Share |

Thread: Engine swap smog questions

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alex

Engine swap smog questions

I have been thinking of putting a 4.3 into my toy for a while now but i dont know if it is possible to get it smog legal because of the increase in displacement. I have seen people do hemi and LS1 swaps into jeeps that were "50 state legal" but i dont have a clue where to start...the DMV is no help. If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate the input.

I DONT CARE IF YOU "KNOW A GUY THAT DOES SMOG CHECKS" i want it to be; sell it to the DMV inspector legal.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Michael
    IIRC it has to be a newer block of the same type and manufacturer to make it smog legal. I don't think you can just throw a V8 into a spot where a 4 or 6cyl once sat and have it ever be smog legal.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    CHRIS
    Quote Originally Posted by StaleAle View Post
    IIRC it has to be a newer block of the same type and manufacturer to make it smog legal. I don't think you can just throw a V8 into a spot where a 4 or 6cyl once sat and have it ever be smog legal.
    pretty sure he is correct, again IIRC it has to be same make as the truck like if you wanted to put a 2.7 or 3.4 toyota you can proby do that, or just move were theres no smog
    # 989 Lunch Money Racing.. D.A.M offroad lights, Douglas Auto machine, BFGoodrich Tires, Yukon gear and axle, Ruff stuff specialties, ATX wheels, Billet80.com

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alex
    Ive been told that before but i know of at least 3 vehicles that have been swaped and are smog legal.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jeff
    IIRC it just has to be the same year of block or newer. And I believe it has to be "declared" to DMV, just letting them know of the swap and what actually went where. As far as the make goes, I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure you can swap anything to anything.

When you run your smog check, you tell the technician what your engine is out of, and he'll then set the machine up for THAT vehicle rather than what you're actually smogging.

CHECK WITH DMV FIRST THOUGH

This is all just "if I remember correctly..."
    74 Plymouth Trailduster

It's getting closer....

KF7GJL

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by poor boy pulling View Post
    pretty sure he is correct, again IIRC it has to be same make as the truck like if you wanted to put a 2.7 or 3.4 toyota you can proby do that, or just move were theres no smog
    I would love to move to Douglas County but i am to tied to reno.. work, family,etc ..... i would much rather deal with the smog issue than commute25 miles to work every day.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Michael
    If you are going from a 4cyl toy to a 6cyl toy I think you may get away with that. I remember Xtreeme 4X4 did a hemi swap into a TJ. They stated it was legal and it would pass smog.... The reason they used a hemi is because it is supposed to be the same manufacturer i.e. A hemi is dodge and they are both owned by C corp.................. but then........ the clean air act and "memo 1a" comes into the picture. It is basically the government guidelines on what you can do and it gets complicated. Technically you cant do a swap like the one described above but people have and do........... I guess it just comes down to how much your cities DMV is giving a crap that day.

http://www.epa.gov/orcdizux/regs/fuels/cff/memo-1a.txt

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Michael

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Eugene
    X2 on engine equal or newer than the vehicle. Smog must be what the engine met in the original vehicle, and they want me to prove the date the engine was built.

This is because we are in Washoe County.

I installed a 2006 Chevy Colorado 2.8 with 4L65E in an '81 CJ5 including the original Catylitic converter. Since it is OBD 2 all the codes have to clear for a DMV pass. I'm still sorting out vapor recovery so the PCM will fire the Heated Air Sensor.
    It is a sweet 175 Hp 4 cylinder though.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jeremy
    From what I have read and researched. The smog is for the newer of the two vehicles. So putting a 2008 into a 1995 would require it to meet the 2008 standards. Also I believe that it has to be of the same class of vehicle. So you could put a motor in a jeep that came from a Cherokee cause they are considered the same class but not a engine from a Dodge fullsize.....i will see if I can dig up the info I had when I did my motor swap...but then I moved to Fernley and really dont care anymore. Just be glad your not in Cali its even crazier!!!!
    I always have the ability to say something to offend someone somewhere.

It's people like you that make me look smart.

No, don't take it personally. I offend everyone, it's my gift.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jeff
    CA isn't that bad, they at least have very defined rules and make the process easy if you have questions.

My dad lives in Sacramento and has a 1/2 GMC pickup with a FORD 427 engine that is completely legal.
    74 Plymouth Trailduster

It's getting closer....

KF7GJL

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Here is what I know. I caveat everything here that you should really talk to someone that really knows. I really have no idea what I am talking about, but here goes.

The engine that you swap into a vehicle officially has to be an engine that was offered at one time in that vehicle. Further if the new swapped engine came from say an '02 model and you are swapping it into a '97. The entire package now has to meet '02 vehicle smog requirements. Meaning that you likely need to swap out the computer and other items with it to be totally legal (at least for a 50 state legal vehicle).

Now that is only true if the person checking your smog legality really knows what he is doing. Many have no idea and will look at the sticker on your vehicle and as long as the engine looks stock, they will check for passage of smog for that '97 vehicle and if it passes you are good. Same reason DMV is no help, they have no real idea what the rules truely are.

Same holds true for aftermarket goodies. Again, officially as long as the aftermarket goodie has been checked to be legal in your state, you can swap it on no problem. These "legal" goodies come with stickers and/or papers explaining their legality. This is to prove to the smog checker that you are good to go with that part. Unfortunately it comes down to whether your smog checker is on the ball or not. If not, he can give you much grief, or not even bother to check.

With all of that said, it APPEARS the laws in Nevada are a bit less strict than described above, no surprise, that is why I live here.

The actual laws for the State of Nevada are as follows:

NAC 445B.596 Standards for emissions.
    NAC 445B.579 Inspection of vehicle: Devices for emission control required.
    NAC 445B.6125 Certification of vehicle for exemption.
    NAC 445B.580 Inspection of vehicle: Procedure for certain vehicles with model year of 1995 or older and heavy-duty vehicles with model year of 1996 or newer.
    NAC 445B.5805 Inspection of vehicle: Procedure for light-duty vehicles with model year of 1996 or newer.

Probably lots more on this, but there are many, many swaps available for almost every vehicle, and many of them are legal if done right.

Hope that helps.

Wheeler
    If I rent you a room for a dollar a day in Douglas County when your ready to register can you just go the DMV here and not worry about smog, all legal?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Andrew

have a 4.3 in my jeep.

I put a 4.3l in my jeep. Its not as hard as anyone seems to think. The block has to be equal or newer than the truck, and the initial smog check and vehicle inspection needs to be done at the state dmv Emission Test Facility located at the dmv.
    If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you.