Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Share |

Thread: Where is my Water Pressure Regulator

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt

Where is my Water Pressure Regulator

Ok, so been in this house for about a year and a half now and from day one i couldnt stand my water pressure. Finally got around to checking it and im at a thrilling 40 PSI...just a few miles away with the same gauge i recorded 110PSI!! Sent TMWA a message this weekend and they came out today. The pressure at the street is 160PSI and they recorded my house at 45 on their gauge. So ive been looking for months for this mysterious water pressure regulator and cant find the damn thing. The house is only 2 years old and its on a slab foundation. So its not below the house, its not in the box at the street, its not below the front hose bib (unless its buried), its not visible in the garage (unless its under the water heater), and both of the main water valves are 100% open. Any ideas? Im ready to be able to hose down the driveway and wash my own car again. Ill post some pictures of the locations in a bit.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Just about 40 PSI
    Name:  IMAG1052.jpg
Views: 5824
Size:  81.8 KB

Natural Gas Hot Water Tank
    Gas on Left
    Left insulated pipe is hot water supply (Says HOT on top of tank)
    Right insulated pipe is cold water supply (Says COLD on top of tank)
    Uninsulated pipe going from right to top is the tank supply (I would assume by process of elimination)
    Name:  IMAG1060.jpg
Views: 5841
Size:  67.2 KB

Front Yard Hose Bib
    Name:  IMAG1061.jpg
Views: 5861
Size:  147.9 KB

Left Tube - House water shutoff
    Right Tube - Irrigation shut off
    Box - Irrigation valves
    Name:  IMAG1062.jpg
Views: 6436
Size:  186.1 KB

Street Water In
    Water Meter and Main Water Disconnect
    Name:  IMAG1063.jpg
Views: 5783
Size:  143.6 KB

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Did You check in the attic, it is going to be on the main line coming into the house, before any tees or the water heater. Where evere the water comes into the house, it will be close by. Maybe an access panel under a bathtub or sink?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Prob under the house if it has a crawl. Where water main comes in.

Looks close to this.
    I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!!

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by chevydan3 View Post
    Did You check in the attic, it is going to be on the main line coming into the house, before any tees or the water heater. Where evere the water comes into the house, it will be close by. Maybe an access panel under a bathtub or sink?
    ill have to check. the way they built this house confuses me. one attic access point in the master bathroom at the corner of the house and all the beams are covered in insulation. with work im constantly crawling in crawl spaces and attics but at least i can see the beams for where to step.

i wish i could give a good description on the layout of the house to help. im honestly confused how my piping is even run through the house. the back wall you see in the water tank backs into a side wall in the second bathroom and there is for sure no panel. where the water would i assume go from the water shut off next to the irrigation valves goes straight from there to either up the wall or what i figured was through the slab like most slab houses.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by 85runner View Post
    Prob under the house if it has a crawl. Where water main comes in.

Looks close to this.
    slab foundation, no crawl space

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatt View Post
    slab foundation, no crawl space
    Hmm. Slabs normally have them behind an access panel in the hot water heater stand on in the laundry room. Possibly never put an acres panel and rocked over it.

I would try to locate the builder then the plumber and "if" they are still in bissnes they should be able to tell you.
    I DON'T GIVE A $HIT!!

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by 85runner View Post
    Hmm. Slabs normally have them behind an access panel in the hot water heater stand on in the laundry room. Possibly never put an acres panel and rocked over it.

I would try to locate the builder then the plumber and "if" they are still in bissnes they should be able to tell you.
    contacted the builder. just about as useful as contacting one of the neighbors kids.

you think it would be under the water heater tank? if you notice in the picture above its raised up and looks like there is room where one could be hiding? that would be a simple fix to throw in a cheap access door too.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    just checked behind the washer/dryer. there was an access panel ive never noticed before. however, it only had 2 pipes running through with no regulator to be seen

Mall Crawler from Hell!
    Check up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtywrench
    Some days I wish my mom would have swallowed too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan(Deluxx) View Post
    I'm not sure what the tranny ratios are, but i can leave it in first-low-low and go take a $hit and come outside and it will still be on my driveway crawling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Most Interesting Man in the World
    Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light, except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindoc View Post
    Check up your ass.
    nope, not there

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Bill
    contacted the builder. just about as useful as contacting one of the neighbors kids.
    I was going to suggest contacting the builder too...did you ask the neighbor's kids ???? LOL Actually, you might ask some of your neighbors (Their houses were probably built at the same time by the same builder). They may have had similar problems and found the solution. Or maybe contact KN0CW (master plumber) and he might know the answer.
    KF7QZO

Not a lot...just a bit-'o-sin

Organizing Sunday runs since March of 2011

Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitosin View Post
    I was going to suggest contacting the builder too...did you ask the neighbor's kids ???? LOL Actually, you might ask some of your neighbors (Their houses were probably built at the same time by the same builder). They may have had similar problems and found the solution. Or maybe contact KN0CW (master plumber) and he might know the answer.
    My house was actually the parking lot for the neighborhood for years and the neighbors house was the model. So all the other houses were built 5-8 years ago or so. Mine was built less than 2 years ago. I'm the only house in the neighborhood with a slab. My neighbor (Ron4x4) is having issues too.

KF7YHG
    Real Name
    Juston
    The Cold line on top of the water heater is the cold water supply to the heater. The un-insulated line is a blowoff drain, in case the tank creates too much pressure.

Who was the builder? Hard to believe you cant get someone to dig up a plumbing schematic for you. See if you can find out what plumbing contractor did the house. I may have some connections that could help get the plumbing plan for you.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 1
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 2

R.I.P. Jeepster. New one ton Jeepster project to come.....

Mall Crawler from Hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindoc View Post
    Check up your ass.
    nope, not there
    It must have fallen out somewhere. You better put out an APB so you can find that damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtywrench
    Some days I wish my mom would have swallowed too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan(Deluxx) View Post
    I'm not sure what the tranny ratios are, but i can leave it in first-low-low and go take a $hit and come outside and it will still be on my driveway crawling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Most Interesting Man in the World
    Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light, except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by renojeepster View Post
    The Cold line on top of the water heater is the cold water supply to the heater. The un-insulated line is a blowoff drain, in case the tank creates too much pressure.

Who was the builder? Hard to believe you cant get someone to dig up a plumbing schematic for you. See if you can find out what plumbing contractor did the house. I may have some connections that could help get the plumbing plan for you.
    i forgot who it was, but when we contacted him he seemed all over the place. he said it "should be" 5 feet from the house shut off (next to the irrigation valve) but it cant be seen. so its either in the attic as said before or buried, or he has no idea. i think this was his last house. when it was up for sale he was desperate to get rid of it.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Alan
    Plans for homes , including plumbing are filed withe each city, so if your address is in Reno, I can get a copy of the plans for you. I just need your address. If it is sparks, I will contact my wife and see if she knows anyone there!

AL

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Pete
    Water meter is a combo unit?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \
    Brains are awesome, I wish everyone had one.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by alan71 View Post
    Plans for homes , including plumbing are filed withe each city, so if your address is in Reno, I can get a copy of the plans for you. I just need your address. If it is sparks, I will contact my wife and see if she knows anyone there!

AL
    Thanks! Ill send you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by DaGimp View Post
    Water meter is a combo unit?
    Not from what i can tell, doesnt look like any sort of adjustment on it at all.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Ok, bumping an old thread. Alan (alan71) checked the plans for me a few months ago. Low and behold all the plans were there except for the plumbing. Still, Bailey Dutton is about as useful as a one legged man kickboxing. From what I can tell none of the piping runs through the attic. Any other ideas? The pressure dropped again the other day. It was so bad a couple nights ago the spray feature on the kitchen faucet wouldn't stay on.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    Have you checked the attic yet?
    WTB: Lightweight camper shell for pickup measuring 76" x 60". Open to most types/colors, prefer glass to be intact but not a deal breaker. PM me!

Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Just checked the attic. Nada. Not even a pipe running through it. Looking at things it looks like all the pipes run through the slab or walls. I also just checked the bleed valve on the irrigation system. It has TONS of pressure. So I think i should be safe to assume the regulator is after the irrigation valve.

So what im looking at is

Street Shutoff to Irrigation System (Maybe 30 feet)
    Irrigation System to Irrigation Shutoff (1 foot)
    Irrigation Shutoff to House Shutoff (1/2 foot)
    House Shutoff to Water Heater (10-15 feet)

Somewhere in that 10-15 feet between the shutoff and heater is the regulator. However, only 1 foot of that is outside buried in the dirt, then 99% of the rest runs through the slab or walls. The remaining is inside the walls without any access whatsoever. The last 1% of the remaining comes out of the garage wall and ties right into the water heater without a regulator attached...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Damien
    I just moved into a house here in cold springs and I have the same issues with water pressure. I found my PRV and my buddy removed it and put a piece of pipe in it's place. This did not seem to help. From what I understand our water out here comes from a tank. When the tank is full and the whole neighborhood before me is not using their water I get ok pressure. I am considering a pressure booster pump for my next step in the battle for a decent shower.
    Hard work good, Hard work fine, But first take care of head! Knowledge is everything!

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by thedevl View Post
    I just moved into a house here in cold springs and I have the same issues with water pressure. I found my PRV and my buddy removed it and put a piece of pipe in it's place. This did not seem to help. From what I understand our water out here comes from a tank. When the tank is full and the whole neighborhood before me is not using their water I get ok pressure. I am considering a pressure booster pump for my next step in the battle for a decent shower.
    What I was told by TMWA is that the water comes directly from the street to my house. Looking at the box it would seem to be that way. With the street being 160 and my house pressure being 45 or less seems like its my regulator at fault, wherever the little fawker might be hiding.

FKA "wakeboardwhan"
    Real Name
    Matt
    Here is a quick sketch of the house layout. Use in conjunction with the above photos
    Attached Images Attached Images