PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 101 through Oregon: anyone familiar with it?

PapasXJ
February 5th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Looking for a few "must see" places to stop while driving down early summer. A couple microbreweries are a must.

Any ideas/suggestions?

211john
February 5th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Port Orford has probably the best view looking back at the coast. 42.739338, -124.498962. I don't know about the microbreweries. The entire trip is one big scenic drive.

Reeves
February 5th, 2014, 03:41 PM
McMenamins for the brewpub. I didn't see one on the coast, I know them from Eugene and Portland, but it looks like they server the beer at another brewpub in Lincoln City, Lighthouse Brewpub. Probably worth investigating. Hell any brewpub that's along the way is likely good. Great beer in OR.

RARECJ8
February 5th, 2014, 03:56 PM
last summer on a visit to Assland, we spent the whole day here:

http://www.standingstonebrewing.com/index.html

Good stuff!

PapasXJ
February 5th, 2014, 04:05 PM
last summer on a visit to Assland, we spent the whole day here:

http://www.standingstonebrewing.com/index.html

Good stuff!

Looks good but not on 101. Maybe we can stop on our way up since we'll be on I-5.

L.D.
February 5th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I'll second on the Standing Stone. good food as well.

CrabbyCJ
February 5th, 2014, 04:57 PM
I've spent a lot of time on the central Oregon coast.
Like Reeves said, Lincoln City has a McMenamins. it's at the North end of town in the Bi-Mart parking lot (you can see the Bi-Mart from 101). They do brew there, but it's a tiny operation relative to the Portland McMenamins. Decent pub type food, and great beer.
The must stop would be the Rouge brewery in Newport on the south end of the bay. Above average pub food and killer beer. They also do their own distilling in town. They are not allowed to sell the hard stuff at the brewery, but they have a bar across the parking lot. They also do garage sales from time to time. You can get some fairly discounted beer and swag. As a bonus, there is an aquarium across the street. So if you have little ones, you can send them that way while you hit the brewery. Or head over to walk it off.

I'm sure there are others. I rarely make it past Rouge though.

McNasty
February 5th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I'll second Rogue. I have never been to the brewery, but they make some of my favorite beer.

RelentlessTaco
February 5th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I grew up on the Oregon coast and family still lives there.

I would have to agree that Port Orford has some of the best views, also south of there by about 45min down at Cape Sebastian overlooking the section of coastline by Pistol River/Face Rock's. This is just south of Gold Beach by 5-10 min(where I happened to live up there).

For a little bit of the touristy stores and food, Bandon has you set. Nice place to stop and grab lunch, and there's a cheese factory there with samples and some good/cheap ice cream if you happen to have kids with ya.

Shoot up the coast another 45 min and you get through Coos bay and you can check out the Dunes there if you happen to be in a 4x4(or you could always rent a couple ATVs' or a SXS for a few hours of fun).

As for brew places, definitely hit up Rogue Brewery in Newport a bit farther up the coast! They've got some great beer.

WJeeper
February 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I grew up in Coquille, close to Bandon. The Cheese factory in bandon was closed and demolished a few years back, kinda sad. Now there is only a parking lot where the building was. I don't know much about the breweries since i was underage while there. If you are taking an off road rig, the dunes just north of Coos Bay are always fun. Some pretty views along the coast, and just driving along is fun, as long as the fog is not present.

RelentlessTaco
February 5th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I grew up in Coquille, close to Bandon. The Cheese factory in bandon was closed and demolished a few years back, kinda sad. Now there is only a parking lot where the building was. I don't know much about the breweries since i was underage while there. If you are taking an off road rig, the dunes just north of Coos Bay are always fun. Some pretty views along the coast, and just driving along is fun, as long as the fog is not present.

A new building took the place of the old cheese factory in Bandon recently. While not the same as before, it's still worth the stop. They've got some good gourmet cheeses there. The "vampire slayer" garlic sharp cheddar is delicious!

McNasty
February 5th, 2014, 08:01 PM
If you are on the 101 early enough go to Ukiah Brewing Company in Ukiah. I have been there twice on the way to Fort Bragg and both times have really enjoyed it. The Palace Porter and the Doppel Dunkel are really good. It's in a cool old historic building.

RelentlessTaco
February 5th, 2014, 08:36 PM
On that note, lost coast brewery in Eureka ca is pretty good too. And then you'd be driving through the redwoods along the coast on the way up to the Oregon border

McNasty
February 5th, 2014, 08:45 PM
And stop at Leggett and drive through the tree!

aztec777
February 5th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I lived in Siletz, Newport and Lincoln City for a few years.

Rogue Ales is kinda cool, but there is better brew to be found. Try Mc Menamins in Lincoln City. If you're into dark brew I highly suggest the Terminator. A great little place right on the beach is in Pacific City. It's called Pelican Pub & Brewery. When we used to hang out there there was literally not a bad beer to be found. If you like that area you can stay at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda. I believe every room has an ocean view.

For incredibly fresh seafood, Gino's in Newport is a requirement. Fresh catch everyday, processed, seasoned and cooked in-house. My mouth is watering already. You can get whole Dungeness crab, shrimp, halibut, etc. until you can't take it anymore. Rogue Ales isn't very far from Gino's. You may get lucky and see a pod of Orca come into the bay and feed on the sea lions. That is an awesome sight.

Stop and check out a couple of the numerous lighthouses. Yaquina Bay (Newport) and Haceda Head (about 10 miles north of Florence) are very cool.

If you're into cheese stop by Bandon and Tillamook. Oh, on the way into Tillamook you will pass huge fields where the Army docked zeppelins (blimps) during World War II. I think it's called Moffett Field.

There are tons of small towns and funky antique/junk shops that have interesting stuff in there and interesting people, too.

Take your time and watch out for log trucks and hippies.

nightscout
February 6th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I grew up in Warrenton (Astoria area just off 101 before you go into Washington), 1994 I was H.S. age then so not much bar experience, but after college I did visit a few times and drank. Wet Dog cafe (Astora Brewing Company) was pretty good, the dirty D (also known as Desdemona club) is a good locals pub, a lot of the bars in the area are rustic fisherman's drinking holes, but as of the last few years more trendy atmosphere pubs and cafe's are being built in the area. As far as restaurants Pig'n'Pancake (right under the bridge) is great for breakfast, for seafood I love Peir 11, or just down the road in Seaside the Shilo Inn has an amazing restaurant that is right on the beachfront (sunset dinner time is best), Seaside is a great place to walk the main street and boardwalk and kill a day (if it's nice out). Oh and if your in the mood for Pizza I highly recommend Fultono's, there is one in Seaside's arcade, or in Warrenton at the 3 way intersection off main street , for icecream or just a good greasy burger, I recommend Diary Maid in Warrenton same intersection. PM me if you want to know of tourist hot stops or camping suggestions in the area. Have fun, take lots of pics early summer you will probably still have cloudy and rain most of the time, but take your time and enjoy the coastline.

PapasXJ
February 6th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

So we're not taking the wheeler since it's our return trip from a cruise out of Seattle. So we'll just be "tourists" checking out the sights, shops, food and drink. Therefore, if we were going to stay two nights in a single town along the 101, in order to have a FULL day to explore, where would be the best place?