Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jeremiah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used car sales tax

If I buy a car from a dealer in California, do I have to pay sales tax in Nevada when I register it? I know there is no sales tax on private sales in Nevada.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.dmvnv.com/nvreg.htm#Out-of-State

Buying A Vehicle - Out-of-State Dealer Sales
    Out-of-state vehicle dealers must comply with their own state's laws regarding sales to non-residents. Ask about a movement permit and for details on how the vehicle will be titled before you buy. Be certain to read and understand the sales or lease contract before signing.

An out-of-state dealer may or may not collect sales tax. The Nevada DMV will verify whatever tax was paid and charge the buyer any difference between that amount and what would have been due in Nevada. See the Nevada Department of Taxation Sales and Use Tax Publications for current tax rates. Rates vary by county.

Utah Note: Utah dealers do not pay sales tax to Utah on out-of-state vehicle sales. Often, however, they will indicate the estimated amount of Nevada sales tax due as taxes paid to Utah. The full amount of Nevada sales tax is due on vehicles purchased in Utah regardless of any statement on the contract. The estimate on the contract may be different than the actual amount due.

You must register the vehicle at a DMV Full Service Office before the expiration date of any movement permit issued or 30 days maximum. Please bring all documents provided by the dealer. You must have:

Invoice or Bill of Sale, and one of the following:
    Title
    Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
    Security Agreement
    Lease Agreement
    Purchase Order
    Nevada Emissions Vehicle Inspection Report if needed
    VIN Inspection
    Odometer Statement: If your vehicle is 9 years old or newer and the dealer is providing you with the title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, please ensure that the dealer completes the Federal Odometer Statement on this document. Dealers may also provide the original copy of a separate statement.

If you wish to have a third party register the vehicle for you, they must also present a Nevada Evidence of Insurance card for the specific vehicle in the exact name(s) that will appear on the title and registration.

You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. Coverage is verified electronically with your insurance company. Motorists who do not maintain Nevada liability insurance are subject to a registration suspension and $250 reinstatement fee. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. See Vehicle Insurance Requirements.

VIN inspections are completed at the DMV. At larger offices, drive to the Inspection Station outside the main office first. You may also have a law enforcement officer complete the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (RD-15). (PDF Format)

Use our Online Registration Fee Estimates. (Estimate only - total fees will be slightly higher.) DMV field offices accept cash, checks, money orders for the exact amount, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

gotta love the internet...less then 2 minutes to search and post!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you bought from a dealer or broker, you're screwed. I found that out when I bought a truck in Idaho. Had to cough up another grand at registration. Gotta love the double dip on used cars.

error operator
    Real Name
    Roach
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buying a car out of state isn't like buying something online from another state, as you make the deal in person.

Yes you have to pay sales tax, and in my opinion sales tax on used cars is a scam anyway...

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jeremiah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I did see that, but what the DMV says and does I have found to be different. That is why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4nvcowboy View Post
    http://www.dmvnv.com/nvreg.htm#Out-of-State

Buying A Vehicle - Out-of-State Dealer Sales
    Out-of-state vehicle dealers must comply with their own state's laws regarding sales to non-residents. Ask about a movement permit and for details on how the vehicle will be titled before you buy. Be certain to read and understand the sales or lease contract before signing.

An out-of-state dealer may or may not collect sales tax. The Nevada DMV will verify whatever tax was paid and charge the buyer any difference between that amount and what would have been due in Nevada. See the Nevada Department of Taxation Sales and Use Tax Publications for current tax rates. Rates vary by county.

Utah Note: Utah dealers do not pay sales tax to Utah on out-of-state vehicle sales. Often, however, they will indicate the estimated amount of Nevada sales tax due as taxes paid to Utah. The full amount of Nevada sales tax is due on vehicles purchased in Utah regardless of any statement on the contract. The estimate on the contract may be different than the actual amount due.

You must register the vehicle at a DMV Full Service Office before the expiration date of any movement permit issued or 30 days maximum. Please bring all documents provided by the dealer. You must have:

Invoice or Bill of Sale, and one of the following:
    Title
    Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
    Security Agreement
    Lease Agreement
    Purchase Order
    Nevada Emissions Vehicle Inspection Report if needed
    VIN Inspection
    Odometer Statement: If your vehicle is 9 years old or newer and the dealer is providing you with the title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, please ensure that the dealer completes the Federal Odometer Statement on this document. Dealers may also provide the original copy of a separate statement.

If you wish to have a third party register the vehicle for you, they must also present a Nevada Evidence of Insurance card for the specific vehicle in the exact name(s) that will appear on the title and registration.

You must obtain liability insurance from a Nevada-licensed carrier in the exact name(s) which will be on the registration and title. Coverage is verified electronically with your insurance company. Motorists who do not maintain Nevada liability insurance are subject to a registration suspension and $250 reinstatement fee. Out-of-state insurance is not accepted. See Vehicle Insurance Requirements.

VIN inspections are completed at the DMV. At larger offices, drive to the Inspection Station outside the main office first. You may also have a law enforcement officer complete the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (RD-15). (PDF Format)

Use our Online Registration Fee Estimates. (Estimate only - total fees will be slightly higher.) DMV field offices accept cash, checks, money orders for the exact amount, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

gotta love the internet...less then 2 minutes to search and post!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    KEITH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you dont have to pay sales tax in CA, just in NV--there is a form you have to sign at the dealer stating you re going to register and use it out of state.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kjaggers is right, If you purchase a vehicle and plan on registering it in another state, that state and country that you register it in will apply only. I have sold thousands of cars in my life literally. Only state you get away with no sales tax is oregon, All others have diff. tax rates so the taxs must be retrieved by the state you register in. Question is are you buying out right of financing. If you are buying out right you will get all the paperwork title included at time of purchase. If finacing you will only get a dealer report of sale. I have heard stories of people bringing vehicles in from out of state (purchased from a dealer out of state) having the car inspected (required on out of state vehicles) and not getting charged sales tax because they had the title, a screw up on dmv's part but ive heard of it happening.