Thread: Inventory (Spares, etc...)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Travis

Inventory (Spares, etc...)

Well, there was a good idea posted in the Bronco Canyon thread about getting your rig ready to avoid the problems we had on the Steve's Loop run. I went out last night and figuerd out what I needed to fix, and also took inventory of what tools/spares, etc I have in my rig. Turns out the list is pretty long.

Spares:

drivers and passengers axle shaft assembly (inner/outer/hub - 260 joints)
    short side rear shaft (D44)
    water pump
    radiator hoses (top/bottom)
    serpentine belt
    ball joints (upper/lower)
    full stock steering (drag link, tie rod, tre's)
    driveshaft u-joint
    ujoint straps & bolts
    fuel injector (I dont really know why, but I have a spare so why not?)
    front/rear brake lines (old stock ones)
    full size spare
    vacuum line (I used to have a disconnect front end)

Tools:

basic socket set
    36mm hub socket
    13mm 12pt for hub
    7mm allen for calipers
    inner/outer torx sets
    breaker bar
    pry bar thing

Recovery:

60" Hi-Lift
    Strap
    Shovel
    Axe
    Various Clevises
    Come-along (I don't always bring it)
    Various 2x4's & 2x6's
    Loading ramp sand ladders (I leave them home for trips like Rubicon)

Fluids:

5 gallons Gas
    1 Qt gear oil
    1 Qt motor oil
    5 Gallons water (only brought on longer trips)

What I plan to add:

spare CPS
    More oil (for longer trips)
    Bigger pry bar
    Hammer
    Better selection of wrenches (metric)
    Good set of pliers/vise grips
    Basic tire repair stuff
    Selection of nuts/bolts for repair
    Couple of axle u-bolts
    Air source - probably CO2
    Driveshaft ? (if I can find a cheap stock front that will fit)
    Hose clamps
    Brake Fluid
    Power steering fluid
    stop leak

The water I carry on my longer trips is suitable for drinking, but I usually carry a half gallon a day (minimum) drinking water as well.

I doubt that all of this stuff is necessary on every run, but you never know when you are going to need something, and it seems that you always need the thing you left behind (7mm allen wrench!)

No wonder my rear springs are sagging...

Travis

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebaru
    pry bar thing

That will be mine!
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    MR.ROCKAPE SIR!!!
    Cool looks like you have a good selection, if it doesnt fit in my pockets (or Throttle boys rig) it doesnt go.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Jeez Zebaru why don't you just tow a spare xj behind you Just kidding Go prepared. Good call on the 7mm allen, I'm going to the garage right now.
    Do you like Fish Sticks?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Eric
    I think its a good idea to go over what you carry but like you said, sometimes you don't need to carry everything for a trail ride close to home. Worse case you can leave the rig and come back the next day. Not that I'm recommending that, but you should carry what is most likely to be needed.

Now on the longer trips like Strawberry/Deer Valley, Rubicon, and especially Dusy Ershim, we will need to take a lot more. Some of the bigger items on those trips we could share. For example, I don't think everyone needs to carry a spare front driveshaft, but we should at least have one spare DS for each type of vehicle there. I'm concerned with Dusy the most since its the longest trail and most remote. I wish Tom or Zebaru would spring for an on-board welder!
    2000 XJ linked and locked on 37's www.ericsxj.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    Quote Originally Posted by EricsXJ
    I think its a good idea to go over what you carry but like you said, sometimes you don't need to carry everything for a trail ride close to home. Worse case you can leave the rig and come back the next day. Not that I'm recommending that, but you should carry what is most likely to be needed.

Now on the longer trips like Strawberry/Deer Valley, Rubicon, and especially Dusy Ershim, we will need to take a lot more. Some of the bigger items on those trips we could share. For example, I don't think everyone needs to carry a spare front driveshaft, but we should at least have one spare DS for each type of vehicle there. I'm concerned with Dusy the most since its the longest trail and most remote. I wish Tom or Zebaru would spring for an on-board welder!
    for about a $100 bucks you can make your own OBW !!
    AIR SIERRA SWALLOWS.........WATER!!!!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Travis
    I know it sounds like a lot, but most of that stuff fits in a little box, and the bigger stuff fits very well right behind the rear seat in front of the spare tire. Realize that I am still probably lighter than if I simply were carrying an adult passenger. The reason this stuff got put together is that I used to wheel alone alot - and walking home usually isn't a good option.

My 'heavy' spares are going to get prioritized. I doubt I need a spare D44 shaft. When I move up to front 297 shafts (sitting in my garage now), the spare front shafts will probably stay home on the short runs as well. Although I don't have a spare driveline yet, if I find one, it would stay home most of the time as well. For sure on the 'rock' runs, there is no need for my ramp sand ladders. Playing it smart, I could probably free up a hundred pounds or so. And like Eric said, so long as I am close to home, the worst case scenario is a return trip the next day.

I have considered an on board welder, but the off the shelf ones are pricey, and the home made ones will require a little more research for me. Most of the setups I have seen require running another alternator or similar.

We might consider putting a group check list together for the runs that are farther away.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebaru
    We might consider putting a group check list together for the runs that are farther away.
    Yes I'm sure we'll do this. We could start with the Strawberry/Deer Valley trip in May for those who are going. It'll take more planning and preparation since it involves camping. After Bronco Canyon that run is where my focus will be. I am already looking forward to it.
    2000 XJ linked and locked on 37's www.ericsxj.com