PDA

View Full Version : If You Stack-it Unstack-it

JOE THE TOE
August 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
THIS IS TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO GO & DO TRAILS IN THERE RIGS,WHETHER IT BE A JEEP,TOYOTA, SUZUKI,LANDROVER,CHEVY,FORD,DODGE,KIA, I DON'T GIVE A SHIAT.............IF YOU STACK IT.........UNFRIGGEN STACK IT WHEN YOUR DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :maddance3 :maddance3 :maddance3

MR.ROCKAPE
August 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM
YEAH,ALL YOU NON-BIG TIRE HAVIN,MALL WHEELIN,GORILLA WELDIN,WELD BREAKIN,FLAME BRACKET HAVIN,TENT STEALIN,NO SHOCK WHEELIN,FOOL SIZE DRIVIN,TRAIL ROCK STACKIN,CRAYOLA CANYON CRAWLIN,NO PIC POSTIN,DRIVEWAY PIC POSTIN,PROPANE HAVIN,NO ROCK BUGGY SCRATCHIN,WEB WHEELERS THIS MEANS YOU!!
OH YEAH AND ANYONE WITH AN XJ :disagree:

I think Joe the :gapteeth: means business, :lamer:

Connect
August 14th, 2005, 05:51 PM
:rock:

Ok maybe I just don't really know what hes talking about, does he mean physically stacking rocks on top of each other? Or stacking the trail with rigs....
:ne_nau:

spoon
August 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN! Toe your damn right! Funny thing is most of these fools building rock ramps up obstacles are the same people who scream ***** and complain when a boulder gets rolled on to the trail by some fools. Altering a trail is altering a trail whether its mass amounts of rockstacking or prying boulders out of a hillside. Both are wrong and show disrespect for everyone else who is using the trail, be it mall crawler or hardcore wheeler. If its necessary to throw a rock under a tire to get yourself unstuck, then fine. Just take a second and pitch the rock back to the side of the trail when your done. And for hells sake if you can't make a trail without building rock ramps up every obstacle either (A) learn to drive (B) build your rig better or (C) go find another trail! :mad:

JOE THE TOE
August 14th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Amen,brother! :)

Scrub
August 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
OH YEAH AND ANYONE WITH AN XJ :disagree:

Does that really include me? : :scratchhe :bs:

-Matt-

JOE THE TOE
August 14th, 2005, 06:23 PM
ROCKAPE...............LETS GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

MR.ROCKAPE
August 14th, 2005, 09:00 PM
ROCKAPE...............LETS GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Ok but bring cash cause Throttleboy is wanting in on this action too!!

PizzaJeep
August 15th, 2005, 12:34 AM
amen to all yall

i do believe you have just been called out joey

im putting in my representation for where rockape was thinking about me(i feel loved)
for having 'gorilla welds' weld braker and flames bracket haver.. thats me!

Dirty Harry
August 15th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Altering a trail is altering a trail whether its mass amounts of rockstacking or prying boulders out of a hillside. Both are wrong and show disrespect for everyone else who is using the trail, be it mall crawler or hardcore wheeler.

:yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :yup:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

rusty_tlc
August 15th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I spent the weekend on the Rubicon.
From what I could tell it looks like the rocks just move from line to line on that trail.

Not trying to stir the pot but if you kick a rock off the trail with your tire shouldn't you go back and replace it?
Or if you get your sliders hung on a ledge and dig it out should you go back and fill it in?

Go to the Pirates site and look at old pictures of Little Sluice. It took a lot of guys with a great love of the skinny peddle to turn it into what it is today.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what Joe The Toe is saying, I just think it should go both ways.

RARECJ8
August 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM
So pizza jeep, harry, where's the Trek Report?

we had a blast and despite having raffle #s VERY close to the winners, didn't bag a thing. I did buy an ARB floursent (sp?) 12 VDC camp light-- very cool and it got use that very night lighting the way to mix drinks on the tailgate. Good time in camp after dinner, raffle, live music and the fire/bar area. FUN! We came out via Bowman res. and stopped at Emerald Pools on south fork yuba-- a must stop for anyone passing the 20/80 interchange.

mb

Scrub
August 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM
THIS IS TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO GO & DO TRAILS IN THERE RIGS,WHETHER IT BE A JEEP,TOYOTA, SUZUKI,LANDROVER,CHEVY,FORD,DODGE,KIA, I DON'T GIVE A SHIAT.............IF YOU STACK IT.........UNFRIGGEN STACK IT WHEN YOUR DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :maddance3 :maddance3 :maddance3

I Agree leave it the way you found it......But we all know that no matter what we say here its still gonna happen because there are those people out there that will do it even more so when they know that it irritates someone else..... :rolleyes:

spoon
August 15th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Go to the Pirates site and look at old pictures of Little Sluice. It took a lot of guys with a great love of the skinny peddle to turn it into what it is today.

Yeah and I suppose the run-off from the melting snow every spring has absolutely nothing to do with the way rocks move around in LS.
:rolleyes:

Zebaru
August 16th, 2005, 08:28 AM
A year or so ago, I ran through Bronco canyon, and right towards the end I got hung up, and in getting free, I tore a big rock out of the wall. At the time I figured it would be okay to leave it there in the trail, but I now understand the error of my ways.

Now I am faced with the prospect of remedying this unfortunate situation. Replacing the rock in the wall would be the best course of action obviously, but I do not think that this is possible given the nature of the original position (it was very loose). If I am able, the next time I go up there, I will remove the rock from the trail completely, as I feel that having it gone more approximates the ?original? trail than having it there but not up on the wall. In the mean time, I will see if I can find a picture of the rock in question so that those interested in maintaining the sanctity of the trail may take appropriate action if they do not want to wait for me to return and attempt to do it myself.

I do truly regret this, as the rock would likely have fallen in a year or two through the forces of nature to create a wonderful obstacle for all to enjoy. As it is now, it is merely another man-made blight on this wonderful trail.

Travis

rusty_tlc
August 16th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah and I suppose the run-off from the melting snow every spring has absolutely nothing to do with the way rocks move around in LS.
:rolleyes:
No argument Mother nature does her part to change trails. But I thought this was about how we impact the trails. If you belive all the erosion in LS is from run off I have a bridge for sale.

Lets be honest, we both know how many big rocks a rig on 36" tires with a SOA can pop when it's climbing. Modified rigs change the trail as much as the rock stackers.

To repeat, I agree that if you stack you should unstack.

rusty_tlc
August 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM
A year or so ago, I ran through Bronco canyon, and right towards the end I got hung up, and in getting free, I tore a big rock out of the wall. At the time I figured it would be okay to leave it there in the trail, but I now understand the error of my ways.

Now I am faced with the prospect of remedying this unfortunate situation. Replacing the rock in the wall would be the best course of action obviously, but I do not think that this is possible given the nature of the original position (it was very loose). If I am able, the next time I go up there, I will remove the rock from the trail completely, as I feel that having it gone more approximates the ?original? trail than having it there but not up on the wall. In the mean time, I will see if I can find a picture of the rock in question so that those interested in maintaining the sanctity of the trail may take appropriate action if they do not want to wait for me to return and attempt to do it myself.

I do truly regret this, as the rock would likely have fallen in a year or two through the forces of nature to create a wonderful obstacle for all to enjoy. As it is now, it is merely another man-made blight on this wonderful trail.

Travis

Who said sarcasem dosen't come across in this media? :D :D

So tell us how you feel about the stack - unstack question.

RARECJ8
August 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM
if ur stackin' ur slackin'

leave it like u found it

natural erosion is unavoidable and big rocks that are moved by tires will use gravity to go somewhere.

moving a BFR back uphill seems rather unreasonable.

trails are constantly in a state of flux, from many influences, so is it reasonable to maintain a trail in a state of arrested decay?

The rubicon's Gatekeeper, sections near buck island lake dam and cadillac hill are cemented in to maintain status quo. maybe more cement needs to be poured? i don't think so.

so what's it all mean?

be reasonable. if u find a rock ramp, leave it be. if u move a bunch of rocks, replace what u can. look at these two pix from LS-- someone 'helped' those BFRs get there, from above, and they're not going anywhere. There is a proposal to blast the big ones into little ones and to spray a special cement to the south face of LS-- but all it takes is some a$$hat to winch down some boulders and we're back where we started. Then there is the now new big rock pile in lower steve's loop. that looks like a combination of nature and intentional alteration for rigs that no longer get a thrill from the original trail condition.

so, maybe the answer is not so clear, so i'll say leave it like u found it and replace moved rocks if humanly possible.

mb

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/DSCN1085.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/DSCN1086.jpg

Zebaru
August 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Who said sarcasem dosen't come across in this media? :D :D

So tell us how you feel about the stack - unstack question.

I'm glad someone got it... And no - I don't actually intend to move the rock when I go back...

In general, I try not to stack rocks in the first place, but with my weenie little Cherokee, sometimes it is necessary for forward (or backward) progress. I generally feel that if I am in a big pile of rocks, and one or two have to be shifted for me to go through, it isnt that big of a deal to get them exactly back to where they came (like at the bottom of Steve's loop). However, if a rock gets pulled from off the trail or a compeletely different place or something, then I think it probably needs to be yanked back out after going through.

For those trails that are constantly getting worse, I have no problem 'repairing' them, even if the decay is a result of good ol' mother nature. A really simple example, but who doesn't condone the removal of a tree that falls across a trail?

Travis

BigNorm
August 17th, 2005, 08:19 AM
You all should go and yell at the annual paving crew. Aka the jeepers jamboree. Parade route my ***.

EricsXJ
August 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I think everyone here agrees, that if you stack rocks, they should be unstacked. In most cases I've seen, on runs that I have been on, the rocks that were stacked were small enough that the vehicle usually ends up kicking them right back out anyway. But if you need to build a full-on ramp to get over something, you should most definitely go back and un-do what you did. On our Rubicon trip, we stacked very few rocks and I think the only place was towards the bottom of Big Sluice where I got high centered. I walked back up and unstacked the one or two rocks we moved for the Land Cruiser group coming down behind us.

Now about the "Travis Rock" - last time we went through we pushed it over by hand. This was to stabilize it so someone doesn't get hurt if it gets bumped again. As Travis put it (sarcastically) there would be no way to restore that rock to its previous location on the wall. Sometimes big rocks get moved and I think theres a difference if it was done intentionally or not.

rusty_tlc
August 17th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I'm sure the Cruisers appreciated it. :)

EricsXJ
August 17th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I'm sure the Cruisers appreciated it. :)

I think they ended up taking the bypass. ;)

rusty_tlc
August 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I think they ended up taking the bypass. ;)
They were only Cruisers after all. ;)

CANYON KRAWLER MIKE
August 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE THE TOE
ROCKAPE...............LETS GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok but bring cash cause Throttleboy is wanting in on this action too!!

bring cash?? the last person that wanted to "wheel for cash" told us he hydrolocked his engine in a 1 foot deep puddle :loser:

xjmoser
January 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
:thumbsup::D

Sasquatch
January 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
This brings up a good point. I don't know how many people have visited bud canyon in the last week, but you might be in for a surprise. I spent a few hours last weekend unstacking the third waterfall, moving the rocks farther down the canyon. Thus I also created another obstacle (Not too bad) with all the rocks from the waterfall. Have fun.:)

DBXJ
January 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
This brings up a good point. I don't know how many people have visited bud canyon in the last week, but you might be in for a surprise. I spent a few hours last weekend unstacking the third waterfall, moving the rocks farther down the canyon. Thus I also created another obstacle (Not too bad) with all the rocks from the waterfall. Have fun.:)

holy crap its Jibs where you been homeslice

and indeed unstack it after you stack it

CashMoney
January 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
:scratch: Whats the point of stacking them? doesn't that take the challenge out of getting over something?

Sasquatch
January 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
holy crap its Jibs where you been homeslice

and indeed unstack it after you stack it

Been out unstackin those trails!:D

CashMoney
February 27th, 2010, 01:15 AM
bump for the noobs

Phill Kenoyer
February 27th, 2010, 10:33 AM
So when I go out wheeling,
1. if I just drive up a "hard spot" with no wheel spin.
2. I backup
3. pull out a bunch of rocks
4. repeat from 1.

How's that?

XJBALLA
February 27th, 2010, 10:50 AM
what happened to all these guys joe the toe dude and them??

Pariah
February 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
They are largely on www.therockgods.com. Something of a spin-off site of Reno4x4.com for more "hardcore" wheelers.

XJBALLA
February 27th, 2010, 11:33 AM
i see, the seem pretty badass for me. hah

xjmonkey
February 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM
joe still shows up on here. hes a cool guy and his rig is SICK