Thread: What's up with F-150 brake pads?

Web Wheeler

What's up with F-150 brake pads?

I've got a '99 Ford F-150 that has a problem with disintegrating brake pads. It happens about twice a year. Just one day you hit the breaks, it's metal to metal and three out of four pads are almost new. One is cracked apart.

I had that problem with my work truck (another F-150) a few years ago. The boss always blamed me for it.

Is this a common problem or is my truck simply possessed by demons that have an interest in AutoZone?
    And the watchman told... and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.
    . 2 Kings 9:20

I don't worry about my ego, so long as my camera is bigger than my head.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17555839@N03/

My website:
    http://www.jonathanblakephotography.com

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    I think it has something to do with the big "F" on the side of the truck.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    nicholas
    Quote Originally Posted by KE7DZZ View Post
    lol what ever yo
    no i have the same prob

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    dave
    are you getting a quality brake job every time...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Greg
    If your only having problems with one pad, you need to check out that caliper. Binding pivits, binding piston, something along those lines.

I quit using aftermarket pads on my F-150 and went back to OEM. Aftermarket pads were only good for about 10,000 miles and would make all kinds of noise after being in the dirt. OEMs last 30,000 miles, don't make any noise, and do stop a little better. This is more than enough to justify the price difference. (and there's a big price diffrence!) I've put 195,000 miles on my truck so I had plenty of time to test it out.

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    are you getting a quality brake job every time...
    What is it about the R&R of brake pads that could cause this? When I had this happen last year, I replaced the rotors, calipers and pads at the same time. Three months later, another pad disintigrated.

FWIW...

This time it wasn't a pad. I posted this thread before looking at it. One of the bolts backed out (again). You need to use locktite on those buggers. It's fine now but the pads (almost new) are heat cracked but holding.
    And the watchman told... and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously.

My website:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Clint
    Also if you do buy OEM be sure to get Ford, and not Motorcraft pads. The Ford pads last a bit longer and will not squeak.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Virginians View Post
    Ah Elko. Last time I was there, I cruised the Whirl-Murt with my wolf t-shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by KNØCW
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Web Wheeler
    Quote Originally Posted by cblood™ View Post
    Also if you do buy OEM be sure to get Ford, and not Motorcraft pads. The Ford pads last a bit longer and will not squeak.
    I've tried several different brands and "qualities". I don't think I've tried specifying Ford brand yet. I'll try it the next time it happens.

My website:

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Will
    I never have a problem with brake pads like you describe, except the heat cracking and checking part. I solve that by cutting some slots through the pad to let them expand and contract. Most of the better quality pads have this slot right in the middle.

I pay a little more for Performance Friction pads or the Wagner line at Kragen. Both have very good reviews.

I've used the store brand ones for a long time, but they are only good at normal driving. If you are hard on your brakes or race, they just can't cut it.

I always grease the crap out of the sliders or pins or whatever. Right now I'm using a cheap black neverseize I bought at a discount freight store. It says it's good to 1800 degrees and has moly in it. So far it's working much better than the cheapo caliper grease that permatex has, or regular grease, and it's cheap to boot.
    Some people are as useful as a football bat.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Damien
    Quote Originally Posted by cblood™ View Post
    Ford pads ARE Mtorcraft pads with a Ford box. But yea if you only use O.E.M. parts you wont have those problems. Make sure and machine or replace the rotors too. As an uneven surface even if it is only .001" or so will cause un even braking and pressure points witch will cause cracking. Be sure to properly lube your calipers and spend the $10.00 for a caliper hardware kit, You will be amazed at the improvement you get from new sliders and proper lubrication.

Good luck man, I hope this info helps.
    Hard work good, Hard work fine, But first take care of head! Knowledge is everything!

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    just scrap the truck and sell me your Manual shift BW4406 transfer case

Web Wheeler
    I agree with K7Devil. You'd be surprised at how many people, including "reputable" shops are happy to just slap a new set of pads/shoes on worn rotors or drums. I was taught early on, always, always, always, turn or replace the rotor or drum when replacing the pads/shoes, otherwise, you replace the pads/shoes sooner.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tony
    Quote Originally Posted by KE7DZZ View Post
    X2. the problem stems from this ovular blue device they put on those trucks. it screws up all sorts of things ranging from the powertrain, the interior, exterior and safety systems.

id go to your dealership and ask for them to remove the problem.
    There are 2 rules in life:
    1.Never tell everything you know.

Boulevard Pizza- The freshest thin crust pizza in Sparks.

Real Name
    generic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    What is it about the R&R of brake pads that could cause this? When I had this happen last year, I replaced the mallory distributor rotor , calipers and pads at the same time. Three months later, another pad disintigrated.

FWIW...

This time it wasn't a pad. I posted this thread before looking at it. One of the bolts backed out (again). You need to use locktite on those buggers. It's fine now but the pads (almost new) are heat cracked but holding.
    Would replacing rotor alone can really solve the problem? Those bolts are also one of my major problems too back then.
    Last edited by allenfre; January 11th, 2010 at 06:24 PM.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ronnie
    I've got 43 k on my 03 F-150, original brake pads and not a peep out of them. they are still in great condition also.
    03 Tacoma Double Cab, E locker rear, work in progress.......

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaJeep View Post
    X2. the problem stems from this ovular blue device they put on those trucks. it screws up all sorts of things ranging from the powertrain, the interior, exterior and safety systems.

id go to your dealership and ask for them to remove the problem.
    At least Barbie doesn't own a Ford.

Problem: Big truck- Little brakes. Next time buy 3/4 or one ton.