PDA

View Full Version : Top Truck Challenge 2010

CATALYST
December 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Derek Trent is entered in the Fourwheeler magazine's Top Truck Challenge for 2010 !!!!! He still has to be voted in . I believe the voting will start in February and end in March . We will keep everyone updated as we will need everyone's help to vote him in !
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6613692/editorials/ttc-2010-cut-off-looming/index.html
-Lisa

wrenchjunkie
December 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
What is the plan for tire size and such?

will be following the build for this

CATALYST
December 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
What is the plan for tire size and such?

will be following the build for this

Derek is sponored by Interco tires a.k.a. SUPER SWAMPER , I am sure 44" Boggers are at the top of the list :yup:
-Lisa

floor ya
December 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
i clicked on the link but could not find a place to "vote"? am i doing the internet wrong again?

CATALYST
December 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
i clicked on the link but could not find a place to "vote"? am i doing the internet wrong again?

Voting does not start until February and you must fill out the form from the magazine and send it in......................We will have plenty of free magazines at the shop for anyone who wishes to vote for him.
-Lisa

Dirty Harry
December 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Derek Trent is entered in the Peterson's 4 wheel and offroad Top Truck Challenge for 2010 !!!!! He still has to be voted in . I believe the voting will start in February and end in March . We will keep everyone updated as we will need everyone's help to vote him in !
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6613692/editorials/ttc-2010-cut-off-looming/index.html
-Lisa

Four Wheeler puts on Top Truck, not Petersen's. Petersen's puts on the Ultimate Adventure.

I'll be sure to vote for Derreck. Will Woody be spotting for him?

CATALYST
December 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Four Wheeler puts on Top Truck, not Petersen's. Petersen's puts on the Ultimate Adventure.

I'll be sure to vote for Derreck. Will Woody be spotting for him?

Harry!!!!!!!!!Thank goodness you came out of the woodworks.I googled it and couldn't find it in Peterson's....aren't they both Primedia???Anyhow thanks for clearing that up.

Woody is currently in training and will start competiton as soon as he turns 14 as that is the required age to compete :yup:
-Lisa

JoseJalapeno
December 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Is top truck still held in hollister hills,ca? If so i would think to say ROAD TRIP!!!

IHKrawler
December 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Is top truck still held in hollister hills,ca? If so i would think to say ROAD TRIP!!!

All i thought was POISON OAK.

Yeti
December 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
You can't spectate at Top Truck. Would be a fun one to see in person.
I'll be sure to vote for Derek!

bamftruck
December 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
do they put aup a 12 security fence? or have security guards? i dont see them seeing you if you were in the woods decked out in camo.

Yeti
December 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
do they put aup a 12 security fence? or have security guards? i dont see them seeing you if you were in the woods decked out in camo.:ne_nau: Give it a shot...I just remember reading that they don't open it up to spectators. I'll just look for the dvd if I want to see it.

L.D.
December 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM
ya got my vote Lisa

rok-jeep
December 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Yeah, Derek will get my vote but I say 54" boggers not 44's. The 44's look tiny compared to some of those tires out there. If he gets voted in (and if I remember correctly) they will give him a set of the 56" Micky Thompson TTC special edition Claws to run.

Tfab
December 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Derek will get my vote but I say 54" boggers not 44's. The 44's look tiny compared to some of those tires out there. If he gets voted in (and if I remember correctly) they will give him a set of the 56" Micky Thompson TTC special edition Claws to run.

I didn't know about the 54" Boggers until this morning. Derek can't run anything other than Interco tires due to our soponsorship.
-Lisa

Inc
December 21st, 2009, 11:04 AM
I didn't know about the 54" Boggers until this morning. Derek can't run anything other than Interco tires due to our soponsorship.
-Lisa

So, are you guys withdrawing?

Tfab
December 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
So, are you guys withdrawing?

No , I do not believe we are required to run the claws . I just think they give us a set to run if we choose to.I am not 100% sure of all the rules and regulations yet.
-Lisa

Inc
December 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
No , I do not believe we are required to run the claws . I just think they give us a set to run if we choose to.I am not 100% sure of all the rules and regulations yet.
-Lisa

I hope it works out. You guys got my vote.

Dirty Harry
December 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
-Lisa

That is correct. I think that 44s or 47s would be enough tire on the buggy though.

WILLD420
December 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm sure you guys know your rig and wheeling better than I do, but my observations from watching past events is that a balanced rig always places top 5. If your buggy is built for nothing larger than a 44 or 47, that's what I would be running. I really haven't seen a great deal of difference in most of the obstacles between a 54" tire and the 47's. However I do see a lot more breakage with the 50" and up tires. That being said, bigger can't hurt.

The #1 biggest thing is to have a good team and a spotter that is in good shape. Much as I'd like to think I could slog a winch cable up and down hills, and keep up with a 20 year old, I know that I would be lying to myself.

Having a waterproof drivetrain, at least one excellent winch, a good spotter and lots of luck will get you as far as running a tire that is too big for your rig. IF the rules allow you to use a comm device, then that's what I'd have. Waterproof it and go with the knowledge that it will probably be a one time use type thing. When you have a rig that is figthing to run on it's side, other rigs nearby, screaming people, open headers, whining winches, sqealing belts etc. Communications between driver and spotter can get iffy at best, or downright deadly at worst.

Dr Smash
January 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Got my vote, Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

Tfab
January 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm sure you guys know your rig and wheeling better than I do, but my observations from watching past events is that a balanced rig always places top 5. If your buggy is built for nothing larger than a 44 or 47, that's what I would be running. I really haven't seen a great deal of difference in most of the obstacles between a 54" tire and the 47's. However I do see a lot more breakage with the 50" and up tires. That being said, bigger can't hurt.

The #1 biggest thing is to have a good team and a spotter that is in good shape. Much as I'd like to think I could slog a winch cable up and down hills, and keep up with a 20 year old, I know that I would be lying to myself.

Having a waterproof drivetrain, at least one excellent winch, a good spotter and lots of luck will get you as far as running a tire that is too big for your rig. IF the rules allow you to use a comm device, then that's what I'd have. Waterproof it and go with the knowledge that it will probably be a one time use type thing. When you have a rig that is figthing to run on it's side, other rigs nearby, screaming people, open headers, whining winches, sqealing belts etc. Communications between driver and spotter can get iffy at best, or downright deadly at worst.
Those are a lot of good points ! Joe the Toe is a great spotter and I am told that Derek can bring 4 crew members and at any given time it can be anyone of the four.I know we will have a stellar crew. As far as the tires go I have a feeling that we wont be running anything bigger than a 42"
-Lisa

BIG BLUE
January 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
well you guys will do fine...its a lot different wheeling. having grown up three miles from the park and wheeling it almost daily lets just say its a different beast. its a slimy clay based slime that they make you run thru. the rock sections are all man made and you shouldn't have too much problem with that. At least at the end of the day you guys could shoot over to my parents house to chill in a hot tub. lol

Tfab
January 15th, 2010, 02:04 PM
We will be running 42" Sticky Goodyear MTR's W/Kevlar sidewall

Travman
January 15th, 2010, 02:10 PM
-Lisa

We will be running 42" Sticky Goodyear MTR's W/Kevlar sidewall

So..... explanation?

Tfab
January 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
So..... explanation?

Goodyear made us an offer we couldn't refuse.....We are now team Trent Fabrication sponsored by
Goodyear/ESAB/Griffin radiator

Travman
January 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
well right on then. you had my vote anyways but didnt make sense saying interco only then good year and yeah so i had to ask..... but cool cant wait til all starts to kick off

DirtyChemist
February 5th, 2010, 01:40 AM
do they put aup a 12 security fence? or have security guards? i dont see them seeing you if you were in the woods decked out in camo.

You won't be able to get in. If you haven't been there before I'd google map it. It's not like you can park and just walk in without anyone noticing. There's a gate and they WILL know you're not with anyone.

As far as poison oak.....YOU, my friend, have obviously been there.

44" boggers? Not going to put some 52 IROKs under that? It would be cool to see Derek in after the Pirate 4x4 rig. Of course....too many of them are custom buggies, I like Derek's rigs. Just seems to be less "one off, pour all your money into it" and just looks like a WICKED CJ7.

Tfab
February 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
well right on then. you had my vote anyways but didnt make sense saying interco only then good year and yeah so i had to ask..... but cool cant wait til all starts to kick off We still love Interco tires and they work well,but we are now with Goodyear because they are the best tires in the world :)

You won't be able to get in. If you haven't been there before I'd google map it. It's not like you can park and just walk in without anyone noticing. There's a gate and they WILL know you're not with anyone.

As far as poison oak.....YOU, my friend, have obviously been there.

44" boggers? Not going to put some 52 IROKs under that? It would be cool to see Derek in after the Pirate 4x4 rig. Of course....too many of them are custom buggies, I like Derek's rigs. Just seems to be less "one off, pour all your money into it" and just looks like a WICKED CJ7. I don't really understand exactly what you just said :confused: We are now sponsored by Goodyear . The buggy is completely new and unique it is a one off (for now) we will be putting them into production this year.They are actually modeled after Toyota Landcruiser FJ40's.We just picked up THOMAS GRADY(14 Year old East coast Champion) http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADBF_en&q=thomas+grady+youngest+rock+crawler&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=D3BsS-r9FZCcswPYiOmxDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CA4QqwQwAA# and KURTIS HARRYMAN (Cal Rocs Owner) as Team Driver's