Thread: tactical sniper rifle package

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brett

tactical sniper rifle package

now that my sbr package is complete, I'm thinking about starting a precision sniper rifle package. Any ideas for a basic rifle package with out of the box accuracy and decent price? I was hoping to start out with a 500ish rifle, as this is my first and i'm not looking to drop too much. Customizing it with stock and whatnot will be done after I make the initial purchase. I checked out some remingtons, but have heard good things about savage as well. again, my requirements are:
    $500ish, slightly used is ok.
    .308 is preferred, but .223 if it is the only option.
    24" barrel or less, it needs to be portable.
    a wide variety of customizable options and lots of parts, i dont want to have to hunt around and pay ridiculous prices for hard to find parts.

thanks
    "In the face of impossible odds, people who love their country can change it."
    - President-elect Barack Obama

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    Price around at Walmart. The guys that work the counter in Fallon are pretty knowledgeable. I've found that prices will vary by as much as $40/gun between walmarts.

This has been talked about quite a bit on here. From what I understand, the savage with the accu-trigger? is the best one. Factory match trigger, fully floated barrell, synthetic or wood stock, out of the box, they are easy MOA capable at 100 yds.

Don't get stuck on a caliber that's NATO unless you are planning on long term ammo availability. The .204 Ruger? I've been told is one heck of a good varmint cartridge.

For anything up to an elk, a 270 Win will get the job done. Do a little research. I like the .308 as well, but some of the newer calibers shoot flatter, farther, faster and have a little more choice in bullet weights to go lighter for thinner skinned game. As long as you get a common caliber ie diameter, you can always go to a premium bullet like the Barnes or some of the other bonded jacket bullets in handloads.

Let us know how it turns out. I'd really like a Savage, but my next rifle is going to be a .338 or .300 win mag type cartridge. I'm looking for something to go hunt a moose or bear with.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brandon
    The remington 700's in the .308 are a favorite of mine. They are used quite a bit by law enforcement as well. Ordered a DPMS . 308 "AR10" that I will start a similar project with....

Wheeler
    Real Name
    thomas

nice

remmy 700 vss or what ever the call them now , add jewl trigger or one of the many others , think of badger ordance for bottom metal and bolt knobs .
    stock mcmilln or acis , spend your mony on optics think leopould . pick your avg ditance you plan to shot ie 100-500 yards equals sierra HPBT 165 grain . 500-1000 is going to be sierra HPBT 175 grain . look at browells catlouge . make sure you get your barrle broke in right if ur going to get serious look for a better barrle if there is one thing i know it is protabl means light nd that is deffiently not a percison rifle AKA a sniper rifle . but keep in mind there is a resone the remmy 700 is the 55 chevy of the rifle world .
    http://www.snipershide.com/
    also have a good fourm there are many more hope it helps and good luck would love to see some pictrues of end product.
    dont squat with ur spurs on.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    John
    I think Savage is the only worth-a-darn rifle you'll find for that price, and their adjustable triggers are very nice.

Remingtons will be hard to find for that price, even used.
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Jesse
    I've done a lot of shopping around and own a few decent guns, by no means an expert but here's what I've learned when shopping around for a similar setup.

Top Candidates:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical- Comes in either .308 or .223. They were $500 at Scheels less than 6 months ago, and now, along with everything else gun related, have shot up about $150 but can still be had online for under $600. They're a 20" heavy barrel and shoot great out of the box. There are people getting near 1/2" groups with factory Federal ammo. The Hogue stock they come with is one of the first recommended replacements, and B&C has some nice choices for $200-300. As far as aftermarket parts, you won't find a gun that has more options or variety, as far as triggers, barrels, stocks, bases, actions, etc...

Savage 10fp- Right around $550 or $600. Very similar to the SPS Tactical. Has a 24" heavy barrel and comes in .308 or .223. Again, the stock is garbage, but there are a bunch of choices out there to replace it with. Shoots very well as is, and features a trigger that is adjustable, and many say better than Remington's. They should have these in stock at Scheels as well if you want to get your hands on one prior to purchasing, as I know I am fond of that.

Howa 1500- Rather than explaining a bunch i'll link you to this "package" that really is hard to beat. I own a Howa in .243 and love it for what I use it for.
    http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm

Hope this helps a little.
    Also, heres a great page that reviews a bunch of guns and talks about prices, etc... All three I mentioned are reviewed.
    http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

Web Wheeler
    So my response is below but I should have read all the responses. Reno Racing sums it up pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey123 View Post
    I think Savage is the only worth-a-darn rifle you'll find for that price, and their adjustable triggers are very nice.

Remingtons will be hard to find for that price, even used.
    The remington SPS varmint can sometimes be found cheaper than the 10FP but they are pretty close in price

Either gun will do what you want. I really like the savage guns but Remington is good as well.

The savage comes with a 24" 1in10 twist and the remington is a 26 1in12 twist

If you want a shorter barrel Remington makes the SPS tactical with a 20" and Savage makes a new one with a 20" too. They used to make the 10FP with a 20 and you could find them for around 400 bucks a couple years ago but I dont think they make them and the prices have all gone up
    A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jed
    You can special order the Savage 10FP from Walmart for $550. I just checked last week.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dominic
    I would go with the Remington 700 because of the avoidable parts and its easy to work on.
    The savages aren't that easy to work on because they are stamped and lower quality of work. but thats my opinion

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    J.J.
    +1 for a Savage

speaking of tactical rifle setups, i know someone selling a 10fcp-hs for $1500
    2002 Ram 2500 CTD

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    I would go with the Remington 700 because of the avoidable parts and its easy to work on.
    The savages aren't that easy to work on because they are stamped and lower quality of work. but thats my opinion
    What is stamped on a savage?
    A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Jeff Cooper

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brett
    since im a southpaw, anyone know anything about barrel cutting? i was thinking about getting one of the 26" 700 varmints in left hand, and having it cut to 18 or 20. anyone in town who does that?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    nicholas
    if you are still looking for a rifle scheels will comp walmart on the prices

Web Wheeler
    Most any decent gunsmith can cut and crown usually for pretty cheap

Just make sure to take that into account when you are thinking about prices

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brett
    anyone know of any good gunsmiths who can shorten and thread a remington rifle barrel?