PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Agressive Lab Dog

GloNDark
December 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
almost 11 years.

My girl lab is friendly and gentle and overly concerned with everything, wants to be in the middle of everything. Typical lab.

My boy lab, is normal excitable, but friend and a good dog all around. Ever since he was about 2, once in a while he gets to thinking he is the alpha male. He's friend and good with everyone, but will growl and become agressive towards me. My old neighbor was a vet and we talked about it and basically came to the conclusion that I had to whoop his ass and let him know who was the alpha male. Over his life this has happened 10 maybe 12 times, he gets agressive, I tackle his ass and show hold him down and stare at him until he stops growling and literally within minutes he is back to his fun loving excitable lab self.

So yesterday it snowed, I was busy clearing snow off the car and truck and shoveling. I went into the garage and he got up from his bed and growled at me, I told him NO and he walked away. I came back in the garage, same thing, growled, I looked him scare in the eye and said NO and he walked away. Finally as I was getting ready to leave, i walked in the garage, he growled and I turned to tell him no and he jumped me. Surprised me, and he got me in the face. I've got a nice bruise/cut next to my right eye and another on top of my head. He knocked me to the ground but I was able to push him off and wrestle his ass to the ground. I held him down until he stopped growling, and now, he's back to his normal self.

My concern is this, I can fight him off, and correct the situation, but i know my wife or my son wouldn't be able to. I feel horrible sitting in the garage petting him, thinking about putting him down, especially when he is such a good dog otherwise. I don't know if I could find a place to take him, i would feel right not telling anyone how he is, but I don't see anyone wanting him if he is agressive.

I'm not sure what I should do.

Jehu
December 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
You're well past the point where I would've put a dog down.

69cj5
December 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
x2

And I love labs...

kittenb
December 8th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Could it be with the Dogs age he is starting to have hearing issues and your scaring him which makes his response worse ? Perhaps something to check with a Vet about.

RARECJ8
December 8th, 2009, 12:23 PM
ritalin?

Inc
December 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
So the lab is around 11 yrs old? That is pretty old age for labs. Maybe it is time so no one get seriously hurt.

Gizmatical Fuquad
December 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Let me start with this, I love dogs and have always had at least 1 dog, sometimes more, my entire life. That being said, I think it may be time to part company with your old friend and send him to that big doghouse in the sky. Putting a dog down is never as easy thing to do, I usually end up bawling like a 3 year old every time I have to do it. But if the dog is a danger to the family or others, it's the necessary thing to do.

Just my .02

GloNDark
December 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
That's the feeling i'm having. I've got an appt tonight with the vet, they are going to check his eyes and his ears see if there is anything wrong, and maybe keep him a day or so to see what he does. But even my vet, who has been my vet for this dogs entire life said that open agression and biting should not be tolerated.

uugg :(

FallonJeeper
December 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I hate to see a dog put down. But, unless you can find an immediate resolution, you have others safety at risk, and youi'll probably need to send him someplace where he won't hurt anybody, or put him down. Hope you can help him and everything works out.

jfrey123
December 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
+1 to all the above, check for eye and hearing problems. It sounds like he was startled by you and went all "fight or flight", with fight being the obvious result. If it was a territory or dominance thing, I think the warning growl would've been stronger... (maybe? I'm imagining the way a dog reacts to someone outside the fence).

And if all else fails, family comes before the dog. You'll make the right decision.

Tfab
December 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'm so sad for you,but you know what has to be done.
-Lisa

thedevl
December 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM
If you have kids don't take any chances! A dog is much easier to replace than a child. I say bullet!!!!!

Fyresq
December 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have a lab that was this way with my wife when she tried to discipline him when I wasn't around. Took him to the vet and was neutered the next day.....never had a problem since. Only alternative if it hadn't worked was to put him down. My guess is that if your dog isn't already neutered, he may be too old to do so. I also wonder if it could be dementia related?

ammowaster
December 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
My friends had a boxer that we all swore up and down was bipolar. Started getting real aggressive towards kids and bit me while I was house sitting.

Turns out it had some kind of brain disease.

I understand your hesitation but I think you realize that if it is truly a threat to your family(especially a child) then there really is only one choice

tattooedyota
December 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
ill just say this. he has already attacked you once. you have tried your best. its now time to put him down. if you dont want the vet tp do it, give me a pm. i hate sounding mean but i had to do this not to long ago with a buddies dog. its clean and swift

JK-130
December 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I really think he doesn't need to be put down, although I would get him checked to just make sure he doesn't have any physical health problems that would make him act out the way he is. I would try to watch one of the Dig Whisperer episodes on the NatGeo channel if you have it, or picking up one his books, his official site is here (http://www.cesarsway.com/). It just sounds like a dominance issue that can be resolved with some work and information. A perfect example is here. (http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembehaviors/case-study-aggression) One more good one... (http://www.cesarsway.com/packgallery/successstories/cynthia-j-anderson)

4x4nvcowboy
December 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Thats Tough, i wish you the best in making that decision.
I can only imagine how tough that would be, We have 3 dogs and they are my kids.
best of luck!

rok-jeep
December 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Chris,
I know this is not what you are going to want to hear but its time brother. I couldn't imagine having to do that with Tahoe or Tacoma but I would in a heartbeat if either of them were acting in that manner. I know you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if anything happened to Christopher or Ang. I know its hard to think of your dog being that way especially when he's acting normal just a few minutes later but its not worth it. As you saw it only takes a second for something like that to happen. I know this sucks but it has to be done. He's been a great dog every time I've been with him.

Jehu
December 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
My friends had a boxer that we all swore up and down was bipolar. Started getting real aggressive towards kids and bit me while I was house sitting.

Turns out it had some kind of brain disease.

I understand your hesitation but I think you realize that if it is truly a threat to your family(especially a child) then there really is only one choice

The brain disease thing was responsible for a Basset we had to put down. It's sad but prolonging it doesn't help.

GloNDark
December 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Chris,
I know this is not what you are going to want to hear but its time brother. I couldn't imagine having to do that with Tahoe or Tacoma but I would in a heartbeat if either of them were acting in that manner. I know you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if anything happened to Christopher or Ang. I know its hard to think of your dog being that way especially when he's acting normal just a few minutes later but its not worth it. As you saw it only takes a second for something like that to happen. I know this sucks but it has to be done. He's been a great dog every time I've been with him.

Thanks bro, I know it's tough but that's what i'm going to have to do. It sucks yes, but i couldn't live with myself if he hurt Christopher or Ang.

I had him checked out, and the vet agreed with what I said, He'd have to have eye, ear and nose problems to not know exactly what he was doing and who he was attacking. They want to keep him for observation and see what he does for a day or two and then they will make a recomendation. Either way, i can't have him come back to my house. :(

BIG BLUE
December 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I was raised out in the country and have always had big dogs that leaned toward the aggressive side due to the nature of living in the sticks...I would tolerate them if they had somewhat bad manners to visitors since thats kind what I had dogs for...but once they turned that aggression towards me I would put them down. I always wanted to remember my dog as the loving animal it was not as the son of a ***** who bite my ear off...all my dogs lived to be a pretty old age..10-12 years so it wasn't like i was poping off dogs at a whims notice...remember your dog is mans best friend...but if my best friend jumped on me and started beating the crap out me or put my life in danger by attacking me I would put him down too...you honestly cant do anything else...if you passed the dog to someone else and he attacked that person how would you feel? Good luck with the decision but it seems you already know the answer. Give him a hug and kiss tell him bye and just rub his ears as he goes off...

POOR BOY
December 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Chris,

x2 man, i hate to say it but i think its time for you and mans best friend to part ways....... good luck my friend

ManNamedJed
December 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM
As they used to say back in WY - The dog needs to go for a trip over the hill.

No dogs ever returned from that trip. Sad, but a fact of life if you own dogs.

rusty_tlc
December 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thais is a LINK--->This Forum (http://ngccommunity.nationalgeographic.com/ngcforums/dog-whisperer/) might be a better place to post the question.

chevydan3
December 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I know the dog is old, but if he is healthy and show some signs of having years left in his life, why not neuter him? That sometimes turns the worst of dogs, into the best dogs.

GloNDark
December 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
He's been fixed since he was 6 months old.

The vet seems to think that he is in pain from being hit by a car last year. I took on a Ford Escape after he got out of the backyard. He had like 33 stitches and at the time didn't seem to have anything else wrong. Now he seems to be losing vision in his right eye, but appears to be seeing and hearing just fine. So she gave me some pain meds and told me about some over the counter stuff to try too. It could be that he is acting out because he's in pain and can't do anything about it. Seeing as i've had him 11 years and he's a very well trained good dog overall, i'll give it a shot.

GloNDark
February 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Well the Dr put him on anti-inflamatories and antibiotics and I decided to give him a chance and see what happened. I spent the past month being a sweet, loving puppy, just like he always was. Happy, excitable, and most of all just normal.

Thursday night I went out the garage to give both of my labs a bone and he wasn't there. I flipped on the light and could see him way out on the lawn, laying down. I ran out there, he couldn't get up. His right legs were paralized and he was struggling to get up. So I picked him up and carried him in. The vet said either a stroke or possibly an infection. So the put him back on antibiotics and anti-inflamatories to see if he got better.

He only got worse. So saturday afternoon the vet came to the house, and put him down in the living room. I held him in my arms as he went. I'll miss that damn dog. My other lab misses him too. She won't eat or get up. it sucks :(

RARECJ8
February 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
sorry to hear about your great loss.

thedevl
February 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
That is so sad, I'm sorry for your loss. Your other dog will feel allot better with a new friend around and eventually you will too. I predict puppy breath in your future!

GO4X4IT
February 8th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Im sorry to hear this. Its gonna be hard for me when my lab dies. Im not looking forward to it :(

Rockindoc
February 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your precious lab.

Inc
February 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
:( Sorry for your loss.

POOR BOY
February 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
that sucks chris sorry to hear about your lab.. was hoping he would pull out of it when i talked to you last week, if you need anything bro let me know

Jeepgurl775
February 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss...I'm sittin here in tears rubbin my coonhound's ears.

darren y
February 8th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Damn dude that sucks, I just did this twice last year... it still hurts!

I had my males front paw print tattooed on my chest, I now have 2 more awesome dogs, but will never forget the two that passed... R.I.P.

My wife just a collage of pics (kind of a scrapbook kind of thing 3' x 4' ) for me last night it must have like 40+ pics

I was surprised when I got home from work this morning

now I'm balling like a little baby!!

one bit of advice, If you do plan to get another doggie don't wait to long, when I lost my male my female had serious separation anxiety, which ultimately led to her demise

hang in there bro.

72 Virginians
February 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
:(

FallonJeeper
February 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I know you've been dealing with this for a long time. Sorry it had to end this way. I do have to repeat from above. A new puppy can help make that hurt go away.

Puppy breath cures everything but stupid, cuz there ain't no cure for stupid. ;)