PDA

View Full Version : asvab test?

Liftedscout52t
January 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM
does any body know what are good scores for the asvab test?

flighht2k5
January 7th, 2010, 04:21 PM
well perfect is 99.
Depends on the job you want. I was a recruiter for 2 years if you have any questions you can ask me. What branch are you interested in?

Liftedscout52t
January 7th, 2010, 04:35 PM
air force and i scored 67

rowedave76
January 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
To give you an idea, my score was a 96 and the Navy let me be an operator in a nuclear power plant. I also got a signing bonus and a promotion out of boot camp, and another one out of A school.

When I went in a good score was more likely to get you in the field you wanted. A poor score was more likely to send you out as undesignated. You did not want that.

rowedave76
January 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM
67 should qualify you for most air force jobs I would think. Make sure you get your school in the contract before you sign.

Make sure you pick a field that you can make some money in once you get out (Even if you think you want to go 20+ years, you never know).

Liftedscout52t
January 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
ok thanks

Rockindoc
January 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Call a current recruiter, they have the most up to date info.

Liftedscout52t
January 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
i am going tomarrow, just checking before i go.

flighht2k5
January 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM
i am going tomarrow, just checking before i go.

Do PJ's or CCT.

DirtyChemist
January 8th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Is 67 even passing? I know they're stricter now because everyone's signing up to go in and avoid job hunting. I read an article around graduation time that said the ARMY could actually enforce it's requirements because so many people actually qualified they could turn people away for not being qualified. They previously lowered their requirements to meet numbers.

Maybe you'll get stationed up at Minot ND watching missles. IDK what's good but I'd think a D+ on a test wouldn't qualify for much. Operating a nuke plant is probably pretty difficult but something you could come out and do anywhere. Mechanics make good money too.

DaGimp
January 8th, 2010, 07:50 AM
The scores are relative to the year you take the test. I got a 82 and became a biomedical equipment Engineer. My buddy in AIT took the test the year after me, he had a 95. We both looked at our test results and I scored significantly higher than him on 2/3 of the test area's. He just took it a different year and because of the other scores of people taking the test that year he got a much higher end score.

While I was in MEPS I sat on a bench with two guys going into the marines. They were bragging to each other about how happy their recruiter was that one had got 28 and the other had got 32.

Biomedical equipment Engineers army/navy have an almost guaranteed job in hospitals when they get out making decent money.

Good luck on your test

EDIT: Recruiters ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. Some will say/do anything to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Travman
January 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I scored high enough to be a USN CB. I honestly dont remember my score. and cb was my goal, any score I recieved.

since every one is sharing stories, well kind of, while at meps in sac a few years ago one guy a couple seats over at the buffet, was bragging about his sign on bonus of 6k..... then we all found out he took that bonus to be a cook on a submarine. first up, last out, recirculated Air, in a stuffy kitchen. guess he thought he might uplike steven segull, huh? (i know it wasnt a sub in the movie, it was just a joke.)

flighht2k5
January 8th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Is 67 even passing? I know they're stricter now because everyone's signing up to go in and avoid job hunting. I read an article around graduation time that said the ARMY could actually enforce it's requirements because so many people actually qualified they could turn people away for not being qualified. They previously lowered their requirements to meet numbers.

Maybe you'll get stationed up at Minot ND watching missles. IDK what's good but I'd think a D+ on a test wouldn't qualify for much. Operating a nuke plant is probably pretty difficult but something you could come out and do anywhere. Mechanics make good money too.
Its not based on an abcdf scale. There is not a passing or failing score. It's an aptitude test. Considerig the avg score I saw while I was a recruiter was 30-40, 67 is a pretty good score that will qaulify u for most jobs. Pick something you'll enjoy. Becase you can't just quit and get a new one.

BurbanHunter
January 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I got a 92 when I took it in 2002. It qualified me for any job the Navy had to offer, including Nukes. Decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Still get mail and calls from them... If the economy gets any worse, it may be an option again.

rowedave76
January 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Its not based on an abcdf scale. There is not a passing or failing score. It's an aptitude test. Considerig the avg score I saw while I was a recruiter was 30-40, 67 is a pretty good score that will qaulify u for most jobs. Pick something you'll enjoy. Becase you can't just quit and get a new one.

I believe there are min scores depending on the recruitment needs at the time. According to Wikipedia, the Air Force minimum jumped up to 50 Oct09. For most other services it looks like the minimum is currently in the 30's.

Scoring 67 means he did better than 67% of the people in the 18-23 year old age group. Its a better than average for sure.

flighht2k5
January 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I believe there are min scores depending on the recruitment needs at the time. According to Wikipedia, the Air Force minimum jumped up to 50 Oct09. For most other services it looks like the minimum is currently in the 30's.

Scoring 67 means he did better than 67% of the people in the 18-23 year old age group. Its a better than average for sure.

youre right there is minimum scores. BUT its not a pass or fail thing. I would believe anything WIKI has to say :-) Go talk to a recruiter.