Share |

Thread: Smoking car battery positive terminal upon cranking

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Steve

Smoking car battery positive terminal upon cranking

I've had an intermittent starting / charging problem with my Hummer. I think my starter's also going out also, slow to crank even when fully charged batteries. I put my parallel batteries on a charger last night. I just tried starting the rig after I took off the charger. The positive side the battery I had the charger on started to smoke and sizzle. Of course, rig still won't start but then I stopped as it started to smoke and sizzle. Don't want a fire..

What does this mean? over charged that battery? Batteries were installed in 2009.

Thanks,

Web Wheeler
    Try cleaning the posts and terminals.

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by FallonJeeper View Post
    Try cleaning the posts and terminals.
    x2 on that sounds like a bad connection. It could also be a short in the the cable or a short internally on the starter but sounds like the cable ends fighting to try to make a connection to the battery terminal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_Fan_86 View Post
    not sure if ill be there. just bought 100 dollars of captain morgan. So ill probably be passed out in a ditch by then, or being arrested for pissing on a cop car. never can tell. Hope i wake up ontop of the fallon courthouse this time. thatd be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thank you for the replies.

That one positive connector is loose. I took it off and cleaned everything to discover that the nut is mangled and won't go all the way into the battery to tight. I'll replace it tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix the charging issue.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    check all the connections every one that is a little loose will increase the resistance and cause the smoking issues
    Formerly TOOMANYWILLLYS....
    Come see me for any of you paint and bodywork projects, cutom paint, body modifications, and anything else
    1210 service dr. gardnerville 89410
    775-782-6670

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by 93HMC4 View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

That one positive connector is loose. I took it off and cleaned everything to discover that the nut is mangled and won't go all the way into the battery to tight. I'll replace it tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix the charging issue.
    It should definitely cure the charge issue. If there's that much resistance the regulator on your alternator can't sense the batteries state and adjust itself for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_Fan_86 View Post
    not sure if ill be there. just bought 100 dollars of captain morgan. So ill probably be passed out in a ditch by then, or being arrested for pissing on a cop car. never can tell. Hope i wake up ontop of the fallon courthouse this time. thatd be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.