PDA

View Full Version : AT&T vs Charter

MrHappy
September 15th, 2009, 10:14 AM
My AT&T DSL was down all day yesterday.

The Short:
I was on hold long enough for me to dig out my Charter modem and matching power brick, hook it all up, call Charter and get their service up and running. Click by by AT&T....

The Long:
I called their support and got the run around. I have my drop in the garage and then switched into each room. They wanted me to drag a computer out there so I could test a direct connect to their modem. I said no, I am connected to your ATM and I have a local address from you, your PPPOE server is not responding I just want to know if you can fix this or if there is an outage. She puts me on hold and then blind transfers me to Level 2 where I waited in Muzac hell.

The Longer:
I called today to cancel my AT&T and I could hear a lady in the background telling everyone in the room that "If you get any calls from Nevada there is an outage and to tell people they are working on it." That is all I wanted to know yesterday. The guy offered me 50% off for the next 6 months but I told him Charter gave me the same deal and I wanted AT&T to hurt a little. I also made them credit me for Monday. They guy says, sir it's only $1.16, it told him that MY $1.16. LOL

The Longer Still:
Yesterday was my little girls 2nd birthday and we were coordinating things online because people were bringing stuff and carpooling. Plus my wife was planning a WoW party afterwords. I was dicking around with AT&T while I should have been eating cake and pie with my special girl. I guess they just struck a nerve and I felt the need to get petty. :pissed: :pissed: :D

StaleAle
September 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Yah .... there was an RT outage here yesterday. Sorry you got the wrong person. They should have just let you know. Did you get a name by chance or know what office they were in?

Battlecock
September 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM
My AT&T DSL was down all day yesterday.

The Short:
I was on hold long enough for me to dig out my Charter modem and matching power brick, hook it all up, call Charter and get their service up and running. Click by by AT&T....

The Long:
I called their support and got the run around. I have my drop in the garage and then switched into each room. They wanted me to drag a computer out there so I could test a direct connect to their modem. I said no, I am connected to your ATM and I have a local address from you, your PPPOE server is not responding I just want to know if you can fix this or if there is an outage. She puts me on hold and then blind transfers me to Level 2 where I waited in Muzac hell.

The Longer:
I called today to cancel my AT&T and I could hear a lady in the background telling everyone in the room that "If you get any calls from Nevada there is an outage and to tell people they are working on it." That is all I wanted to know yesterday. The guy offered me 50% off for the next 6 months but I told him Charter gave me the same deal and I wanted AT&T to hurt a little. I also made them credit me for Monday. They guy says, sir it's only $1.16, it told him that MY $1.16. LOL

The Longer Still:
Yesterday was my little girls 2nd birthday and we were coordinating things online because people were bringing stuff and carpooling. Plus my wife was planning a WoW party afterwords. I was dicking around with AT&T while I should have been eating cake and pie with my special girl. I guess they just struck a nerve and I felt the need to get petty. :pissed: :pissed: :D

Thread jack :nervous: Did somebody say "WoW" party?

tkaltenbach
September 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Charter does have way better internet. But if you are a long time customer of charter's, you get the shaft on the price. I ended up switching to at&t because I was with charter for 5 years and they decided I was no longer eligible for the cheap rates. So that was 10 months ago, DSL is quite a bit slower but it was bearable for home use. Well over the last month or so I noticed a significant slow down from the already slow DSL. I call and they say they have recently "revamped" their network and I am no longer even in a coverage area for DSL. WTF? I live right off of Double R Blvd. So all they can do is credit my account for the last 10 months of slower than normal service, that comes to $50. AT&T sucks but charter sucks more. Guess my only choice now is wireless internet for $60/ month. Rant off.

MrHappy
September 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Yah .... there was an RT outage here yesterday. Sorry you got the wrong person. They should have just let you know. Did you get a name by chance or know what office they were in?
No, I could tell she had no clue and was just reading off of a checklist, but to just blind transfer me to nowhere. Really it was the time missed at my daughter's bday that made me so mad.

Charter is slower and costs more than AT&T so after the 6 month intro price I will consider switching back. Charter blocks port 21 and thats a deal breaker for me.

Thread jack :nervous: Did somebody say "WoW" party?

Yeah my wife plays WoW, she has all her siblings, sibling-in-laws, cousins, and mom hooked on it. I never got into the game it just looks lame to me. I end up watching the kids a lot while she plays, and that's fine with me. If I come home and see bowls of chips and soda cups ready on the counter then I know she and her friends are going to be doing "an instance" and I am going to get stuck with baby sitting duty.

A Home To Envy
September 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm just about ready to get charter back, it seems like every 5th time I turn on my internet, I have to unplug and start over again. AT&T is driving me nuts.

Reno Computer Repair
September 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Charter faster....than AT&T....:nervous:???

That depends what level you purchase, and what you are actually getting.

To say one is faster that the other is not fair without comparing the packages: 1.5MB, 3MB, 6MB, 10MB, 18MB, 20MB.

Then do some speed tests, and I mean real speed tests during peak usage times.

Charter is offering a "up to 13X faster that ANY connection from your telephone company" and "up to 20MB". :rolleyes:

Funny, This is my "Any Telephone connection" U-Verse AT&T Circuit:

Broadband Link

Connection Speed:
• Incoming: 25216 kbps
• Outgoing: 2048 kbps

25 MB down!!! FTW