PDA

View Full Version : What are the tint and lift laws in Reno?

wegojeepn
December 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
My wife was pulled over on Peckham today. The officer said she ran a red light, while he had her stopped he checked the tint on the driver window and cited her for dark tint. Then the officer started telling her the truck was too tall and he was going to check on the headlight law. He did not cite her for lift but implied he could.

Our truck is a 04 F350 10" lift and 38" tires, we purchased it as is. At the time of purchase it was 1" lower than than required for the weight of the truck. the last two years we have no issues with tint either. Is there new laws? are they changing laws?

nameless
December 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
tint on front windows is 35%

rears are whatever you want

windshield is nothing lower than AS1 line

sorry she got a dick cop... or i mean someone just doing there job...

i've been driving around with 5% on fronts and 2.5% on rears, never been hassled, whenever i see a cop my fronts go down

jdhouk
December 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
I think its like 30" or 33" to unmodified body....pending on what class the truck is 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton....I got pullled over in my jeep CJ 12" and its like 32.5" to unmod body and i got a warning to lower it to 30" cuz its a half ton....but no worries i dont drive it on the street anymore.....trail rig....hope this helps...ive seen it on another post on here somewhere....

wegojeepn
December 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I hve not seen any thing on the headlights, could there be something to this?

bamftruck
December 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
i think it is bumper height not head light height but i could be wrong

nameless
December 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
i think it is bumper height not head light height but i could be wrong

i've heard headlights but am not to sure

jdhouk
December 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM

those are all in there too with like 30" to unmod body, but not more than 42" to bottom of headlight and bumper no highter than 28" so some bs....I wish i could find the Regulations.....i ve seen them somewhere....

DTrekk
December 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM

I would assume it would be headlights, I've seen the really tall show trucks put lights in the bumpers that look like headlights. Again I could be wrong also

litlmeck
December 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
CA is head lights

NV is to the frame based on GVW

XJBALLA
December 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
i have 5 percent on mine all the way around, but yea i think its something like 35 is legal. also as nameless said everytime i see a cop the front windows go down!

Baddawg775
December 3rd, 2009, 11:25 AM
NV Headlight
NRS 484.549 Head lamps on motor vehicles and special mobile equipment.

1. Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

2. Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height, measured from the center of the head lamp, of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured in the manner set forth in NRS 484.547.

3. Snow removal equipment used in clearing snow from highways and other special mobile equipment which by the nature of its design makes it impracticable to comply with the requirements of subsection 2 may have such head lamps located at a height higher than 54 inches.

[Part 6:166:1925; A 1939, 316; 1945, 268; 1955, 40]—(NRS A 1969, 1211; 1971, 1472; 1975, 1077)

Baddawg775
December 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
NV Tint laws:
NRS 484.6195 Restrictions on tinting of windshield or side or rear window.

1. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires, “light transmission” means the ratio of the amount of light which is allowed to pass through a product or material to the amount of light which falls on it.

2. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 3, 4 and 5 a person shall not:

(a) Place, install, affix or apply upon the windshield or any side or rear window of a motor vehicle which is required to be registered in this State; or

(b) Operate on any highway a motor vehicle required to be registered in this State on which there has been placed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or any side or rear window of the motor vehicle,

any transparent material which alters the color or reduces the light transmission of the windshield or side or rear window.

3. The prohibition set forth in subsection 2 does not apply to:

(a) A window that is to the immediate right or left of the driver if the window is:

(1) Nonreflective; and

(2) Has a total light transmission through the combination, if any, of transparent material and safety glazing of not less than 35 percent with a tolerance of 7 percent.

(b) A side window that is to the rear of the driver, or a rear window, if the vehicle has outside mirrors on each side that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of not less than 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(c) Any transparent material that is installed, affixed or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is not less than 29 inches above the undepressed driver’s seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver’s seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface; and

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

4. The prohibition set forth in paragraph (b) of subsection 2 does not apply to a motor vehicle with a model year of 1993 or older, if transparent material was placed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or any side or rear window of the motor vehicle before July 1, 1993.

5. This section does not prohibit the operation or sale of a motor vehicle which has a windshield or windows that are covered by or treated with any material, if the vehicle was sold when new or could have been sold when new with such material as standard or optional equipment without violating any federal statute or regulation governing the sale at the time of manufacture.

6. The Director may, by regulation, provide for exemptions and exceptions from the provisions of subsection 2.

7. For the purposes of NRS 483.473, a violation of subsection 2 is not a moving traffic violation.

(Added to NRS by 1993, 2433)

Baddawg775
December 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
NV Height Laws:
NRS 484.7385 Height of vehicle: Maximum ground clearance; exceptions.

1. A motor vehicle must not be operated on any highway of this State if the lowest portion of its body, as measured from the surface on which the vehicle stands, exceeds, for passenger cars, 24 inches, and for a truck or other motor vehicle having manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating:

(a) Of 4,500 pounds or less, 28 inches.

(b) Of more than 4,500 pounds but less than 7,501 pounds, 30 inches.

(c) Of 7,501 pounds but less than 10,001 pounds, 32 inches.

2. The measurement taken to determine compliance with this section must be taken from level ground to a portion of the body or parts attached to the body which have not been added or altered from the manufacturer’s original body design.

3. This section does not apply to a motor vehicle which:

(a) Was manufactured before 1935; or

(b) Has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.

(Added to NRS by 1987, 1472)

Deluxxx
December 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've been busted for having limo at a DUI checkpoint, I didn't even think about it but they check tint at those also

wegojeepn
December 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
NV Headlight
NRS 484.549 Head lamps on motor vehicles and special mobile equipment.

1. Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

2. Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height, measured from the center of the head lamp, of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured in the manner set forth in NRS 484.547.

3. Snow removal equipment used in clearing snow from highways and other special mobile equipment which by the nature of its design makes it impracticable to comply with the requirements of subsection 2 may have such head lamps located at a height higher than 54 inches.

[Part 6:166:1925; A 1939, 316; 1945, 268; 1955, 40]—(NRS A 1969, 1211; 1971, 1472; 1975, 1077)

Can this headlight requirement override the lift law? My chevy with a 4" lift has a 48" headlight measurment

jdhouk
December 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
NV Height Laws:
NRS 484.7385 Height of vehicle: Maximum ground clearance; exceptions.

1. A motor vehicle must not be operated on any highway of this State if the lowest portion of its body, as measured from the surface on which the vehicle stands, exceeds, for passenger cars, 24 inches, and for a truck or other motor vehicle having manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating:

(a) Of 4,500 pounds or less, 28 inches.

(b) Of more than 4,500 pounds but less than 7,501 pounds, 30 inches.

(c) Of 7,501 pounds but less than 10,001 pounds, 32 inches.

2. The measurement taken to determine compliance with this section must be taken from level ground to a portion of the body or parts attached to the body which have not been added or altered from the manufacturer’s original body design.

3. This section does not apply to a motor vehicle which:

(a) Was manufactured before 1935; or

(b) Has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.

(Added to NRS by 1987, 1472)

thats what i am say'n....thanks

jfrey123
December 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I've been busted for having limo at a DUI checkpoint, I didn't even think about it but they check tint at those also

Yeah, DUI checkpoints are crap. I get the whole arguement that they save lives, but they don't have a reasonable cause to stop you and it leads to a warrantless search (aka they found your tint when they shouldn't have had you stopped because you were committing no crime).

I had that same issue with my old Mazda, tint was limo 5% all the way around. I got to the checkpoint, had both windows down, and the officer asked me to roll up the window so he could take a look. Told him I'd rather not, and he asked again. I replied by asking "Am I being detained?", and the officer replied "No." So my next question was "Am I free to leave?", which the officer said "Yes", so I thanked him and drove away.

Next time your stopped or encounter a cop, roll those windows all the way down. If they ask you to roll them up, ask them if they're ordering you to roll them up or if you're legally required to do so. If they say no, politely inform them you refuse to subject to a search without cause. If you cooperate, you're getting the ticket anyway, so you've got nothing to lose.

chevydan3
December 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Can this headlight requirement override the lift law? My chevy with a 4" lift has a 48" headlight measurment

They work together, if your are within the body height law but over the headlight law, you still have to move your headlights down. I have seen a few trucks with snowplow lights hanging from or mounted in the bumper to address the headlight issue.

wegojeepn
December 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
The truck is back at house and I have measured the body, at the lowest point right behind the front tire on a ford, is 31 and a half. The headlight are at 54" center of light. this being said i think the officer was just a little over zealous and I think the light could have been yellow as my wife said.

Bitosin
December 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM
54" is mighty damn high for headlights. Especially if you are in the car in front with the headlights shining in your mirror at a stop light. Personally, I think the law should be closer to 30" max, but that's just a pet peeve of mine. Also, there should be a limit on brightness of headlights in the city.(I think there is, but those damn blue things don't comply I don't think)

OK...Old Fart rant off !

Rockcrusher
December 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
The headlight height requirement is a federal standard (FMVSS 108) which specifies 22" to 54". I'm not sure where Nevada came up with the 24" minimum.

wegojeepn
December 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
54" is mighty damn high for headlights. Especially if you are in the car in front with the headlights shining in your mirror at a stop light. Personally, I think the law should be closer to 30" max, but that's just a pet peeve of mine. Also, there should be a limit on brightness of headlights in the city.(I think there is, but those damn blue things don't comply I don't think)

OK...Old Fart rant off !

30" Is the height of my chevy and it hits all cars in the mirrors. at 54" the lights seem shine over the cars

MadToy
December 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
ummm easy way to get around this is go to the dmv and register your rig for a gvw over 10,000 pounds. There is no linit for those vehicles its aloop hole that most of us in fallon and surronding areas use regulaly!

MotoMatt
December 3rd, 2009, 06:03 PM

OK...Old Fart rant off !

yea, i guess i am guilty of that. i have the 9000k Xenon bulbs but once you drive with them they do help alot especially when you are on open stretches where there arent many streetlights. when i am stopped at a light and there is a small car infront of me that i am clearly shining into their mirror i will turn my headlights off then back on again when the light turns green. I didnt get the xenon blue lights to have the blue color but to see better. i guess there is no happy medium

wegojeepn
December 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
The break down of the tinting ticket, Bail amount $58, Admin fee $40, Facility fee $10, and the fee $7 Total $115 For a tint ticket. I thought they were fix it tickets, but there is nothing about fixing it just pay!

trupster415
December 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
ummm easy way to get around this is go to the dmv and register your rig for a gvw over 10,000 pounds. There is no linit for those vehicles its aloop hole that most of us in fallon and surronding areas use regulaly!

my buddy tried that in reno years ago and failed. it has to have a manufactured GVW 10001 pounds and over

MadToy
December 5th, 2009, 07:02 AM
my buddy tried that in reno years ago and failed. it has to have a manufactured GVW 10001 pounds and over

Oh! Well i guess im glad i dont live in the big city then cause myself and friend both have 15000gvw toyotas on the road as we speak! Or at least thats what it says on our registration. That sucks srry i couldnt be more help then.

DirtyChemist
December 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'd fight it. What's the tint on the truck? 35% is pretty light. If you can prove 54" headlight height you're good to go. I don't see anything in that that measures to the frame or door or anything besides headlights.
He was probably trying to tack on everything on top of a red light ticket to generate more revenue. No one is gambling so theyr income has to come from SOMEWHERE. Probably still pissed off they published salaries a few months back.