Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trail Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    1) Designate a trail boss. The trail boss should pick the tail gunner and if the group is large enough maybe a waist gunner as well. At the very least these three people should have communications with each other. If the group is large and has varied capabilities you might consider splitting into two seperate groups.

2) Have a driver's meeting where everyone introduces themselves everyone does not know each other. The trail boss should talk about what to expect for the day in terms of length (distance and time) and difficulty.

3) Alternate more and less capable vehicles and vehicles with and without winches if at all possible to keep the group moving through difficult sections.

4) The group should not split up if possible, but the trail boss should also make an effort to keep the group moving along. It seems that as group size increases time to get anywhere grows exponentially. If someone has a minor problem or needs to go to the bathroom or something I recommend that the tail gunner stay with them and the rest of the group keep moving. The stragglers should be able to catch up at the next difficult section.

5) If there are any forks in the road the trail boss should relay back to the waist gunner and tail gunner to let them know which way to go, and each if the group is all together each vehicle should stop and confirm that the vehicle behind them went the right way.

How is that for a start?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, no love?

Another good resource. Its probably the best writeup I've seen about the subject.
    http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/bran...adEtiquett.htm
    Last edited by DRTY4x4; January 17th, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
    "So, can ya tell me what exactly does freedom mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?"

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Sierra View Post
    Can you Mods make that a sticky?
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

DV8LADY2
    AS YOU KILL ME MAN!!! NO LOVE DUDE, NONE, NADA!

I worked really hard on my reply in that thread!!! lol j/k

It's cuz im a chick huh?

Wheeler
    Real Name
    mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we haven't chiseled this checklist in stone yet, I had offered this to another lister after the Genoa Peak run. I like the idea of a drivers meeting, trail boss, swapping phone numbers, rule setting, etc. Having clear expectations makes it a lot easier.

1. Each trail ride should have a designate leader (trail boss) that knows the trail or has current map / GPS for route finding, and a plan for the trip. Tail gunner brings up the rear and keeps track of any stragglers or over-taking traffic.
    2. All participants are expected to stick to the trails, pick up your litter, close the gate, etc.
    3. Participants need to help preserve our offroading rights - Be courteous to other trail users, hikers, MB riders, horseback riders, MC/ATV riders, other wheelers, etc.
    4. If you go on the trail ride - stay with the group.
    5. If you need to bail on the ride - you MUST notify another group member (somebody else on the ride). No sense in the group searching the mountain for you when you're already home sipping a cold one.
    6. Groups larger than 10 rigs should split into 2 or more smaller groups -each with a designated leader and acknowledged plan.
    7. Leaders need to lead from the front.
    8. Beware the fork: When the trail comes to a split, stop and wait for the guy/gal behind you to catch up, and show them which way to go. Same rule for them.
    9. Your rig needs an operational CB radio. NEVER use profanity on the radio.
    10. Every participant is responsible for their own safety and welfare. A helping hand from other trail riders is always a nicety. But you drive your own rig, and you decide if you're up for the carnage.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it was mentioned in another thread about the downhill vehicle getting out of the way when a rig is coming up the hill. Is this the accepted standard of courtesy? Also what about the little cow paths when you meet oncoming traffic who moves then?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Leif
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Momma View Post
    So it was mentioned in another thread about the downhill vehicle getting out of the way when a rig is coming up the hill. Is this the accepted standard of courtesy? Also what about the little cow paths when you meet oncoming traffic who moves then?

Yes it is, the decending vehiclegive the right away.

The vehicle closest to a turnout backs up.

Actually, where I come from, it is the law...

This should beadded to the rules.... good point...

It is perfectly legal to be stupid....
    STOP
    abusing the privilege.....
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****
    I am NOT a doctor, police officer, FBI agent, ambulance tech, or Part 90 dispatcher.
    I am an amateur radio operator, in what still is, at least somewhat, a quasi-technical hobby.
    I am NOT a DHS employee, and I don't work for FEMA.
    I am a freaking bus driver, yapping on the radio, playing with antennas and having FUN

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Momma View Post
    I have always heard that the downhill vehicle should wait for the uphill traffic to pass. It is a momentum thing. It is easier to start going downhill that start going up in the middle. With that said I argued with a guy who always heard the opposite and I could never change his mind. He said it was easier for the uphill person to stop.

On a cowpath I have always followed the principal whoever gets to a wide spot first should pull over. I have had to backup on the road around Bowman Reservoir to get out of the way of people because I was closer to the wide spot.

With those thoughts in mind If the other rig is wheelin with their windows up and air on all bets are off. You should just expect they are not following any of these guidelines and expect you to stay out of their way.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
    I have always heard that the downhill vehicle should wait for the uphill traffic to pass. It is a momentum thing. It is easier to start going downhill that start going up in the middle. With that said I argued with a guy who always heard the opposite and I could never change his mind. He said it was easier for the uphill person to stop.

On a cowpath I have always followed the principal whoever gets to a wide spot first should pull over. I have had to backup on the road around Bowman Reservoir to get out of the way of people because I was closer to the wide spot.

With those thoughts in mind If the other rig is wheelin with their windows up and air on all bets are off. You should just expect they are not following any of these guidelines and expect you to stay out of their way.
    I think it is common sense. I'm sure all of you have been in a situation where you are the decending vehicle and there is NO way you could back up. Each situation dictates what happens.
    If I'm decending, and can pull over, I will. Both vehicle have to be able to access the situation and accordingly.
    If there is a large group coming down, I will pull over and let them pass.
    If your vehicle can't get going again, you are probably somewhere you shouldn't be in the first place.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
    I wheel with the windows up and the air on a lot of the time. What's the point of having A/C if you don't use it when it's hot?
    Brizz

Be careful infringing on peoples 2nd amendment rights with your 1st amendment rights, because you probably wouldn't like it the other way around.

FJ-40 on 37's, locked/posi. Stock Grand Cherokee.

Looking for 68-74 FJ-40 doors.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXXXXX View Post
    If your vehicle can't get going again, you are probably somewhere you shouldn't be in the first place.
    I don't agree with that. I'm sure ALL of us here have climbed hills that if stopped, they would have to back down and try it again. Momentum is very important.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Leif
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizzman View Post
    I wheel with the windows up and the air on a lot of the time. What's the point of having A/C if you don't use it when it's hot?
    Whats the point of AC if youlive here and not in the humid midwest and south east?

STOP
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****
    I am NOT a doctor, police officer, FBI agent, ambulance tech, or Part 90 dispatcher.
    I am an amateur radio operator, in what still is, at least somewhat, a quasi-technical hobby.
    I am a freaking bus driver, yapping on the radio, playing with antennas and having FUN

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Rizzo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never use A/C ... makes me sick. I prefer the fresh air ... but ... to each his own.
    Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One rule that seems to have been forgotten.
    When you are blasting down a dirt road and see an oncoming rig both rigs should slow down enough that hey aren't kicking up a huge dust trail. There two reasons for this.

First the other rig may not have AC and it can suck to have the windows rolled up if it's hot. (I've actually had rigs blast by me when I was in my open top FJ40, they had no effing clue how much dust I ate.)

Second the dust can cause a temporary white out.

Years ago everybody did this but recently I haven't seen anybody doing it.
    75 FJ40 w/stuff; 98 UZJ100 kinda stock; 1984 FJ60
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Phil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    88 Toyota 4Runner, SR5, V6, Auto
    06 Chevy Silverado All Stock, 4x4, Reg. Cab L.B.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_tlc View Post
    One rule that seems to have been forgotten.
    When you are blasting down a dirt road and see an oncoming rig both rigs should slow down enough that hey aren't kicking up a huge dust trail. There two reasons for this.

First the other rig may not have AC and it can suck to have the windows rolled up if it's hot. (I've actually had rigs blast by me when I was in my open top FJ40, they had no effing clue how much dust I ate.)

Second the dust can cause a temporary white out.

Years ago everybody did this but recently I haven't seen anybody doing it.
    That is a great point, i was coming back from the moonrocks a couple of weeks ago with the yota and my quad on the trailer, i was going slow anyway and pulled off to the side a little and stopped for a truck that was coming the other direction.........did he slow down..........no he sped up i think and just dusted the hell out of us:maddance:
    Another one to add to the list i think.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Leif
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbikejohn View Post
    That is a great point, i was coming back from the moonrocks a couple of weeks ago with the yota and my quad on the trailer, i was going slow anyway and pulled off to the side a little and stopped for a truck that was coming the other direction.........did he slow down..........no he sped up i think and just dusted the hell out of us:maddance:
    Another one to add to the list i think.
    Great point, should also apply to pedestrians we meet, no need to dust them down, or kill them with a rock your tires kick up....

STOP

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)