Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Share |

Thread: need suggestions for axle rebuild

KG7JEQ
    Real Name
    Don
    Just spoke with Carl Jantz at Jantz Engineering and purchased the J4 Dana 44 conversion http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=jana_k4 this thing is pure genius. the kit is 290.00 plus shipping and it turns the standard dana 44 into a larger and stronger JK D44. this conversion along with stronger Chrome molly axels are just what the doctor ordered. i hope to back up and running sometime next week.

thanks to all for their suggestions.

1998 TJ 4.0, on 35" BFG Km2's, MRW beadlocks. Rear: GenRight 4 Link trussed, Jana K4 hybrid (dana tj44 with JK thick cut gears) locked with 456's, Yukon 4340 chromoly axles. Front: Rubicon Express 3.5" short arm. TeraFlex 4:1 kit, a Smittybuilt winch, Powertank and lot's of other Junk.

2. The Following 2 Users Like twich55's Post:

CashMoney (June 15th, 2012), Dirty Harry (June 15th, 2012)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    Cool! Props to Will for the great suggestion.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Cool! Props to Will for the great suggestion.
    Thanks. Just trying to pay it forward.
    How did we ever survive before most politicians were attorneys?

The backbone of the progressive power structure is the broken family, for only a child raised without benefit of a home life would be so susceptible to being lead against the laws of nature.

Some people are as useful as a football bat.

5. The Following User Likes WILLD420's Post:

twich55 (June 15th, 2012)

KG7JEQ
    Real Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by WILLD420 View Post
    Thanks. Just trying to pay it forward.
    Will-
    nice catch off the Pirate 4X4 Forum!

thanks a lot......

1998 TJ 4.0, on 35" BFG Km2's, MRW beadlocks. Rear: GenRight 4 Link trussed, Jana K4 hybrid (dana tj44 with JK thick cut gears) locked with 456's, Yukon 4340 chromoly axles. Front: Rubicon Express 3.5" short arm. TeraFlex 4:1 kit, a Smittybuilt winch, Powertank and lot's of other Junk.

Wheeler
    Update us on how the Jana44 kit works out. I started a thread about the Jana54 kit for my hp 44 front and recieved some mixed opinions. I would like to actually hear from some one that has some real life experience with one of these kits.
    You lucked out with the Jana44 kit being that you already have the high speed carrier. That is why I haven't done it for my hp44 since I have and arb for 3.93 and up.

Good luck getting it back on the trails.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kenny
    Just wanted to give some honest feedback on this:
    We ultimately ended up with this axle at Bayshore. I think I speak for Don (Twitch) and myself, that this kit, while on paper seems like a great idea, it is kinda a pain in the ass. We found an issue with their idea of pinion preloading, and their kit being wrong. A call to Jantz and they did admit they knew about it, and have since corrected the kits, but really, he only purchased it a month or so ago. Their suggestion was to stack up to 6 shims. This would have worked in a pinch, but, myself and the builder didn't agree, and we found that a ford 9" solid spacer kit could be modified to work, and is something we'd stand behind. (In the suppliers defense, he offered to send out the correct spacer kit next day air, but, I wanted to keep a mechanic moving forward)

The seal is of question as well, and while Jantz offered some advice, neither option was 'great', but we were told "it's just gotta be this way". Again, we found that the correct generation Dana 60 pinion seal will work correctly.

Maybe I'm being critical, I'm more of an oem design type guy, and maybe they are in their 'testing' phase of this, but, I kinda feel like we did most the hard work for them.

I will compliment their customer service, and, they returned a phone call pretty promptly, and did give us a direction to go. All in all, when it is complete, should be a stout rearend.
    Last edited by Special K; August 1st, 2012 at 09:11 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Like Special K's Post:

CashMoney (August 1st, 2012), Dirty Harry (August 1st, 2012), renojeepster (August 1st, 2012)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    Thanks for the feedback Kenny! Rarely to we get to hear this part of the story. Usually parts are order and that is the end of it.

KG7JEQ
    Real Name
    Don
    ok. for my 2.5 cents: the kit while being a great idea is lacking somewhat in execution, just like Kenny explained (see above) i also feel it's way too complicated for the avarage do -it -youself type to accomplish at home. also so far i am into this thing in excess of 1,000 bucks and have not seen the bill from bayshore yet. for that i got a JK conversion Kit: which is just shims, spacers, JK ring gear bolts, bearings, yoke, and the all important instruction booklet.
    new chromoly axles from yukon (could not get Superior's) new 456 gears front and rear and associated bearings and seals.

overall not a good bang for the buck and i'm kind of disgusted with myself for not just taking Kenny's advice in the first place and rebulding the axle with the stock components. i knew better but was distracted by the bright shinny new technology.

that being said i should have one Kick-Ass dana 44 (jana K4) when all is said and done.

UPDATE:
    so i have added everything up on this axle rebuild and i'm pushing 2 grand, definently not worth the money, but it should last me a while. lesson learned next time take it to bayshore truck equipment, drop it off come back in a week or so, pay bill, it's that easy. so it's six weeks later and i am 2 grand poorer and have had one of the most frusterating experiances of my life.

P.S. of course there is more to this story.... and Jantz Engineering was not a bad outfit to deal with, Carl Jantz is a real nice guy who gets an A+ for creativity and coming up with a very unique design idea. However, the execution of the design has some bugs that need working out and if your not Kenny or working at Bayshore this is not the project on which to cut your teeth.
    Last edited by twich55; August 2nd, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: update