Share |

Thread: LS Factory Harness to stand alone How To

Wheeler
    Real Name
    SHELDON

LS Factory Harness to stand alone How To

With my incredibly hectic schedule with work, kidís and wife in school I have been moving along at a drunken snails pace on my chassis. Although this didnít slow me adding to the pile of parts that I have obtainedÖ in my quest to build a nice rig with some cool shat and having like zero budget to boot that has been tough but Iím some how making it happen slowly. Anyways since I work in the Performance industry I have a far amount of contacts at good deals on parts. In my never ending quest to pinch and stretch every dime I can scrape together so build this thing I had a customer send me a stock 1999 6.0 truck engine wiring harness with coil packís and everything. The first thing I did was research. Knowing that this was a DBC and mine would also be DBC this should be a no brainer. I started off on Pirate4x4.com and that went to crap fast with all the B.S. postís in there. My goal in this was to make a stand alone harness out of the factory harness. I found few site that offered a small amount here and there but not everything. I finally found a site www.lt1swap.com this site has there crap together.
    Here is the link to the PCM pin out and what needís to be removed and what getís power
    www.lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm

This is what I started off with Öa stocker harness

I stripped off all the factory tape, convoluted tubing

No the wife wasnít pissed about me using the dining room table as a bench  thatís why I love her
    As I removed the tape and tubing I used small zip ties to loosely hold it together. I also used one before and after when the wiring split out to sensors then used one on that part of the harness too as to hold it together in hopes it didnít completely fall apart lol unfortunately I did not get pics of this but you get the idea. Once I was done with that is was on to getting the harness stripped down.
    First up was to remove the gray plastic coverís on the back of the PCM plugs

Once that was done I moved on to the blue connector to start removing unwanted wires. Like any emission controlís and the transmission harness since I was using a TH400 ( Please do one connector at a time to insure you donít get to far ahead of yourself and they red and blue pieces can be swapped and that will release the smoke in your PCM.) the blue and red part of the PCM connector are easly removed by using a small screw driver or pick. On the side of each connector depress the white tab and gently pull up then move to the other side to remove completely.

Once thatís done itís time to rip and tear lol the pins are easy to remove. On the back of the plug each wire has a number cast into it. ( mine was dirty so I cleaned it up ) just remove the pins not used but following the guidline here www.lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm be sure to follow the color coded parts. The pins are removed by gently lifting the tab and pulling the wires outÖÖitís that easy

Next you will need to cut the all the wire off the plugís GM happily named C100 and C152 and prepare to remove move these too ( make sure to leave the fuse block connector intact for now)

At this point I started fishing out each wire and completely removing it from the harness. There will be time that you will get to the other side of the loom to find a connector with two wire. One black and what ever the other color is. Go ahead and pull the black one out too. This is a ground and will not be needed. Most all of these black wire will go to a common point where 5-6 wires are joined. I just cut it at the heat shrink and moved on.
    Once you have pulled all the useless wire our you should have a pile close to this.

Note the big round connectorÖ..yeah thatís the transmission harnessÖ.yuck
    Another quick note and something that bit me was watch the harness as you go. Make sure to lightly tighten up those zip ties. Since you are removing wire they are now loose and will slide down the wires and screw you upÖlol
    Next up is the factory fuse block. This one is pretty easy. Here is another link to the pin out on it.
    www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm
    note the big purple wire. This is the starter solenoid wire. I removed this from the harness too since itís a buggy I will wire my own off the push button.
    FAMILY FIRST TOY'S LAST ...... GUESS THATS WHY MY JUNK IT'S FINISHED .......BUT IN THE WORK'S

THE YOTA http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...OM-THE-WILLY-S

MY INTRO http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...-a-wheelaholic

Wheeler
    Real Name
    SHELDON
    I pulled the Pink and orange wire out that need power and zip tied them as to keep them together so t can now pull even more wire out of the harness.
    There are also going to be 6 wires that come out of the PCM that you will need like the white tack wire etc. I marked these wires with tape with PCM connector color and number so that I can find them later. Most of these wires came from the PCM to the C100 and C152 plugs and pulled them out near the PCM plug

Right now your harness should look a little something like this. ( insert big smile here )

The wires for the fuse box

A bundle of long sensor wires I wound up to keep nice and neat inc injector harness
    FAMILY FIRST TOY'S LAST ...... GUESS THATS WHY MY JUNK IT'S FINISHED .......BUT IN THE WORK'S

Wheeler
    Real Name
    SHELDON
    And a ground that I pulled out to the middle of the harness thinking it would be better for me towards the back of the engine rather then the front like the factory wanted . And it was the only one left out of a big bundle of wires removed.

Another one

Here is a quick list of parts needed to make your own fuse bock and only a few wires to hook up for a stand alone harness
    First off, the parts you will need to build the fuse block and OBD2 Diagnostic Port.
    OBD2 Diagnostic Port Parts Vendor Part# Qty Needed
    OBD2 Port Plastic Connector, 16 Pin www.mouser.com
    829-12110250 1
    Terminals - for OBD2 port www.mouser.com
    829-12129373 4
    Terminal Lock - secures terminals www.mouser.com
    829-12160437 2

Lamp (for check engine light) www.allelectronics.com
    check lamps/indicators, inventory changes

Fuse Block & Relays Vendor Part# Qty Needed
    Fuse Block Housing kit (terminals included) www.rockauto.com
    85668 1

Relay Socket www.allelectronics.com
    SRLY-2 2
    Relay 30 Amp www.allelectronics.com
    RLY-351 2
    Relay Terminal 14-18 AWG www.mouser.com
    571-42238-2 8

Once you have these parts you can start building the fuse box and relayís to power this beast.
    Here is yet another link on how itís done using the above parts
    www.lt1swap.com/fuseblock_obd2port.html
    so after all that you now need to send off your PCM and have all the crap taken out of it and your off and running.
    Along the way I also found these guys Youtube video that Seemed to Help and have a visual before jumping in both feet first
    http://www.youtube.com/user/restomod.../2/UmgSe8KrlIg

well thatís it. I hope this helps everyone out and I hope people use this. it saves you around $500.00 on a harness that you can do for free screwing around at home in a few hours while watching tvÖ..lol
    I figure that once I had my harness in I would need to shorten a few things and possibly lengthen a few things also. So me personally I kept the wires that I pulled out for possible use later

KF7YHG
    Real Name
    Juston
    Nice job! definitely worth the effort. I did a Painless stand alone harness for my CMFI 4.3, and a Painless chassis harness, and spent well over $1,500 in wiring on my Jeepster.

Awesome write up!
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 1
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 2

R.I.P. Jeepster. New one ton Jeepster project to come.....

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    great write up sheldon thanks for sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_Fan_86 View Post
    not sure if ill be there. just bought 100 dollars of captain morgan. So ill probably be passed out in a ditch by then, or being arrested for pissing on a cop car. never can tell. Hope i wake up ontop of the fallon courthouse this time. thatd be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    SHELDON
    THANK YOU GUY'S IT WAS JUST A LIL SOMETHING I THREW TOGETHER

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jeremy
    If you raise it right and show your harness love, it will stand alone when the time comes....Yeah were was this write up when I did my jeep. Sheesh thanks man. Awesome write up, you have way more patience than me. I got burned out just trying to strip all the tpe off and made a phone call and 300 bucks and five days later I plugged my new harness in.
    I always have the ability to say something to offend someone somewhere.

It's people like you that make me look smart.

No, don't take it personally. I offend everyone, it's my gift.