Share |

Thread: Water pump gasket verses Rtv sealant

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike

Water pump gasket verses Rtv sealant

What's the opinion on installing water pump with gasket only, gasket with combo of Rtv or another sealer, or just Rtv or another sealant??? I just replaced my water pump on jeep 4.0 and didn't do a good job because the gasket is leaking so I want to make sure I do this right the second time around. I only used the gasket that came with the pump, surface was cleaned but in thinking I went wrong and possibly over torqued it. Would love to hear everybody's opinion on the best route to take on the reinstall.

Mike

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    I've never done one on a jeep but I use gasgacinch all the time at work. http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFMQ8gIwAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_Fan_86 View Post
    not sure if ill be there. just bought 100 dollars of captain morgan. So ill probably be passed out in a ditch by then, or being arrested for pissing on a cop car. never can tell. Hope i wake up ontop of the fallon courthouse this time. thatd be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

Say What Again!!!
    Real Name
    Eric
    Gasgacinch FTW
    www.DrSmash.com
    Custom 4x4's,Hot Rods 2 wheels and 4.
    6369 Hwy 50 east #3 Carson City ,NV 884-4947 (4x4s)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Never heard of that before, is it applied tithe gasket, one side, both sides???

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by rubicontaxi View Post
    Never heard of that before, is it applied tithe gasket, one side, both sides???
    It says on the can. I do it on both sides of the gasket depending on what I'm doing
    not sure if ill be there. just bought 100 dollars of captain morgan. So ill probably be passed out in a ditch by then, or being arrested for pissing on a cop car. never can tell. Hope i wake up ontop of the fallon courthouse this time. thatd be cool.
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    I piss excellence.

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    I've never done one on a jeep but I use gasgacinch all the time at work. http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFMQ8gIwAA
    Is that pretty much the same stuff as Permatex 3, or am I missing out on something?
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    I think we have already established that you are a cheap a$# and you have a lot more skills than money......

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Luke
    use the orange colored sealant forget the gasket I found that jeeps run warm especially the 4lt hd I had one in my grand cherokee used the orange (sorry dont remember the name) only and it worked great works on sealing the pumkin also just opinion.
    GOD BLESS TEXAS

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by owenst7 View Post
    Is that pretty much the same stuff as Permatex 3, or am I missing out on something?
    not sure but I think permatex makes it
    I piss excellence.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Luke
    I think so same one that makes the black stuff now that I think off it permatex makes it.
    GOD BLESS TEXAS

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jason
    Last few water pumps I have done I used the regular permatex grey gasket maker. Make sure you are not over doing it on silicone, you want a really thin coat all the way on the block as well as the water pump. Thanks for sharing the gasgacinch guys, I will give that a try. Best stuff I ever used came from the Ford dealership my Dad was working at, now I just use the regular grey stuff at Autozone and have no leaks so far.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    I 2nd ditching the gasket and just using RTV. Use it sparingly but get it completely covered on both sides. You should be good to go.

My last one I went through 2 gaskets and after wasting a bunch of coolant, the RTV finally got things sealled up.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    CHRIS
    damn near any silicon will do the job if prepped right, you dont wanna over do it and have ropes in your coolant, like others said a light film all the way around the surface. basically filling all the voids, pits, and low spots. i assembled my entire toyota case (6 different mating surfaces including the adapter) with a tube of victor reinz vj8 engine silicone and i dont have a drop out of them. thats about all i use at work as well
    # 989 Lunch Money Racing.. D.A.M offroad lights, Douglas Auto machine, BFGoodrich Tires, Yukon gear and axle, Ruff stuff specialties, ATX wheels, Billet80.com

Wheeler
    ANY gasket sealer will work on this application as long as you use your head. If you glob the crap on there as thick as possible, you are going to have issues. A thin schmear is all that is required to dress a gasket.

Do not ditch the gasket. It is there for a reason and it will by far outlast any rubberized goo you place between your parts. If you want to do it right the first time, here are a few tips.

Lightly apply said goo to both sides of gasket

install part with gasket and lightly , note lightly here...., torque the fasteners

Go have lunch, play a few video games, or drink a few beers if your old enough to give the goo time to set. Personally, i allow it to set overnight, but that is just me. If you dont let it set, you run the risk of the gasket slipping and not sealing correctly

after is has set, torque the fasteners to their required torque.

As for goo of choice, coming form a dirt bike background, i've always used Hylomar non hardening anaerobic sealer. Expensive, but this stuff works and any waste will not clog crap in your engine. My second go to goo is Loktite 518, cheaper than Hylomar, but just as good in some applicaions

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    I use "right stuff" seems to work great
    1975 J20 Jeep FI454/ th400/203/205 /118 wheelbase. SOA, OBA, 42" Pitbulls beadlocked on tons

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Allen
    Wow lots of options here My 2 cents worth.. The first thing no matter what you use you MUST have a clean surface to work on ie grease,oil,dirt,water,chemical free surface that includes the gasket as well as your fingers. I use brake cleaner (NOT Carb cleaner it leaves a chemical resadue) to clean everything including my fingers. Then I will apply a small dab on my finger and apply a thin film to the metal pice where the gasket goes, do the same to the other side. Tighten bolts or nuts to manufacture specs, DON'T OVER TORK. If you can let it sit overnight do so if not wait as log as you can before exposing it to fluids or heat. I use ULTRA BLACK for all my builds, the stuff is amazing I have stopped oil leaks on a cracked oil pan with this stuff.

KF7YHG
    Real Name
    Juston
    I don't use gaskets for anything unless the gasket thickness is critical for clearances. I use copper RTV for everything and call it good.

Clean surfaces, lightly coat to both surfaces with RTV, lightly assemble parts, let set 30min+, torque to spec.
    Juston
    MRANN #519P

04 WJ, 4.7H.O., K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Super 40, 231 T-Case swap w/ 32spline S.Y.E., Vari-Lock Differentials, 5.5" Iron Rock Coils, Clayton's Long Arms, Bilsteins, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Tie Rod and Drag Link flip, 315/75R16 BFG KM2's, IRO rocksliders, Gas tank raised 6", 1600watts of Kickin Ass Alpine Stereo.
    Link:
    '04 WJ Build Thread

Links:
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 1
    '70 Jeepster Build Part 2

R.I.P. Jeepster. New one ton Jeepster project to come.....

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Damien
    I you have true surfaces, Stay away from silicon as much as possible. If you ever have to do it again, silicon makes for a hard clean up. If tour surfaces are all pitted or have obvious low spots you can use silicon sparingly. I like to apply it to my finger(Not the parts) then firmly slide my finger across the surface to apply just enough to fill in such voids. The pump it's self should be nice and true as it is new. DO NOT use silicon on the pump side of the gasket. If you feel it necessary apply some Gasgasinch to the pump and pump side of gasket, let dry, and then stick gasket to pump. Even this is not necessary but it does keep the gasket in place so it does not slip or bend during installation. I have been doing things this way for years and have NEVER had a comeback for a leaking gasket that I have installed. In all actuality there is no need for anything but a dry gasket if your surfaces are true and clean. The material in the gasket slightly compresses and then the side that touches liquid slightly swells as the liquid absorbs into it. This slight swelling( and I'm talking maybe 100,000th of an inch here so don't go telling me how you have never seen it) creates the seal. If you do need silicon, remember this. If you see it squish out of the side of the gasket while torquing the part down, you have used to much. The bead you see around the outside will be the same size on the inside and you do not want that bead breaking loose and traveling through your system. It can clog passages, hold the Tstat open, or even destroy your pump if it gets caught up in the impeller.
    Hard work good, Hard work fine, But first take care of head! Knowledge is everything!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kenny
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I use "right stuff" seems to work great
    it will definatlely seal, but, we have a rule of thumb at work, "if you don't want it leaking OR COMING OFF, use right stuff".............its almost 'too good' for some things..........yes, I've used right stuff on water pumps....just not mine