PDA

View Full Version : sand blaster?

ZackMicF
November 16th, 2013, 09:42 PM
i wanted to repaint my frame and axles on my 01 F250, but I didn't want to spend forever sanding it, and it doesn't have to be perfect I just want to get most the dirty and loose paint off, ive never sand blasted before

I was wondering if it was worth getting into and how well it works?
like whats the pros and cons?
whats a good place to get one and which ones are good?

Ben
November 17th, 2013, 11:58 AM
It takes a monster air compressor to do a job that big. It won't be cost-effective for what you want. You might be able to shop out the job, but probably a different technique will work.

I have a engine-powered air compressor that supplies over 11 cfm at 90 psi. It's barely adequate to run a little blaster gun that blasts a dime-size area at a time. It does an awesome job on something like a steering knuckle. But it's a really noisy, dirty, nasty job that makes a huge mess. Most people will pay up for a blast cabinet to keep the mess contained. But you're still talking about doing parts, not whole frames.

Mr_Scott
November 17th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Hand it over to Peabody man. Great work and great prices. You will never get this done with consumer grade equipment.

69cj5
November 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM
The best smaller home sand blasters are great for small parts. But an entire frame is best done with a rented commercial machine or send it out. It will take forever with a pressure pot you buy at summit and whatever compressor you have will likely be too small unless your compressor can supply more than 20 crm at 90 psi. That is a serious compressor costing close to $2000 at least.

Ben
November 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM
That is a serious compressor costing close to $2000 at least.

At least, not to mention that you won't get enough power to run it unless you have 3-phase service, or a small diesel. I'd like to replace the compressor I have now with an upgrade, but I'm staggering at the cost of even getting over 16 cfm. There's some big compressors on local Craigslist, but they're still quite a few thousand.