Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Photo Contest Rules

error operator
    Real Name
    Roach

Monthly Photo Contest Rules

Here is my take on how the photo contests should be structured:

• Entry must be an original photo - not something you found on the internet.
    • The theme is established at the beginning of the month by the previous winner.
    • The deadline for entry is the 25th of the month.
    • Only one entry per person.
    • Submitted photos must be captured after the date the announcement
    • No changing photos once you've entered.
    • The entry should (but is not required to) list EXIF. (date, time, focal length, aperture, etc...)
    • The poll is posted after the 25th and runs until the end of the month.
    • No extensive photoshop work, retouching is okay, but no chopping. and please describe any editing done.
    • Family friendly contest. (no g-string or bikini themes)

Additional Resources:
    Jeffrey's EFIX Reader (Use to view a photos EXIF information)
    Last edited by Roach; January 24th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Points of discussion:

-I would think that the deadline should be somewhere in the last week of the month. That leaves several days for voting and more time for planning a composition.

-As far as the date of photo capture goes, it's probably a good rule. It would keep some avid photographer with an extensive collection from gaining an advantage. It also makes you work at it.

Perhaps the monthly winner could reiterate the rules with any modifications at the start of the next month's thread.

I've thought that a topic of "what's in your archive" may be an interesting contest.
    And the watchman told... and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.
    . 2 Kings 9:20

I don't worry about my ego, so long as my camera is bigger than my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17555839@N03/

My website:
    http://www.jonathanblakephotography.com

error operator
    Real Name
    Roach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    -I would think that the deadline should be somewhere in the last week of the month. That leaves several days for voting and more time for planning a composition.
    Agreed.
    I've thought that a topic of "what's in your archive" may be an interesting contest.
    Start one!

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach™ View Post
    Agreed.

Start one!
    If I ever win one of these things. I'm at a disadvantage. I keep getting my compositions done after the deadline. I use film mostly.
    And the watchman told... and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.

My website:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kris

Perhaps the monthly winner could reiterate the rules with any modifications at the start of the next month's thread.
    x2! The rules should be posted with each month's contest.
    -Kris KF7KEK

It's not me. The rest of the world is insane.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brian

digital tampering

Nature images cannot be manipulated in any way. Adding framing, lettering, etc. is considered manipulation (it wasn’t there when the
    picture was taken). my2cents
    "A SWISS WATCH DON'T RUN ON HORSE POWER"

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Maciej
    I dont lake frames but many times that add to the pictures so i dont see anything wrong with them.

How about watermarks? I'm adding "lettering" to most of my pictures after one of them was stolen and ilegaly used to advertise.
    2000 Jeep TJ

www.stebel.com.pl

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Stebel View Post
    I dont lake frames but many times that add to the pictures so i dont see anything wrong with them.

How about watermarks? I'm adding "lettering" to most of my pictures after one of them was stolen and ilegaly used to advertise.
    If you have commercial intent for a shot you probably shouldn't be entering it in a local photo contest.

My website:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    I frequent many photo sights that have many different rules when it comes to the contest. When I came up with the idea of this contest, I had pictured it differently (no pun intended).
    The idea behind frames is to display a photograph as it was hung on a wall. Presentation is key when it comes to display or a contest. It's like a chef properly plating (presentation) his meal he would not leave it in the cooking vessel for judging. As Stebel said frames can add to a photo, I think the same way, can add or take away, properly matting and framing a photo is key.

How about ditch the rules and monthly subjects, and have a "share and pick" monthly thread. The people who are voting can decide on what they like best

Only rule is to get it in on time.

Comments?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    I think we would have more participation if we do away with the rules and monthly picked subject.

I guess only rules would be,

1. Taken within the month of contest (to encourage people to get out and enjoy).

2. No photochoping, (IE: adding something or removing)

3. Get photo in by the 20Th of the month.

Judging, as brought up a while back we could have a preliminary judging. Pick out the best then have a final judgment.

What do you all think?
    Last edited by dharris; March 10th, 2009 at 08:15 AM.

Web Wheeler
    As a film junkie, I prefer the deadline date of the 25th. That still leaves plenty of time for voting. Most times there's a clear winner after the first two days. Some of my entries (including this month) are 4X5 color slide film that takes about 10 days to get processed. I could just use the D200 but film is more fun.

Just my $0.02

My website:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    As a film junkie, I prefer the deadline date of the 25th. That still leaves plenty of time for voting. Most times there's a clear winner after the first two days. Some of my entries (including this month) are 4X5 color slide film that takes about 10 days to get processed. I could just use the D200 but film is more fun.

Just my $0.02
    25th is fine with me, have no problem with that. If we go to the new rule of no declared subjects. This should make it easy on extending a decalred winner by the 5th of fallowing month.

Comments?

Web Wheeler
    OK. I think I see what you're getting at. You want the subject / style to be unlimited. The winner won't pick the subject for the following month.

Is that correct? I'm OK with whatever everyone else wants. Perhaps a poll?

My website:

Wheeler
    I would love to get in on this, but can't figure out how to post up pictures. I tried to get a picture of my rig on the site and it failed every time. I'm no computer expert so be nice! Thanks.

Web Wheeler
    So will the new rules be a free for all in the photo subject category? Any type of picture of any subject? And the only other rules are no adding or removing from the pic? As far as adding and taking away, What about burning and dodging? Those are both 2 things that can be done to film and aren't really photoshop, at least to me, so it'd be nice to be able to add that to the contest in my eyes. I just like seeing other people's ideas and pics so if we ditch the rules all together I am cool with that too. Either way is fine and maybe a poll would be a good idea.

Web Wheeler
    Just an idea...

Keep the winner as the declarant of the following contest. He will have the option to call for unlimited or specific subject as well as the level of Photoshop modification.

My website:

Web Wheeler
    Just an idea...

Keep the winner as the declarant of the following contest. He will have the option to call for unlimited or specific subject as well as the level of Photoshop modification.
    I like that idea.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Off Road Innovations of McCarran , NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Inc View Post
    So will the new rules be a free for all in the photo subject category? Any type of picture of any subject? And the only other rules are no adding or removing from the pic? As far as adding and taking away, What about burning and dodging? Those are both 2 things that can be done to film and aren't really photoshop, at least to me, so it'd be nice to be able to add that to the contest in my eyes. I just like seeing other people's ideas and pics so if we ditch the rules all together I am cool with that too. Either way is fine and maybe a poll would be a good idea.
    Dodging and burning cn be done successfully in photoshop. As for people who don't believe in that, Ansel Adams was the master at it.

What I meant buy no adding or taking aways was, fake sky taking away or adding trees. These are just examples
    Off Road Innovations of Reno/Sparks
    Your Complete Off Road/Fabrication Store
    625 Spice Islands Dr. Suite B
    Sparks NV, 89431
    775-322-0820
    Email: Contact Web: ORI Website Myspace: Myspace FB: Facebook

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road Innovations View Post
    Dodging and burning cn be done successfully in photoshop. As for people who don't believe in that, Ansel Adams was the master at it.

What I meant buy no adding or taking aways was, fake sky taking away or adding trees. These are just examples
    I know dodging and burning are done post photo and people like Ansel Adams were masters of it like you say, and he did it through film. What I was saying was since it can be done with film, it isn't like digitally adding trees or removing a person, so those using digital should be able to dodge and burn but not go crazy with adding colors and objects that aren't really there.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Quote Originally Posted by Inc View Post
    I know dodging and burning are done post photo and people like Ansel Adams were masters of it like you say, and he did it through film. What I was saying was since it can be done with film, it isn't like digitally adding trees or removing a person, so those using digital should be able to dodge and burn but not go crazy with adding colors and objects that aren't really there.

Agree 100%, most people that use to shoot film and have the local shop process their film, did not realize that the machine or developer would correct issues during the processing. Masters in the darkroom could really make an image come to life. The only difference today it's called the digital darkroom. So whatever it takes to make an image appear as it was, by all is fair game. This is the main reason RAW is the way to go. Now when the photographer can shoot the photo correctly while on location, the less work he will have to do at the PC.
    Sparks NV, 89431
    775-322-0820

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road Innovations View Post
    Agree 100%, most people that use to shoot film and have the local shop process their film, did not realize that the machine or developer would correct issues during the processing. Masters in the darkroom could really make an image come to life. The only difference today it's called the digital darkroom. So whatever it takes to make an image appear as it was, by all is fair game. This is the main reason RAW is the way to go. Now when the photographer can shoot the photo correctly while on location, the less work he will have to do at the PC.

error operator
    Real Name
    Roach
    If you have commercial intent for a shot you probably shouldn't be entering it in a local photo contest.
    I don't believe that is his intent with watermarking, he had an incident last year where someone scalped a photo from here and used it illegally on their commercial site.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    How about ditch the rules and monthly subjects, and have a "share and pick" monthly thread. The people who are voting can decide on what they like best
    I like the subject each month. I see it as a reward for the winner and think that it pushes people to be more creative with the given subject.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Shane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    I like the subject each month. I see it as a reward for the winner and think that it pushes people to be more creative with the given subject.

Maybe have 2 contests per month, a running Potpourri of the "run what you brung" "Open Class" variety, and another to continue the winner picks the subject like we have been. I like the subject driven contest, but I also like the more open competition also.

And maybe with the "Open Class" let people enter more than one photo per month (we should probably limit it to 5 or so) that way it encourages more participation and shooting....

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus30 View Post
    Maybe have 2 contests per month, a running Potpourri of the "run what you brung" "Open Class" variety, and another to continue the winner picks the subject like we have been. I like the subject driven contest, but I also like the more open competition also.

And maybe with the "Open Class" let people enter more than one photo per month (we should probably limit it to 5 or so) that way it encourages more participation and shooting....
    Sparks NV, 89431
    775-322-0820