PDA

View Full Version : Back To The Stone Age...

RARECJ8
December 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
AT&T has caused our house untold grief-- only inquired about getting high speed service and without authorization they simply yanked our earthlink service and installed their so-called high speed. I called to say we were only inquiring about the service and did not place an order. So they turned off ALL DSL service. Earthlink cannot do anything. AT&T says they have to send out a technician + have someone over 18 there- within 7-10 business days. WTFH?

When i first called them i got into an argument with the man at AT&T customer service claiming there is no 775 area code. He said i must surely be mistaken. I reminded him we get a phone bill every month from AT&T and he still said I must be reading the bill wrong... LOL. So after several hours wasted over the phone to fix something i did not want and now having to miss work to wait for them is intolerable. Oh, and Earthlink says the best they can do after AT&T comes out is to offer dial-up... And I consistently get transferred to this or that person and no one knows anything, other than to pass the call to another, then 'oops, you're in Nevada" and i get transferred yet again. Then that person transferrs yet again. And each time i have to go thu the whole story...

Bafoons!

MotoMatt
December 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
thats why we have charter :thumbsup:

aphex
December 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
AT&T does 'own' the copper regardless of who provides your DSL (Earthlink, GBIS, whatever). Historically I tend to see people pay more for slower service using a CLEC vs. the phone company. Crappy but reality.

When someone calls AT&T to request DSL/U-Verse and they have a CLEC, it is required (I'm pretty sure by law) that the existing connection be disconnected before AT&T can provide service. This is done to make sure AT&T doesn't just try and shut off everyones CLEC DSL and do their own.

If you didn't request this - wow. It can get AT&T into big trouble for pulling something like this. For now you need to try and contact Tier 2 support - chances you're getting transferred to some support center in India right now. Calling after 5PM can help because of where calls go.

Personally - I'd rather be on dialup than Charter. Unfortunately in Reno we have to always pick the lesser of the evils.

aphex
December 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
877-574-8832 or 1-888-289-8116, option 4 for the advanced solutions group.

When I used this they were understanding, however it DID take a few days to get a response. During that time I was able to get a hold of tier 2 support to get my issue resolved (however I was moving from AT&T DSL to AT&T U-Verse)