PDA

View Full Version : Question

TJELLY
November 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM
what does anybody think about body lifts?:scratch: :scratch:

kairo
November 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
1" or less. any higher looks rediculous and can be dangerous. Though, everyone's opinions will vary

Dr Smash
November 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Buy a sawzall they are cheaper and you will get a lot more use out of it:)

72 Virginians
November 9th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Don't have much experience with them. But, from what I read, I have to agree with Kairo. With Jeeps, there are so many different kinds of lift kits available, it costs just as much for a suspension lift as a body lift (except for XJ, ZJ, WJ, KJ, WK, and XK. All unibody).

TJELLY
November 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Don't have much experience with them. But, from what I read, I have to agree with Kairo. With Jeeps, there are so many different kinds of lift kits available, it costs just as much for a suspension lift as a body lift (except for XJ, ZJ, WJ, KJ, WK, and XK. All unibody).
i can buy one for 150, lift and bumper brackets at summit and do it myself tho.

Dnmeistr
November 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM
If you are looking at bumper brackets then :barf: JKS 1.25" is the most I would put on.

70GMC
November 10th, 2006, 01:45 AM
keep in mind if you have an automatic, you might have to extend the linkage, and maybe even go to a longer steering shaft, depending on how big of a body lift you put on. i personally think they're lame. yeah they make your truck look big but they don't really do s**t for your suspension travel and action, or the distrance between your frame and the ground. i mean if you're doing a 6 inch susp. lift and you wanna fit 38" tires on it without trimming, sure, get a 2" body lift. why not? but having a body lift and no suspension lift is sorta pointless in my opinion.

72 Virginians
November 10th, 2006, 05:40 AM
i can buy one for 150, lift and bumper brackets at summit and do it myself tho.

But does that include motor mounts, t-case lift, and maybe some linkage extentions? For $200 or a little more, you can get a 2" spacer kit and shocks for a TJ. That's enough to clear 33"s unless you flex it out too much.

Air Sierra
November 10th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I would agree I would not go higher then a 1.25" body lift they just do not look good.............

NVScouter
November 10th, 2006, 06:07 AM
This is the Chevy under your name? If its a 1/2 or 3/4 2" is fine. The brackets just cover the spacers. Alot of Scout guys use body lifts for extra engine compartment room.

But does that include motor mounts, t-case lift, ...?
The motor and t-case mount to the frame not the body. They wont move when you do a body lift, no other mounts needed.

keep in mind if you have an automatic, you might have to extend the linkage, and maybe even go to a longer steering shaft, depending on how big of a body lift you put on. i personally think they're lame. yeah they make your truck look big but they don't really do s**t for your suspension travel and action, or the distrance between your frame and the ground. i mean if you're doing a 6 inch susp. lift and you wanna fit 38" tires on it without trimming, sure, get a 2" body lift. why not? but having a body lift and no suspension lift is sorta pointless in my opinion

The linkages usualy come in weld in pieces of the kits. But as for everything else you said its right on the money.

Body lifts have a time, place and max heigth. I did a 3" BL first because I didnt know better back then and while it helped some areas you'd be suprised at how much an extra inch over the max size BL effects everyting. A 2" would have been bolt on, the 3" I had to drop the radiator, extend my brake hardlines, fuel filler neck(I.E.replace), clutch linkage, reroute speed-o cable, fuel lines, re-do/re-route alot of my wiring. So the $100 kit I got cost me a ton of time and alot more $ than what I paid for the kit.

If your going to do a BL keep it small as alot of other people have said.

72 Virginians
November 10th, 2006, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=NVScouter;68619]
The motor and t-case mount to the frame not the body. They wont move when you do a body lift, no other mounts needed.
[QUOTE]

I was refering to the TJ's. If you go any higher than the 1.25" body lift there will be driveline issues. Most of those are remedied with a motor mount lift and linkage extentions. As far as full-size GM trucks, I don't know. But, I'm willing to learn.

NVScouter
November 10th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I was refering to the TJ's. If you go any higher than the 1.25" body lift there will be driveline issues.

Hmmm having a hard time picturing this. Got pics? If the engine/tranny/t-case all are frame mounted, then when you BL the drivelines dont move either. Does part of the body come up and interfere with the drivelines or something?

4x Adventurer
November 10th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Scout specific issues:
1. The fan will hit the shroud, this need modification.
2. Wiring harness is pulled tight causing problems.
3. The transfer case shifter hits the floor pan trans cover, this needs modification.
4. The steering column angle causes binding and needs clearancing.

You might find it best to replace the sagging and squished body mount with new sock ones, and lift with suspention.

4x Adventurer
November 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM
You might also check out www.scoutswest.com. Scoutzilla is a buddy of mine, he's got more functioning scouts than anyone I've seen!

Sierra Valley
November 10th, 2006, 07:58 AM
My jeep came with a 2-2.5" body lift. I had to lengthen my steering shaft as it came out of the coupler down at the steering box.

72 Virginians
November 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Sorry about the delay, we got busy.

Anyway, you have to use the taller engine mounts of any body lift over 1.25" on a TJ due to cooling issues. (Lining up with the radiator, shroud, etc). When you lift the engine and tranny, you get driveline issues. This also affects the T-case linkage (which also gets messed with t-case drops on suspension lifts in different ways) so, that has to be modified. I'll find something more detailed on this later today.

72 Virginians
November 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM
My jeep came with a 2-2.5" body lift. I had to lengthen my steering shaft as it came out of the coupler down at the steering box.

I forgot to mention that too.

Anyway, my experience about body lifts come from research and articles I have read about Tj's. I have no real world experience. I was thinking about a 1" body lift and a 3" lift kit for mine. After reading about it, a lot of people had problems with this combo.

Dennis
November 10th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I have 1" BL and 1" motor mounts. I needed that to be able to use NVG241OR t-case without having to modify the floor or dropping the skid. And raised motor mounts allowed me not to mess with the fan shroud.

TJELLY
November 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM
thank everyone, i think im putting on a 3'' on my chevy this weekend because i already have 4'' suspansion lift. yea its my chevy

NVScouter
November 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM
thank everyone, i think im putting on a 3'' on my chevy this weekend because i already have 4'' suspansion lift. yea its my chevy

\
:mrt1:

Samco Fab
November 10th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Body lifts have thier place. If you have no suspension lift on a stock truck and put a 3" body lift, yes it looks lame. But look at the positives:

Keeps your center of gravity lower

Better drive line angles

Flatter suspension links, 4 link- less roll/ articulation steer, a arms- flatter- good thing, in general less angled suspenson from less or no lift is almost always better.
Ground clearance comes from tires not suspension, so you do have more clearance.

Easier maintenence and cleaning, more access and light

More hood clearance for stuff

Cheap and easy

In the production classes that we run in, a 3" max body lift and taller springs and a maximum of I think 3" of fender trimming are the only way to "lift" your vehicle. It is common to see stock Fords and Chevy trucks running 35's and 37" with these rules, and they dont have that body lift lame look. They also have extensive bumper and cage structure that ties into the body and frame and are race trucks, so they look good. They are also not body lift kits, they take the place of body mount rubber pucks and are solid aluminum, and often times hourglass shaped to reduce weight....so they are trick.

On a stock vehicle, in general you dont want to do much body lift without suspension lift, it looks crappy. I would do a 2" body lift if I was you.