Share |

Thread: Which Locker for Chrysler 8.25?

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris

Which Locker for Chrysler 8.25?

Which Locker should I run with for Chrysler 8.25? Its a 1992 Auto and I will only be running 255-85-R16's (33-10.50-16)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Sierra View Post
    Which Locker should I run with for Chrysler 8.25? Its a 1992 Auto and I will only be running 255-85-R16's (33-10.50-16)
    Are you asking which type or which brand?

I think selectable lockers are the best type, auto lockers have some bad habits IMHO. Nothing that you can't learn to compensate for but if you can afford a selectable why settle?

The Yukon Zip lockers look like they might be a good lower cost option. ARB's have a proven track record.
    75 FJ40 w/stuff; 98 UZJ100 kinda stock; 1984 FJ60
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

I support Reno4x4!
    I ran a Powertrax No Slip and it was fantastic with my 31s. I upgraded to the Detroit with 35" tires, and it is great too. It is loud and clunks a lot though. It does exactly what I bought it to do.

Yea, its got a Cummins
    Real Name
    josh
    stay away from the powertrax or any lunchbox locker, with possibly the exception of the Aussie.

Give t-fab a call and see what they got on special. Maybe Yukon makes the Zip locker for that application

Mr Harry Wagner is another person to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Virginians View Post
    Welcome to M Stebel Photography. Now taking tasteful erotic portraits of moderators.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Inc View Post
    I ran a Powertrax No Slip and it was fantastic with my 31s. I upgraded to the Detroit with 35" tires, and it is great too. It is loud and clunks a lot though. It does exactly what I bought it to do.
    That WHAM! when the Detroit unloads wakes you right up doesn't it?
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

I support Reno4x4!
    Quote Originally Posted by GO4X4IT View Post
    stay away from the powertrax or any lunchbox locker, with possibly the exception of the Aussie.

Give t-fab a call and see what they got on special. Maybe Yukon makes the Zip locker for that application

I know a number of guys that ran the Aussie and had them take a dump on them. Aussie is actually considering a stop on making the 8.25 one because of major issues they have. My Powertrax was great with no issues at all and after 20K on it, I took it out and it looked brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    That WHAM! when the Detroit unloads wakes you right up doesn't it?
    Yeah, it can give you a start for sure.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    On my TJ I ran the Detroit in the back and limited slip up front. I liked them but did not drive it in the snow or ice covered roads. I would not mind a Air locker just $$ is not falling out of the trees right now. I have not looked to see what lockers are available for the 8.25 yet.

I will be driving this long distance for trips with a trailer in tow, in all type of road conditions.

Yea, its got a Cummins
    Real Name
    josh
    I know a number of guys that ran the Aussie and had them take a dump on them. Aussie is actually considering a stop on making the 8.25 one because of major issues they have. My Powertrax was great with no issues at all and after 20K on it, I took it out and it looked brand new.
    Havent heard that. With the exception of Kanins incident, I havent heard too many complaints. Not to say you're wrong.
    Im running the Zip Lockers F&R on the Jeep
    Welcome to M Stebel Photography. Now taking tasteful erotic portraits of moderators.

I support Reno4x4!
    On my TJ I ran the Detroit in the back and limited slip up front. I liked them but did not drive it in the snow or ice covered roads. I would not mind a Air locker just $$ is not falling out of the trees right now. I have not looked to see what lockers are available for the 8.25 yet.

I will be driving this long distance for trips with a trailer in tow, in all type of road conditions.

From what I know, the Detroit, Detroit Truetrac, Powertrax No Slip, ARB and Aussie (as of now) are all that's available. I haven't checked on Ected or Yukon ones.

Yea, its got a Cummins
    Real Name
    josh

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    No ected for the 8.25

Chris, one thing to take a side note is yours is a 27spline not a 29 (there are 2 diff kinds)
    :thefinger:

98 Cherokee with some dents

Quote Originally Posted by owenst7 View Post
    Even I could tell you that keeping a MMA fighter as a pet was asking for problems.

Vendor
    Reno, Nevada, United States, Reno, Nevada
    No zips out for the 8.25 as of yet
    -Lisa
    TRENT FABRICATION
    34 HARDY WY.
    SPARKS , NV. 89431
    775-358-JEEP (5337)

www.trentfabrication.com

Yea, its got a Cummins
    Real Name
    josh
    But ARB does.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    I just replaced the axle bearings for the old owner about 2 months ago, but did not think about counting the splines and only half the id tag is left on the cover.

I support Reno4x4!
    I've got some alloy axle shafts for an XJ, if they will work in your jeep (29 spline) then would you be interested in some trade work? I need something done on my heep. They are brand new, you saw them sitting in your shop for a month or two.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    I've got some alloy axle shafts for an XJ, if they will work in your jeep (29 spline) then would you be interested in some trade work? I need something done on my heep. They are brand new, you saw them sitting in your shop for a month or two.
    You did not use them??? Yes might be interested.

I support Reno4x4!
    You did not use them??? Yes might be interested.
    Yeah, the XJ shafts are too short. They are like 1.5" smaller than the KJ 8.25 axle shafts. I sent you a PM about what i need done to my jeep so let me know.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Geoff
    Don't be a puss, weld that pig! I welded my old 8.25 (three rigs ago) ran it on 35's and wheeled the snot out of it. Oh and it was my daily driver too. I never broke a shaft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1998 XJuggy

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-jeep View Post
    Don't be a puss, weld that pig! I welded my old 8.25 (three rigs ago) ran it on 35's and wheeled the snot out of it. Oh and it was my daily driver too. I never broke a shaft.
    And I learned to drive in a truck with a non-syncro transmission, the truck got you from point A to point B just fine. It was a royal PITA to drive but it served the purpose.

Just because something works doesn't make it the best solution.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-jeep View Post
    Hey- you read my mind. I was considering welding my 8.25 .. did it suck on the street??
    :thefinger:

98 Cherokee with some dents

Quote Originally Posted by owenst7 View Post
    Even I could tell you that keeping a MMA fighter as a pet was asking for problems.

I support Reno4x4!
    Quote Originally Posted by GO4X4IT View Post

Mr Harry Wagner is another person to ask
    Josh, I saw online where a guy from Aussie said they do not have a recall at all, none whatsoever and thy are NOT considering taking the 8.25 locker off the market. He said they have never seen one actually broken, other than the teeth being ground down which they guy said is usually due to install error and not under warranty. Anyway, I have known a few guys that have "busted" them, in the sense that they no longer work but aren't broken into pieces but they are apparently not having the mass issues like I said before. I just wanted to correct what I said about them before because I was wrong.