PDA

View Full Version : Burned out

Fish Sticks
June 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM
I'm currently working on the new 395 extension in Pleasant Valley. I talked with a guy that has seen the burned out jeep that started the Galena Creek fire (I don't really know what they are naming the fire)on sunday night. Jeep is still on the mountain. My second hand info (nonjeeper) said it was a red TJ and it was BBR, he said the wheels were melted. He thought it was a Cali rig, but didn't know for sure.
Bum deal for the owner as the area he was in was not an offroad area, no trail either. Sounds like he will take some heat for causing the fire.
Anyone else have any info? Or know the poor guy?

KYOTA
June 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM
you said your working on 395 are you an operator?

Fish Sticks
June 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
you said your working on 395 are you an operator?

No I work for Engineering firm. When you moving to Reno?

KYOTA
June 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM
soon as someone hooks me up with a jay oh bee :D

thats cool, you draw it and I build it!

Fish Sticks
June 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
thats cool, you draw it and I build it!

Just build it, never could stand the indoors (but I miss the sweeties). Whats your background? Maybe someone here can hook you up.

KYOTA
June 22nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
operator 15 years exp. currently a member of local 701 out of Portland, I run pretty much everything but I refuse to run scrapers anymore, let the young bucks bounce around in those all day :disagree:

spoon
June 22nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Check with OE Local #3. Seems like I heard from someone a little while back that they were looking for more guys.

KYOTA
June 23rd, 2005, 09:45 AM
I heard the same thing from a buddy thats a piledriver from Penryn, he said its hoppin down there and 3 is empty, I guess I just have to commit.

rusty_tlc
June 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
I don't know how much it will help but most of the trucks and equipment I see around are :
Q&D
Granite
Peavine Const

Developers are pretty much backfilling the whole South Meadows area. I see Earth movers are running about 10 hrs a day down by my house.

Sauce
June 23rd, 2005, 02:26 PM
I heard the same thing from a buddy thats a piledriver from Penryn, he said its hoppin down there and 3 is empty, I guess I just have to commit.
if you are considering moving down to reno, be prepared for a shock, average home prices are about $250,000 :eek:

KYOTA
June 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah I know, did you see my thread on Reno real estate?

Sauce
June 23rd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah I know, did you see my thread on Reno real estate?
must have missed that one...:rolleyes:

Jeepers Creepers
June 28th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Hey, All. First post!

Yes, I know the guy. I have been helping him get the rig off the mountain (it's on BLM land, and they've been urging him to get the burned-out chassis off the mountain). It's been a little tough with "just" a stock Rubicon (no winch). We've managed to get it down to an ATV trail by Hi-Lift'ing it enough for us to roll it over, 180-degrees-at-a-time. Right now, it's just off the side of the trail, about 500 ft from the I-395 construction site.

My friend spoke with a local salvage yard, and they agreed to pick up the Jeep on a flat-bed if he can at least get it off the trail. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it moved about 500 ft, up a 20-degree ATV trail, and into past the construction site? I was thinking about buying a winch, since I'd buy one anyway, then slowly winching the chassis up the hill. I think the hard part, getting the Jeep off the mountain, is already done.

Thanks,

David

KYOTA
June 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Do you have access to a gas powered cut-off saw? cut it up and haul it out. Kudos on the cleanup and to the yard thats willing to come and pick it up! :youguysneedabeersmiley:

rusty_tlc
June 28th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hey, All. First post!

Yes, I know the guy. I have been helping him get the rig off the mountain (it's on BLM land, and they've been urging him to get the burned-out chassis off the mountain). It's been a little tough with "just" a stock Rubicon (no winch). We've managed to get it down to an ATV trail by Hi-Lift'ing it enough for us to roll it over, 180-degrees-at-a-time. Right now, it's just off the side of the trail, about 500 ft from the I-395 construction site.

My friend spoke with a local salvage yard, and they agreed to pick up the Jeep on a flat-bed if he can at least get it off the trail. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it moved about 500 ft, up a 20-degree ATV trail, and into past the construction site? I was thinking about buying a winch, since I'd buy one anyway, then slowly winching the chassis up the hill. I think the hard part, getting the Jeep off the mountain, is already done.

Thanks,

David

I don't think you will find a winch with 500' of cable. If you use a cut off saw make sure it has a spark arrestor and you can take care of a fire if need be. I wouldn't even consider torching it apart right now.

Jeepers Creepers
June 28th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I hear ya on the fire-threat. We have a running joke about the news covering "that same moron that started the Pleasant Valley Blaze...just re-started it!" We've been going up the mountain with shovels and 2 big (and heavy) fire extinguishers...just in case.

As for the winch, I wasn't planning on doing it in one fell swoop, but in 100-ft sections. I'm looking for a winch as we speak. The XD9000i on eBay looks pretty good.

David

rusty_tlc
June 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Check this out Winch Depot (http://www.winchdepot.com/winchDetail.asp?partNumber=27550) first. Free shipping, plus they usually throw in some free stuff. I got a receiver shackle probably worth $30.
$776.99 compared to $770+shipping for a used one on e-bay.

Jeepers Creepers
June 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I've been checking that out, too. A little off-thread, but...anyone have experience with a Pull-Pal? It just seems ideal for our Nevada desert landscape, i.e. general lack of trees-as-anchors. I was thinking of using it tied to my rear bumper, then winching stuff towards me. The Pull-Pal would keep me from sliding forward.

David

KYOTA
June 28th, 2005, 10:11 AM
DOH!! I didnt even think of restarting the blaze I'm use to everything being wet around here :D how about a cordless sawzall?

rusty_tlc
June 28th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I've been checking that out, too. A little off-thread, but...anyone have experience with a Pull-Pal? It just seems ideal for our Nevada desert landscape, i.e. general lack of trees-as-anchors. I was thinking of using it tied to my rear bumper, then winching stuff towards me. The Pull-Pal would keep me from sliding forward.

David
Link?

To keep from sliding a pair of wheel chocks chained to your bumper works great. That's what tow truck drivers do. Don't ask me how I know that.

RARECJ8
June 28th, 2005, 01:30 PM

David

i've used a Pull-Pal for 5 yeeras now and in the winter, never leave home w/out it--especially helpful in the snow/mud. for summer, i leave it home-- no need for that on Rubicon, Fordyce, etc.

It's well worth its weight in gold when u REALLY need it.

mb

Jeepers Creepers
June 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
i've used a Pull-Pal for 5 yeeras now and in the winter, never leave home w/out it--especially helpful in the snow/mud. for summer, i leave it home-- no need for that on Rubicon, Fordyce, etc.

It's well worth its weight in gold when u REALLY need it.

mb
In the interest of not hijacking this thread, let me start a new one regarding Pull-Pals

Thanks,

David