PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to go wireless mouse?

kairo
September 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've always been wary of wireless response times for peripherals and hardware. My MS explorer mouse (god love it) is on its last legs after 7 years of faithful service. Was thinking about going wireless, but don't want to get fragged if it lags by .25 milliseconds. Online games are important dammit :censor:

Gizmatical Fuquad
September 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
If you're a gamer, then I would avoid the wireless stuff. I have some wireless stuff sitting in a drawer if you want to try before you buy, I won't use them 'cause they suck.

GO4X4IT
September 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I have a wireless optical mouse.. it works good.. but sometimes it loses its connection and you have to re-sync. .

So now I just use a wired optical mouse

Dennis
September 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I prefer wired for my desktops. I use a wireless with my laptop, but it does lag sometimes. Get a good quality wired laser mouse (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/5092&cl=us,en).

PizzaJeep
September 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM
you guys are kidding, right?? ive been running the MS wireless optical mouse for like 2 years and have loved every second of it. 2 AA batteries last about 8 months, and the software drivers that you can download from MS's website has incredibly cool features to help with telling you when your batteries are getting low among other cool things.

i cant say ive ever been worried about lag time, i notice no difference between a wired vs wireless mouse except that i love having fewer cords on my desktop.

Reno Computer Repair
September 10th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I prefer wired as well, but the wireless I use has no lag with online games. The new desk did not afford me the option of wired.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8318974&type=product&id=1174694191939

Ampdraw
September 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM
The wireless keyboards are nice. I tried the wireless mice and went back to the cord though. Response time and performance all seemed fine, my issue was battery life. For some reason the batteries in the keyboards last forever, but the cordless mice just eat them up constantly.

I tried the first generation Logitech stuff years ago and had that problem, I've randomly tried several others newer and since then and still the same issue, annoyingly horrible battery life in the mice.

I also have this odd attachment to the mouse I have. Not sure what it is, but I've gone through many keyboards and computers over the years, but still have this one old first generation USB Logitech M-BJ69 mouse I've had and use for probably almost 10 years now, the same one.

I've tried other mice, thinking there sure are some fancy must be better ones out there, but something about this one I just like, perfect weight, perfect shape. I'm sure no one sells these anymore, if it ever did break on me I'd go through the trouble of taking it apart and fixing it.

I can't stand laptop touch pads and sticks either, got to have that mouse plugged in. Wanted to go with a laser mouse, just because its more sensitive for stuff like photo shop editing, but then they seem too sensitive for anything else.

When I got my 24" Widescreen HD monitor for plugging the laptop into I gave cordless another try. Thought it would be nice kicking back on the couch and being able to still see the screen at high res from across the room.

Went with the Logitech diNOVO Edge...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en

It sure looked nice, matched the Samsung monitor and worked great, I even tried getting use to its touch pad and no mouse for a while. Then after just three months the rechargeable battery in it took a crap and now its stuffed away somewhere in a box as I keep thinking I need to send the thing back while its still in warranty but put off doing.

Tys 4x4 FTW
September 13th, 2009, 12:33 AM
i have a small logitech wireless mouse. cost like 45 bucks or something like that. works great! never had a problem and i've had the same batteries in it for the last 6 months.

FallonJeeper
September 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I've used both, for the regular stuff like web surfing, documents, photo editing, and gaming. I never really noticed much of a differncee as far as lag goes. But if you hold a button, or buttons down for actions in a game or application, you'll burn those batteries out fast.

Changing the batteries out is not a big deal, but you'll experience the missed clicks and random movement until you do. If you're in the middle of a big on-line gaming fight were quick clicks and precise mouse movement for aiming are required, you don't want the mouse to start acting up because the battery is low.

For this reason I use a wired USB optical mouse. Never failed, no mouse ball tro clean, batteries never run low.

solja4jc
September 13th, 2009, 08:30 AM
if you like gaming, pm either me or kanin. We used to game online and went to tourneys and stuff. The best gaming mouse ive used is wired, but they dont make em anymore. I saw 2 left at best buy in spanish springs. mx518 best mouse money can buy

ZIPGRAVER
September 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I've been using a MS wireless mouse for about 4 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Of course I don't play games. It goes through 2 AA batteries every 6 months or so.

PhantomRage
September 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
If you're a gamer, then I would avoid the wireless stuff. I have some wireless stuff sitting in a drawer if you want to try before you buy, I won't use them 'cause they suck.

you can take all that wireless stuff and put it in a bag for me to take home. :D

J.J.
September 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I've got this one http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=013

Works great. Much better than the wireless ones I've had in the past :thumbsup:.

Bitosin
September 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
My wireless optical mouse works just fine with no complaints. As for the lagtime while gaming, I've never noticed any problem with solitare or any other games.:D

MotoMatt
September 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
if your computer has bluetooth i have a bluetooth mouse im thinkin of selling. my computer is whacking out and my bluetooth stopped working on my computer all together so my mouse is kinda useless right now:rolleyes:

Ampdraw
September 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Bluetooth is one I haven't tried for normal peripherals. I use a hack on my Verizon phone for a Bluetooth internet connection on my laptop because Verizon would otherwise want to charge me more for the same. Its always worked great. Not sure it would help my only complaint though, battery life. For the people saying batteries last them 6-8 months, I have to think your actual computer seat time must be considerably less than my own. I haven't seen a wireless mouse yet that lasts me more than 2 weeks, 8 months I could tolerate.