PDA

View Full Version : My Boatside XJ

Zebaru
December 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Most of you are aware of my silly little boatside XJ project. There are a few threads on it here and there, but since it is all mostly done now, I might as well put it in here...

Totalled 88 XJ Limited
D44 rear, D30 Front, 4.88's, Lock rights.
Hacked, tubed, boatsided.
3" lift with Rusty's coils, combination Rusty's and stock leafs (Rusty's were too tall...)
More or less stock everything else...

And finally starting to look like I wanted now that I have had some time to get going on the body work.

http://www.reno4x4.com/gallery/files/2/0/passside.JPG

The new paint doesn't match the old exactly, but I wanted to keep it cheap, so I just found a color that was close at the parts store and went with it. Once it is covered in dust and scratches, it should be hardly noticeable...

Sauce
December 4th, 2006, 08:53 AM
do you have any more pics trav? It is looking badass!

Dirty Harry
December 4th, 2006, 09:14 AM
What is going on with the tubes through the rear doors? It looks like sometimes it is on the outside and sometimes it is on the inside.

72 Virginians
December 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I was looking at that. I thought it was a reflection at first.

Looks good though. More pics?

Zebaru
December 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
What is going on with the tubes through the rear doors? It looks like sometimes it is on the outside and sometimes it is on the inside.

You got it.

The cage is integrated into the side openings. It sticks out about 1/2" at the top, and is flush with the body at the bottom. I put a bend at about the original window line to generally match the bend in the body lines. That bottom part of the XJ has a curve in it and the tube is straight so the body curves out and goes outside the tube before meeting back up at the bottom.

The idea was a cage that provided some 'body' protection, but had more structure than a traditional exo. There are a handful of development pics over in my gallery that will give you a little more insight into the whole thing. It was a PITA to do it this way, and who knows if it was worth it. At first I really didn't like how it looked much (especially the C pillars), but all cleaned up like this, it is starting to grow on me.

The rear door is just a bolted on skin BTW.

MR.ROCKAPE
December 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Looks pretty good ......Connect!!!:rolleyes: Upper BC is calling out to you!!!!Are you gonna try to put the front two doors back on it???Are you gonna add the simulated wood paneling back on it???

Connect
December 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
What cockape? :roll:

Finally looks good when all is said and done, can't wait to see you wheel it!

BigNorm
December 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Nice work! very clean. :)

Cagle
December 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Mrburns
December 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
can i see a pic of your steering setup? it doesn't seem stock...??

rok-jeep
December 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Its not, he bought me old axles. The front has a teraflex high steer knuckle with a custom tie rod and drag link with rod ends.

Zebaru
December 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Cagle's pics show it pretty well actually, but here is the best steering pic I have laying around...

http://www.reno4x4.com/gallery/files/2/0/steering.JPG

The passenger side bracket and links were on the axle when I got it from Geoff. To be honest, I have looked all over for this exact setup, and I could not find it. MORE sells a kit that is very similar, but not identical. As far as I know, the Teraflex kit Geoff mentioned does the same thing, but uses an entirely new knuckle instead of the bolt on part. I think this might have been a one-off thing, or at least come from a low-volume shop.

The links are 1" .120 sleeved with 1.25" .120 (I think), and use 7/8" ends. The tie rod is actually a little bent from before I got it and it was interfering with a few things at full lock. Despite doing as much clearancing as I could (note the hacked diff cover), the tie rod interfered with the track bar when it was still at stock height, so I had to mount it under the arm on the driver's side. I might have enough room to move it back over now...

The track bar is 1.25", and I think it is only .120 wall. It might be chromoly? Anyway, Samco put it together for me based on a hacked stock one I used for mock-up, and it seems to be holding up just fine. The frame mount is also just a modified stock piece to accomodate a bushing. The bottom piece extends up the side a ways, and that was welded on by Sam as well. Even though it was custom, it ended up costing less than something like a RE HD unit...

Even with no stabilizer, a garage floor alignment, and unbalanced wheels, it fells pretty solid. I don't have enough power to turn well in the rocks, but that is due to the locker I suspect. I wouldn't have done something like this if it wasn't already on the axle when I bought it, but it works well, and I could see where it would help out if I was beyond stock steering.

Zebaru
December 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Looks pretty good ......Connect!!!:rolleyes: Upper BC is calling out to you!!!!Are you gonna try to put the front two doors back on it???Are you gonna add the simulated wood paneling back on it???

Again with the name calling. I don't now how you get it wrong - you can clearly see the super stroker motor in the steering picture...

Upper BC is so far beyond this rig it is laughable... I would probably have to pull out the stacking rocks just to get past the first bypass - and all the tube work on this rig has really killed my stacking rock storage space. But maybe I can actually run lesser BC without thrashing my rig now...

I have been batting the front door idea around, and have had it all mocked up, etc, but I have not come up with a decent solution for hinges and latches yet. Before it is all said and done, I suspect I will have some hack setup thrown together. One thing that is stopping me is that I dont want to cut into my perfectly good drivers side door yet. Maybe when the white rig is decomisioned I will steal the beat up door from it and get it done... Then again, that rig transported the famous Mr Rockape to the very first Rockgods Upper BC attempt and I would hate to destroy a pice of history like that. Maybe I just need to find a whole new door...

This poor rig never had the fake wood. I think only the Wagoneer and Briarwood got that. I might end up putting the gold pin stripes back on however. That will compliment the gold badges... Sure, the J E E P letters on the front look like they were put on by a blind man, but they are still shiny gold, and its all about the bling yo...

Mrburns
December 5th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Rok-jeep and zebra... how do you rate that teraflex knuckle...i've heard pages of stories...but you never know... and was this the first Tera knuckle that bolted to two of hub bolts? or the replacement knuckle?

Zebaru
December 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Rok-jeep and zebra... how do you rate that teraflex knuckle...i've heard pages of stories...but you never know... and was this the first Tera knuckle that bolted to two of hub bolts? or the replacement knuckle?

No replacement knuckle here. This bolts on to two hub bolts, in three places on the steering arm, and with the big bolt on the tie rod. A little bit of fab skill and you could easily re-create this piece yourself...

Other than all the clearance issues (I have no idea how you could run an anti-sway bar for instance) it seems to work fine. The angles are amazing, and at my level of lift, the drag link is pretty much flat. I have no fears about maxing the steering.

As for longevity or reliability, I have no real idea. I have run it on Barrett, Rubicon, and some local stuff, and it has held up without issue. FWIW, I dont really forsee it failing catastrophically either given they way it is built. I drive this thing on the highway, and have no qualms about doing so...

Not sure how much this setup cost, but if the price was right, I would definitely consider it a good option for a big lift XJ. Price aside, I would rate it below the WJ conversion and current Tera knuckle, but above all the other bolt on systems I have seen (Of course I have never run any of those, just from what I have seen and read...).

Travis

MR.ROCKAPE
December 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Again with the name calling. I don't now how you get it wrong - you can clearly see the super stroker motor in the steering picture...

Upper BC is so far beyond this rig it is laughable... I would probably have to pull out the stacking rocks just to get past the first bypass - and all the tube work on this rig has really killed my stacking rock storage space. But maybe I can actually run lesser BC without thrashing my rig now...

I have been batting the front door idea around, and have had it all mocked up, etc, but I have not come up with a decent solution for hinges and latches yet. Before it is all said and done, I suspect I will have some hack setup thrown together. One thing that is stopping me is that I dont want to cut into my perfectly good drivers side door yet. Maybe when the white rig is decomisioned I will steal the beat up door from it and get it done... Then again, that rig transported the famous Mr Rockape to the very first Rockgods Upper BC attempt and I would hate to destroy a pice of history like that. Maybe I just need to find a whole new door...

This poor rig never had the fake wood. I think only the Wagoneer and Briarwood got that. I might end up putting the gold pin stripes back on however. That will compliment the gold badges... Sure, the J E E P letters on the front look like they were put on by a blind man, but they are still shiny gold, and its all about the bling yo...

OOPS MISSED THE STROKER...........DBXJ???SORRY BOUT LOSING THAT PRIME STACKING ROCK SPACE WITH THOSE BOAT SIDES!!!!STEP UP!!!!YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT TO BE A "WOODY":scratch: