Share |

Thread: Pistol Serial Number-Check Owner

Minister - KF7JKO
    Real Name
    Jim

Pistol Serial Number-Check Owner

Is there a web site to check the ownership of a gun if you have the number?

I have one my mother bought me many years ago, and I wanted to see if she put it in my name or not so I can update my records.

Thanks,
    Jim
    CJ8 Build
    Street2Mud Gallery
    Street2Mud Forum

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    RJ
    None that I know of (that's available to public). It "should" be in her name because the paperwork she fills out when purchasing has a "check mark" that the gun isn't for someone else... I may be wrong but I think it's illegal to buy a gun for someone else.

So, I'd assume it's in her name...
    Go Big or Go Home

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ryan
    In Washoe county there's no mandatory registry for firearms of any kind. There is also no "official" federal registry for firearms of any kind. The only record of your firearm purchases is supposed to be the ATF form 4473 that you filled out when the background check was completed.

The dealer holds on to these forms for a mandatory 20 years, but they are considered "private documents" and legally cannot be released to any entity other than a law enforcement agency with the proper paperwork.

So no....there's no website to look at that will tell you whose name a firearm is in, because formally speaking firearms sold in most places in the US aren't listed in anyone's name at all.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Gary
    You don't want your name on any gun if you can help it. The ATF(govt) wants to track all purchases but we strive for anonymity. Nevada has no gun owner ID and that's the way it should be. All this gun owner tracking and permts etc started basically when Kennedy was assasinated.
    Gary D.
    The PIVOT KING
    www.pivotking.com
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...OKER150pix.jpg

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsonre View Post
    In Washoe county there's no mandatory registry for firearms of any kind. There is also no "official" federal registry for firearms of any kind. The only record of your firearm purchases is supposed to be the ATF form 4473 that you filled out when the background check was completed, which in most cases is legally required to be destroyed after a certain elapsed period of time (180 days IIRC).

So no....there's no website to look at that will tell you whose name a firearm is in, because formally speaking firearms sold in most places in the US aren't listed in anyone's name at all.
    What's required to be destroyed?? The 4473?? WRONG and don't ever get the idea that the ATF turns its head after you purchase a gun. The dealer is REQUIRED to keep all records of firearms transaction ad infinitum and turn them over to the ATF if and when he goes out of business or ceases to do business. I just had to give all my 4473 forms and my A&D books to the ATF about two months ago. If he refuses or fails to give up his records he could be in for sme real nasty fines and/or jail time. True there are no records kept by the state/county/city/village/burrow/hole in the wall etc.
    Gary D.
    The PIVOT KING
    www.pivotking.com

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIPGRAVER View Post
    What's required to be destroyed?? The 4473?? WRONG and don't ever get the idea that the ATF turns its head after you purchase a gun. The dealer is REQUIRED to keep all records of firearms transaction ad infinitum and turn them over to the ATF if and when he goes out of business or ceases to do business. I just had to give all my 4473 forms and my A&D books to the ATF about two months ago. If he refuses or fails to give up his records he could be in for sme real nasty fines and/or jail time. True there are no records kept by the state/county/city/village/burrow/hole in the wall etc.

Yep. You're right. I corrected myself. The dealer is required to keep the form for 20 years and turn it over to the ATF if he goes out of business.

Minister - KF7JKO
    Real Name
    Jim
    Agreed Gary, it was the same in Fla when those went out of business. This was in N.C. & I was just thinking about it as I was sitting here/couldn't remember. But if memory serves, when we bought it (gift) I was there and I think my name is on it, just wondering.

Thanks,
    Jim
    CJ8 Build
    Street2Mud Gallery
    Street2Mud Forum

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Darren
    What records does Las Vegas keep? If I remember correctly you have to register ownership of pistols there.

I piss excellence.
    Real Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by zim View Post
    What records does Las Vegas keep? If I remember correctly you have to register ownership of pistols there.
    Ya within 72 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge_Fan_86 View Post
    not sure if ill be there. just bought 100 dollars of captain morgan. So ill probably be passed out in a ditch by then, or being arrested for pissing on a cop car. never can tell. Hope i wake up ontop of the fallon courthouse this time. thatd be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    RJ
    Quote Originally Posted by zim View Post
    If I remember correctly, all handguns are required to be registered in Clark County. It's an old grand fathered in law. But they're supposed to have all details on a particular handgun such as model, serial, owner, date of registration, etc.
    Go Big or Go Home

Minister - KF7JKO
    Real Name
    Jim
    That's good to know for future.

I'm in Churchill county.
    CJ8 Build
    Street2Mud Gallery
    Street2Mud Forum

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Gary
    Yeah that's true Clark County is the hell hole that is above the law. Preemption means nothing to those liberals asshats.
    Gary D.
    The PIVOT KING
    www.pivotking.com

Minister - KF7JKO
    Real Name
    Jim
    Gary, do they try to hassle you for OCing a weapon?
    CJ8 Build
    Street2Mud Gallery
    Street2Mud Forum

I support Reno4x4!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    That's good to know for future.

I'm in Churchill county.
    so pretty much unless ur in clark county (or is it the vegas metro area only?) possesion is the proof of ownership in nevada. Unless a gun is possibly stolen or you are prohibited by law from possession, its urs. A private web data base is out there for claimed stolen guns but its only good if the victim adds a listing. We can't look at NCIC. If one comes into a gun and wants to know if its 'clean' this is an area of concern. Once LE knows you have something that is not clean, you lose it and likely face charges. FFL based transactions are cleaner, but then you are the 'papered' owner for ever, even if you legally sell it years later. So how can we be sure a FTF deal is a clean gun? We can;t really just call the cops to find out.

Another idea: Some people like to post newspaper for sale ads listing some guns, then when anyone calls, sorry, all gone. Then you save the paper so show you 'sold' it years ago, but when in reality its in ur safe, although giving false info to the po po is risky. And who reads newspapers anymore? LOL

Unfortunately, FTF transactions, while still legal here, may be a thing of the past if certain politicians (and the MSM) have their way. Also, many owners list guns on a home owners policy so that is one private paper source. Just because its insured doesn't mean you own it.

So if you fit all the right answers, its urs to own, possess or transfer/sell. good luck!
    Never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be

<a href=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/RARECJ8/rareCJ8.jpg target=_blank>http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...J8/rareCJ8.jpg</a>
    www.hillsangels4x4.com
    Life Member Blue Ribbon Coalition
    Cal 4 Wheel
    ECV #3691
    BOD Friends Of Black Rock/High Rock www.blackrockdesert.org

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    RJ
    Quote Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
    So how can we be sure a FTF deal is a clean gun? We can;t really just call the cops to find out.
    Exactly. I've done this, btw. Bought a gun, took it to the police to have them run the numbers. I also try to have a bill of sale for every gun I've ever sold/purchased. Because even though there is no known "system" tracking who owns what gun, I'd like to have the tracability in case a gun i own (or owned) was used in a crime, and someone knocks on my door....I have record/proof it wasnt me. Better safe than sorry.
    Go Big or Go Home