Share |

Thread: herm the overdrive guy?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jordan

herm the overdrive guy?

does anyone know about this guy. i sent him my warn overdrive, he gave me a quote and now he is trying to change the price on me.
    1966 CJ5 225/SM420/D18 D30/D44

Wheeler
    Real Name
    doug
    why did you send it to someone you dont know and you have freinds that can do that work right here
    hope you get it back and not rip off

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jordan
    if he cant cut me a reasonable deal on it thats what i am going to do. he originally quoted me at $193 and that included a shifter linkage and shipping, then he said that while he was putting it together he found that the spider gears need to be replaced which will cost like $300

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    I haven't personally dealt with Herm but I have heard good things about him from others. Sorry that was not your experience.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    mike
    he has been around for a very long time and he is known as "the" dana 18 guy .i know a few people who have used him .but i have never used him myself. what were you having him do? what was his reason for the price change? how much of a price change was it?
    "IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU'VE DONE, YOU'LL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOT"

KF7CSM

look at my horse ,my horse is amazing.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jordan
    i just sent it to him to have him rebuild it and change the planetary gear to 6 spline( i sent him the 6 spline part and he gave me a parts credit for that). he said that while he was putting it back together he found that the hard facing on the spider gears was almost all gone and they would need to be replaced which would cost me even more. i understand that the gears do need to be replaced but i dont think i should have to fork out all of the money seeing as he should have gone through it entirely before he gave me a quote. i am going to talk to him tomorrow and have him send me an entire parts list of what he is replacing and how much it cost. after this i dont think i am going to do any more over the phone deals, from know on everything will be on paper and in writing, so there is no questioning what someone said.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    mike
    it doesn't sound shaddy to me. these things can happen.on any rebuild motor ,tranny ,tc whatever. you may never see the shape and condition of the parts untill a total tear down and cleaning. he may not have seen the true condition of the gears untill latter. unforseen changes can always happen when your dealing with 30 or 40 year old jeep parts like we do. good luck.
    "IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU'VE DONE, YOU'LL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOT"

KF7CSM

look at my horse ,my horse is amazing.

I support Reno4x4!
    Quote Originally Posted by floor ya View Post
    it doesn't sound shaddy to me. these things can happen.on any rebuild motor ,tranny ,tc whatever. you may never see the shape and condition of the parts untill a total tear down and cleaning. he may not have seen the true condition of the gears untill latter. unforseen changes can always happen when your dealing with 30 or 40 year old jeep parts like we do. good luck.
    X2 Usually a price quote is just to do exactly what you've asked for , as a starting point, if they don't find any problems. But you can't expect him to replace parts that you've worn, or you bought worn.

You can:
    1. ask him to finish the job, and replace the gears and pay him what he's asking. You'd then have a good working overdrive with a warranty.

2. ask him to finish the job with the existing parts and take home an overdrive that will break sooner than later. Probably no warranty.

3. pay him for his time so far and take your overdrive back without any work being done.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jordan
    i just talked to him and he expained to me what was going on, so i am going to have him finish it.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kenny
    working in a gearshop I can attest that something of this nature happens, although unfortunate, it does happen. Many times we'll tear down a trans, get a parts list and qoute out, but sometimes you can just miss stuff or you can't even tell until you start putting it together with the new parts. Everyone's human.....the worse part of my job is calling a customer with an add on we didn't catch....soooo doesn't sound like he's being shady

looking at your last post, appears you've reached a resolution....thats good to hear...and $300 doesn't sound like a bad price...figure most gear shops charge close to $80 an hour...and your getting parts too....sounds pretty good to me

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jordan
    yeah we did come to a resolution and it still ended up being a good deal

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Geoff
    Everything I've heard about him is good. And it sounds like you are happy now so that's good to hear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1998 XJuggy

Real Name
    Jack
    I have used Herm before. I took my Trans/Tcase/Overdrive to his house. He works out of his garage. I had some additional parts that were required, and he showed me the defective ones. He is a good, honest, and knowledgable guy. He has some good solutions for old jeeps. I have used him several times with no problems.