View Full Version : Events requirements

kairo
March 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
High lift and/or Bottle jack
Lug wrench or Socket wrench with appropriate socket
Shovel
Tow Strap(s)
Appropriate front and rear recovery points
Basic tool set (wrenches, pliers, hammer, etc.)
Any specialty tools or parts your vehicle may need, i.e. special size allen wrenches, torx sockets, or fasteners, birfield joints
Food and water for the longer runs. Dehydration can be as much of a risk as broken parts
Spare tire of appropriate size
CB radio recommended
FRS radio recommended
Extra oil/gas/fluids (stuff like brake fluid, power steering fluid, gear oil)
First aid kit
Fire Extinguisher

Please note that this list is not exhaustive and will be modified
several times as input is gathered from other people.

werty
March 19th, 2007, 07:51 PM
# 12 contact cleaner

kairo
March 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
# 12 contact cleaner

That's an excellent point. When I go wheeling I bring solution plus a storage case. Sometimes they get so bad with the dust you gotta take em out for a few

werty
March 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
i ment electical contact cleaner

fj4play
March 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
wd 40 and zip loc freezer bags

kairo
March 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
i ment electical contact cleaner

LOL

:knokwood: my bad

Dnmeistr
March 19th, 2007, 11:53 PM
That's an excellent point. When I go wheeling I bring solution plus a storage case. Sometimes they get so bad with the dust you gotta take em out for a few

Oh ****, that was probably the funniest post I have read yet ;)

BigNorm
July 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Bring a good attitude. Whiners suck! :D

POOR BOY
July 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Bring a good attitude. Whiners suck! :D

x2 good idea

Woody
April 28th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Bring lots of water!
Minimum 1 gal per person per day.
Needed for drinking, washing, and radiators.
Oh, and to make Margaritas! :)

DRUNKJEEPGUY
July 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
Zip ties!!!! In my few years around cars you can fix many problems with zip ties. Haha

johnny
October 15th, 2008, 07:06 PM
duct tape

EAmotorsports
October 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Fix a Flat or a patch kit

93FSB
October 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Bring lots of water!
Minimum 1 gal per person per day.
Needed for drinking, washing, and radiators.
Oh, and to make Margaritas! :)

Who puts water in margis?
:sick::sick:

93FSB
October 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Fix a Flat or a patch kit

Yeah....tire plugs are good!

EAmotorsports
October 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
rope

72 Virginians
October 17th, 2008, 06:09 AM
rope

For what? In case you need to do an impromptu hanging?

CashMoney
October 17th, 2008, 06:47 AM
For what? In case you need to do an impromptu hanging?

dude don't you watch man vs wild? its to like snare animals and **** :D

Jehu
October 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
rope

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOFtzrURibk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOFtzrURibk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DRTY4x4
October 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM
TP :squint:

Styx
October 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTJEeszxLvo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTJEeszxLvo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:thumbsup:

Styx
October 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
A good wool blanket.
Keeps you warm even if it's damp or wet and works well as a ground cloth if you have sleeping bag. I try to always carry one because you never know when you're going to get stranded somewhere.

Some kind of poncho is a good idea also. I keep one of the cheap orange ones under the back seat just in case (it's Nevada, ALL weather is possible at ANY time )

Styx
October 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM
A wool blanket can also be thrown over a questionable recovery strap/hooks/chain to hamper a possible projectile :nervous:

Jehu
October 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM
A good wool blanket.
Keeps you warm even if it's damp or wet and works well as a ground cloth if you have sleeping bag. I try to always carry one because you never know when you're going to get stranded somewhere.

You mean like 10 feet off the trail buried to the dif's? :laugh2:

Styx
October 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
:squint: over confidence can get you stranded :redface:

Equipment Report: Even though Rubicons are locked front and rear: very soft dirt and a forty degree slope will result in you getting yourself pulled out by passing good samaritans.

RARECJ8
October 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM
A wool blanket can also be thrown over a questionable recovery strap/hooks/chain to hamper a possible projectile :nervous:

i used to use one until i had to crawl under the heep in a snow storm, laying in cold slush. yuk! so i found an old military waterproof tarp abut 8'x8' and it offers mulit-uses to cover the open cab, ground cloth, emergency wrap/poncho and as a dust cover for gear in the back. twin city has them cheap.

mb

serbear4u
December 22nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Who puts water in margis?
:sick::sick:

Gonna use dry ice instead??? :duh:

IamDelta
January 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
let us not forget elbow grease!:thumbsup:

93FSB
January 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Gonna use dry ice instead??? :duh:

:buttkick: Why would you have dry ice. How about just plain old every day ice?

Bitosin
January 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
OK...now that you got all this stuff with you, where are you gonna put it??? Wranglers don't have that much storage space.

CashMoney
February 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Emergency Contacts (or a card someone will know where in your vehicle)
medical allergies?

Might be a good idea incase someone got hurt

MDEnce
May 31st, 2009, 03:19 PM
rope

Actually a good thing to have.
First, if you're bringing all this other stuff, you better have some way to tie it to your Jeep.
Also, the 1st time I ran the Rubicon (my Jeep was basically stock then) I used a bunch of rope to hold my rack on when I lost the bolts somewhere around Spider.:rolleyes:

cjc143c
May 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Dont forget the bear trap:)

robbyh
June 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Basic first aid kit? Kinda fruity but infections suck, and even the smallest cut or scrape can become infected.

666BRONCOMattC
February 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM
dude don't you watch man vs wild? its to like snare animals and **** :D

Thats why I have a gun!

666BRONCOMattC
February 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM
All I need is a shovel, bailing wire and duct tape.... gun The shovel is to dig a hole and the bailing wire and duct tape is to make a makeshift cross. Gun....... in case I am stuck for more than a month.

Styx
February 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Thought I'd revive this thread for any new ideas and for the new members, also I have a question for the general knowledge/experience base here.
I've seen people with an axe on their roof racks (bumper, inset, whatever), but I can't really see the need for one. Wouldn't it be better to carry a pick-axe, digging bar or something, and leave the cutting to a hatchet or crosscut saw?

Or is the axe just for cutting firewood and not really related to offroading?

I blame all gramatical errors on Apple and the iPhone.

sierrahsky
February 14th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I have used my axe to cut dead trees out of the road, make firewood, and I have cut dead trees in to sections and then used para cord to create bundles I can stick under tires when I was super stuck in snow. I have also used it as a hammer and to cut away ice when in crazy snow.

Styx
February 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Except for splitting wood though wouldn't a saw be a better use of space/weight for clearing trails and cutting firewood?

Cutting away ice, that's extreme :thumbsup: From what?

I'm just thinking that carrying an axe might not be needed, and I could get by fine with a small hatchet and a cross-cut saw.

RockRunner02
February 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Except for splitting wood though wouldn't a saw be a better use of space/weight for clearing trails and cutting firewood?

I'm just thinking that carrying an axe might not be needed, and I could get by fine with a small hatchet and a cross-cut saw.

Agreed. BUT axes just look cool!:buttkick:

Brizzman
February 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I almost always carry an axe, but really don't use it.

I only carry it because one time I really did need it (or a saw would have worked too), I didn't have it.

It's also with me when I just want to cut firewood. :)

Brizzman
February 14th, 2011, 12:12 PM
On the original topic, Event Requirements, I think the list is fine. It's a minimum to have, not the best to have.

The one thing I see people here going without the most, is recovery points. Many Jeeps, especially XJs, don't come with them. I have helped pull more than one member out by attaching to the axle, because they didn't have proper recovery points.

My XJ didn't have them. It was the first thing I did to it back when it was stock.

owenst7
February 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM

An axe is a lot more effective than a shovel sometimes in regions with snow as wet as what you guys have around here. If you get stuck in the afternoon, when the temp drops 5 degrees or so, you get set in like concrete. Jumping up and down on a steel spade will wear you out a lot quicker than a guy chopping it up and then moving the chunks with a scoop shovel.

I don't know how some of you guys ever get anything done with the little fold up military/avalanche shovels I frequently see people carrying. There's no leverage with one of those. You're almost better off using your foot and saving your lower back from having to hunch over.

Styx
February 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Well, sure it's cool that's a no brainer. :cool:

Rubiconthomas
February 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with everything on the list. Couple things I'd like to add are common sense, and preparedness. Plan ahead of where your going. Thinking of situations that may happen on the trail and being prepared for them is always a plus. Also common sense. If you are going to run say Bud-wiser and axe might be absolutely necessary. However if your running say Rubicon an axe may be appropriate. I find that common sense and preparedness are two extremely useful tools to have. :thumbsup:

owenst7
February 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Along the same lines as an axe, I like having Machete with me. You never know when a federale could come in handy.

DirtyChemist
September 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Just a quick bump for a question....Recovery points...Factory hook or hitch good enough for recovery point?

RARECJ8
September 20th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Just a quick bump for a question....Recovery points...Factory hook or hitch good enough for recovery point?
factory hooks fine. Hitch ball, no-no, but receiver hitch OK.

stckerz
October 7th, 2014, 07:39 PM
im new on here haha but a good thing to have would be a basic electrical kit i.e. pliers/crimpers, electrical tape, 16 ga. wire, butt splices, spare fuses etc. also a knife, fire starter, signal mirror, whistle, compass, flashlight, water purifier
just my .02

Carlos Murphy
October 20th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Dollar bills for the strippers?

Are we aloud to use coolant in our cooling systems or just plane H2o for environmental reasons?

RARECJ8
October 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM
fully cooked canned bacon

someotherjim
January 23rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
I need some clarification...

Are these the requirements for the EVENT to happen?
(meaning ~ "the run won't be sanctioned if among the group ANY ONE of these important items is missing")
or
Are these requirements per vehicle?
(meaning ~ "if there are 8 rigs, there will be 8 each of these important things")

WILLD420
January 23rd, 2017, 05:41 PM
These were individual requirements for each participant. The thread got started because there were a lot of young newbies showing up without any preparations and many of us got tired of giving our stuff away to people who had no intention of ever replacing it.

RARECJ8
January 23rd, 2017, 06:28 PM
Will speaks truth. This site neither condones or organized any runs. It is a mere information portal to post a run info, subject to stated minimum requirements, like tire size. The list is what is strongly suggested and is voluntary, but dont be shocked if one shows up unprepared and expects to be coddled and is ignored. No one is left behind but good faith effort to be self sufficient is priceless.

maxamillion2345
January 23rd, 2017, 08:47 PM
Yep, nothing organized or sanctioned by any club or group. Just random people hooking up, like tinder.

MattDiceZJ
January 25th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Blinker fluid, be sure to get the subzero fluid for colder temps.

RARECJ8
January 25th, 2017, 05:35 PM
To be sure, remember to swap out your fall tire air for the winter blend. You'll get better traction and increased MPG.