PDA

View Full Version : Who should we file taxes with?

dasanii19
January 9th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Every year my wife has always filed through turbo tax. This year, we have my part time business, the first year we have owned our house, plus our wages from our employers. I know turbo tax has their "deluxe" editions and what not, and my wife actually started to file through one, but the money turbo tax said we would be getting back didn't make sense. For example, just based on what she paid in taxes alone, she should get back 1000.00. Then we added in the interest paid on the house, which was 7550, and the 1000.00 didn't change one penny. I was always told that when you own your home, you get back money based on the interest paid.

Anyways...I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on who we should file our taxes through, or if we should just do it ourselves through turbotax. Just to be clear about our small business, it is now shut down now and we made less than 2000.00 all year.

Thanks for the advice, in advance...

Dennis
January 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I just use TurboTax online edition. When I used to work for Intuit we got Quicken and TT for free, I pay for it now, as I'm used to it. I did my business taxes through it last year.

As far as mortgage interest no affecting your return, it looks like you're taking standard deduction, which is higher than all you customized deductions combined.

Brizzman
January 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
As far as mortgage interest no affecting your return, it looks like you're taking standard deduction, which is higher than all you customized deductions combined.

X2

It works the same for me. The itemized deductions come out to be less than the standard deductions, so the software uses the higher of the 2 and your refund doesn't change.

I always do my own taxes, either with something like TurboTax or just on the tax forms. A couple times I paid a tax preparer after doing it myself. Paying for it just cost me more. It didn't get me any more back.

69cj5
January 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Turbo tax is where its at.