PDA

View Full Version : Hi, everyone.

Brizzman
January 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I've been playing around with my stock XJ for a few months now, and I'm pretty happy with it. I've mostly been up on Peavine, but went up to Hunter Lake a couple times, and out to Moon Rocks and Dogskin mountain. However, I want to improve a few things. I need some attachment/recovery points first. The Cherokee has none at all, and I don't see a cheap and easy place to put any. (I haven't pulled off the bumpers to look yet, though.)

Does anyone know of any simple bolt on solutions? Thanks for any suggestions.

Anyway, I'm going to go out tomorrow and maybe Wednesday (Tues and Weds off at work). A friend of mine wants to look for some caves he knew about a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Connect
January 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
The easiest and cheapest thing to do for a rear attatchment point is to get a tow hitch. I picked mine up off an XJ at pick n pull for $13, it took 10 bolts to get it off (the nuts were in the up in the boxed frame with tabs on them so it was super easy to remove), it was easier to get it off then put it back on, but still rather simple.

As far as the front, you can get the stock XJ tow hook brackets for I think $30, and then a 10k pound bolt on tow hook from like summit for $10.

Bumpers would be the next step but they aren't super cheap, and you'd need a good welder with some skill's to build one.

kairo
January 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Welcome to Reno4x4. We're known somewhat lovingly by a few members as the "XJ nation" You'll find lots of XJ advice and knowledge here.

JEEPER89
January 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
best way to add some attachement points.... sell it and buy a wrangler..;) but if you dont want to do that.. i would add some bumpers..

Brizzman
January 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Connect, I tried Pick n Pull for a receiver hitch, but the nuts were mounted to a bar inside the subframe tube and the bar was pop riveted in place. I didn't have a drill with me and left it all there. It got cold right after and I just didn't go back. I'll have to get ready to face the cold, I guess. They had plenty of them, at least.

Do the stock hook mounts bolt on to any XJ? I saw some XJs at P n P with hooks, but I didn't know if they would fit mine. Mine looked different. I didn't know the mounts were separate either, though.

I probably won't put too much into this (I was looking for a YJ when I bought it), but I was totally surprised by how well it 4 wheels. Much better than my last 3 4x4s (Chevys and a Ford), though maybe some of that is better driving on my part.

72 Virginians
January 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Keep lookin at PnP or Reno Auto Wreckers for a hitch. Somthing will turn up.

Rusty's had front tow hook kits on their website. Check em out.

And I'll give another plug to EricXJ's book. You can find it on Amazon.com. Just search for Jeep Cherokee or XJ. Tons of good info there.

DBXJ
January 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
you can get Erics book at summit too.

Connect
January 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Connect, I tried Pick n Pull for a receiver hitch, but the nuts were mounted to a bar inside the subframe tube and the bar was pop riveted in place.

Do the stock hook mounts bolt on to any XJ?

I believe installation is differen't for every hitch, depending on who put it on. Since there is no way to put a wrench up in that sub frame people come up with some ingenius ways to do it :roll: I picked the newest looking one and went at it, (looked damn near brand new)

As far as the hooks, I believe they are universal on all xj's, they mount to the three front bumper bolts (either side), however you may have to trim some of that plastic fascia in order to fit the hook on. It just gets in the way anyways.

Dennis
January 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
We're known somewhat lovingly by a few members as the "XJ nation".

Not according to this poll. --> What is your primary wheeling rig? - Reno4x4.com (http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6326) :nono:

kairo
January 8th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I had to vote stock small truck. It's not my fault :( :gapteeth:

72 Virginians
January 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
:(
You haven't been a member of the XJ nation for almost a year now.

kairo
January 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Sheesh. Everyone knows the Sonoma is a far superior vehicle to the XJ :cool: :spike: :D

Reno Computer Repair
January 9th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I have a tow hitch on my 93 Grand Cherokee, I don't know if it will fit your, check into it & let me know.

Charlie
January 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Did we get the GC back?

Connect
January 9th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Not according to this poll. --> http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6326 :nono:

Well, out of the top three posters, the first two are built unibody jeeps, the third overall is built swb but he always breaks his thing so I'm not sure if it counts as a "rig", maybe just pieces of a rig slopped together to make something that looks like a CJ :roll:

Yea kevin you get that GC back or what? What's wrong with it now? (besides the bumper) I'd daily drive the crap outta it and get your moneys worth for that engine swap :idea:

Reno Computer Repair
January 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Chasenme & I played repo man last weekend. Rented a car trailer from Uhaul and were gone in 60 seconds...more like 5 minutes.

The engine swap is problematic. Would need new transmission, so that puts it over budget. I would rather spend the 800+ on a chip, cold air intake, and headers, hopefully that will solve my 3rd gear up 395N balls out problem (max speed 55MPH).

Dr Smash
January 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the board !!