PDA

View Full Version : Compare the Yamaha Warrior and the Honda 400ex

Black Rock
April 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm looking to get one of these two quads. I was wondering if there was any advantage to one or the other. Price is the same. This will be used for trail riding.

Thanks.

Battlecock
April 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I cant speak for the Honda but the Warriors are great machines. I got a new one in 96 and rode the hell out of it. They are pretty bullet proof and good all around trail machines. They also really come alive with an aftermarket cam and some porting.

That Guy
April 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I have had both.....Honda had more power,less maint and a better chassis....the warrior to me was on the edge of being cosidered a sport quad.....:banghead:

Black Rock
April 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Sounds good. I just noticed that the Honda fuel capacity is 2.6 gallons and the Warrior is 3.2. Are there aftermarket "desert" tanks available for the Honda? I guess I could do a search but I like to hear from actual owners. Thanks.

CashMoney
April 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
If there was a choice I'd go with the 400ex, you can get desert tank for both bikes from IMS ( http://www.imsproducts.com/ ) 4.3 gallon for the honda and 3.8 for the yamaha. I like the egronomics and chassis better on the 400EX, and I also think they are a faster bike too. I don't think all years came with reverse just the newer ones so thats something to look for too. Either way you cant go wrong, they are both super solid machines.

streettosand
April 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM
400EX hands down.

CashMoney
April 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'd throw some elka front shocks on it too and never look back, the hondas arent bad to begin with but if its got stockers they are probably wore out anyways

Black Rock
April 10th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Great. Thanks. I'll stick to the 400ex and see what I can find. Appreciate the help.

Air Sierra
April 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I have had both of the ones mention plus dozens of other models.

I had two Warriors, we beat the crap out of them and they just keep going great all around quad, but if your leaning more toward sport riding go with the 400EX

mopar4x4
April 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Id also go with the 400ex. We have like 3 of them and they are great bikes. Just throw an exhaust on it and call it good. Maybe do some suspension work also.

Black Rock
April 11th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Over the years I've owned both Honda and Yamaha dirt bikes and motorcycles. I like both brands and feel comfortable with them from a performance and reliability standpoint. I'll be using this quad for mostly trail riding out in the desert. I need something that can cruise at around 40mph but is also able to negotiate bumps, swails, and washes at lower speeds. I'm not getting any younger so comfort is important too. I have both a 400ex and a Warrior I'm going to look at this week. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Black Rock
May 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Bought the Warrior.

Battlecock
May 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Grats!

Black Rock
May 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks. It's a 2004. Very clean. I had it out in the Black Rock last week and it did fine. It did develop a gas leak toward the end of the trip. The fuel selector was dripping. I took it out and it was in really bad shape. I'm guessing that this quad sat for a while with gas in it.

reno2507
May 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I realize it's too late, but I would have sided with the majority and the Honda...Both would probably serve YOU well, but the Honda would probably serve your grandkids well...

Black Rock
May 14th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Part of it was availability. This Warrior was available at a good price. The 400EX market kind of dried up as soon as I decided that was what I was goiing to get. Ain't that always the way?

1ATony
December 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I just sold my 2002 400ex last year. That quad was bullitt proof. Looking to buy a 450R soon