKrwlr
August 20th, 2009, 06:09 AM
only problem i have had with charter in the past is there modems suck. . . . the modem charter supplied would constantly drop service, finally i bought a cable modem of my own and that seemed to solve the dropping of service. . . . i recently switched to clearwire to try to save a bit of money. . . .worst mistake ever. clearwire SUCKS!!!! i will be going back to charter soon. . . .its a bit more expensive than the rest but it is worth it IMO. . .