User Tag List

View Poll Results: How personally threatened do you feel by a terrorist attack?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • A terrorist attack is eminent

3 5.26%
  • I think I'll be involved in a attack in my lifetime

9 15.79%
  • I don't think I'll be involved in an attack in my lifetime

26 45.61%
  • Terrorism doesn't even cross my mind

19 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How personally threatened do you feel by a terrorist attack?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How personally threatened do you feel by a terrorist attack?

How personally threatened do you feel by a terrorist attack? Not an attack on the nation, but an attack that would involve you personally.
    -Kris KF7KEK

It's not me. The rest of the world is insane.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with our current administration as week globally as they are terrorists are getting more brazen. Domestic terrorism is on a rise as well. we are now at the point of the great depression with no sign of recovery if things get any worse I would say it is imminent.
    Last edited by Rafterman; January 12th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
    renotactical.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to happen eventually. Our government is so lax and anyone can get anything in. I think the gov does it on purpose so the helpless masses can scream for help and we will have even more rights removed from us in the guise of national security.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring it, I have really no worry of a terrorist attack out here, but it could be fun to plink some asshats.

On another note, what does innement mean? I couldn't find it in my dictionary.
    Last edited by Gizmatical Fuquad; January 12th, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNorm View Post
    It's going to happen eventually. Our government is so lax and anyone can get anything in. I think the gov does it on purpose so the helpless masses can scream for help and we will have even more rights removed from us in the guise of national security.
    I couldn't agree with this statement any more.
    Imperial Troops have entered the base...Imperial Troops have enschzzzz...

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KE7DZZ View Post
    On another note, what does innement mean? I couldn't find it in my dictionary.
    Sorry I meant eminent. Spell check failed me. Can a mod correct correct this?
    -Kris KF7KEK

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrorism is the last thing on my mind when I leave the house. When I'm heading out to work or to the grocery store I'm not thinking "Am I going to die in a terror attack today?" Mostly I'm thinking about football or getting drunk or sex or 4 wheeling (not necessarily in that order). I don't live my life in fear of whats going to happen. I'm more likely die at the hands of some asshat on the highway than a terrorist. Do I fret over that? No.
    -Kris KF7KEK

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    Terrorism is the last thing on my mind when I leave the house. When I'm heading out to work or to the grocery store I'm not thinking "Am I going to die in a terror attack today?" Mostly I'm thinking about football or getting drunk or sex or 4 wheeling (not necessarily in that order). I don't live my life in fear of whats going to happen. I'm more likely die at the hands of some asshat on the highway than a terrorist. Do I fret over that? No.
    I agree 1000%, if I worried about "what could happen", I might as well be a scared hamster in a cage. I live my life and deal with challenges as they come. I refuse to live in fear of anything.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

I support Reno4x4!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say it never crosses my mind because it's in the news so much, but I doubt I will ever have to deal with it in my lifetime. I don't think the effect of terror is the same in Fallon Nevada as in a big city.

Now, if I lived in New York City or Chicago, I'm sure I would have it on my mind a bit more.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    James
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VOTE: I don't think I'll be involved in an attack in my lifetime

I am more worried about the water supply or an efficient dirty bomb, but I will stick with the numbers of possibility vs probability and gamble that I am safe. The US wants to try to live by our own rules even when opperating in places where there are no rules. The more the terrorists penetrate into the US and harm its citizens the less we will care about civil rights and the more we will be willing to resolve the issue by cracking skulls. It's a self correcting system.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bob
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNorm View Post
    Got that right.
    The government scares me more than terrorists do

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Norm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fear has nothing to do with it. Having an idea of what could happen is the first step in being prepared. We could be majorly impacted here where we live if the right things were targeted. We live in the desert. If the trucks stop moving then we don't get groceries. If food is scarce then people will show their real ugliness. For the time being, food is transported in and the power is kept on. If the power goes out and food is scarce the bad guys know we would be busy hurting each other in panic. As it stands now it's as the last days of the Roman empire. Free food (food stamps, welfare), and circuses (Cable TV, Xbox, and the internet). We are currently being pacified. Once other countries don't need us anymore and don't feel like buying up more debt, look out.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt I'll ever be involved in one, but that doesn't mean I'm not prepared for the possibility. Also, fixed "Eminent"
    I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert. - Demetri Martin

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    L.D.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are all thinking about Abebe, and not Baroc. I fear an attack from our own moreso than from abroad. we have been under attack by demestic terrorists for some time now and most of you ignore it and let your freedomes be killed off one slice at a time. with the new direction of our leaders I fear the freedoms I have left are soon to be sliced away. so" YES" I do feel I will be a victim, without bodily harm.
    I'M NOT A DAMN HIPPY, I'M A WELL GROOMED MOUNTAIN MAN
    YOUR JUST JEALOUS BECOUSE THE VOICES SPEAK TO ME

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Justin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt I'll ever be involved in one, but that doesn't mean I'm not prepared for the possibility. Also, fixed "Eminent"
    Even though the chances of being involved in an attack are slim, I feel that if it were something to directly affect me it would be from a domestic terrorist. Tim McVeigh proved how simple it could be.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens in Vegas

The closest to a terrorist attack would be Hover Dam. . . . and like they say, "What happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas"

They won't directly attack somewhere where there won't be mass causalities quickly. The Terrorist are more interested in killing a large number of Americans quickly. No northern Nevada only would have to worry about home grown terrorism. . . if that's the correct.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were is the choice for bacon?

What are we woried about we all have 4x4s, know how to camp and ruff it, own guns, and after Obama got in most of us bought a life time supply of ammo. I think we are all safe.
    Last edited by Toyota Guy; January 14th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
    You might have a V8 but I have 4 angry squirrels on steroids under my hood.
    1983 Toyota truck. Always under construction.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Kim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    renotactical.com

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KE7DZZ View Post
    Bring it, I have really no worry of a terrorist attack out here, but it could be fun to plink some asshats.
    X2 Bring it on cowards.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Damien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threatened? Yes, I have been hearing threats from these people all of my life practically.

Scared? Hell No!!!! I do not feel I have any thing to fear! These people are way to cowardly to actually come fight us toe to toe. If the day comes that they grow a pair I will be ready to take a few out.
    Hard work good, Hard work fine, But first take care of head! Knowledge is everything!

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Steve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, another favorite topic of mine... (and one I happen to know something about)
    Dirty bomb: Not likely to happen.
    Lets say there are around 230 million people or so in the country. (230,000,000)
    I have not kept up on it, but a couple of years back there totaled less than 4000 actual victims of "terrorists" (deaths) in the US in the last couple of decades.
    During the same period, there have been around one million killed in highway accidents (I AM ESTIMATING).
    A couple hundred thousand killed in accidents at work, etc.
    If you remove the World Trade Center deaths, the numbers are more like 6 or 7 hundred in a couple decades.
    So, the reality is that you are a few hundred times more likely to be killed on the highway.
    And maybe a hundred times more likely to be killed at work (falls and hit by falling objects)
    We should all stay away from driving to work, statistically that is the MOST dangerous activity.
    Dirty bomb: Scare tactic by retired Bomb Techs (like me) to make money dreaming up the "threat dujour" and selling countermeasures and training/consulting.
    Liquid Explosives: do some research, even foreign govenments would find it hard to make. (meaning too hard to make without blowing yourself up while making it or transporting it)
    Stolen "briefcase" bombs from the Soviet Union: Actually far larger and heavier than one or two people can carry. A true fissionable mass (or fusion) would be either too heavy to move, or unshielded enuf that the radiation would kill the person moving it (anybody see 24?)
    Real things to worry about are poisons used in our everyday lives that have to be moved on the highway.
    Doesn't need to be any exotic "carbon-tetra-kat-****" or "methyl-ethyl-salmon-loaf", the bad stuff more often are things like Chlorine at the local hospital or swimming pool.
    All these REALLY bad chemicals are transported by trucks and trains.
    AND THEY HAVE A VERY GOOD SAFETY RECORD, so don't get the wrong idea.
    But the numbers are that you are far more likely to be a victim of a Haz-Mat incident on the road or a victim of a DUI (by a hundred times) than Terrorists.
    Check the chemical composition of commercial weed killers and things like Tabun (its pronounced TA-BOON) or Sarin.
    Nope, I am not afraid of Terrorists.
    I wasn't even when I was a full time Bomb Tech and dealt with the stuff everyday.
    Keep your eyes open for ANYBODY or thing that is out of place, then go the other way.
    Don't drive next to semi-trucks with PLACARDS.
    Stop for a coffee and let them get WAY ahead of you (or behind).
    If you do see any accident, REALLY avoid the smoke, especially if it is purple.
    Purple smoke is bad...
    If you can get one (book stores or the library) pick up the North American Emergency Response Guidebook (The NAERG) and learn what those funny numbers mean on the
    trucks and trains.
    I have been retired for awhile, but a really nice friend that reads here got me an updated copy.
    It will keep you from riding next to funny tank trucks.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Alec
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the Bay Area, Sometimes.

In Reno, Never.

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is something to think about. Saw it on FB today.
    THIS IS ONE OF THE CLEAREST STATEMENTS ON THE AMERICAN DISCOMFORT OF THE MUSLIM COMMUNITY.

A newspaper stated that some Muslim doctor is saying we are profiling him because he has been checked three times while getting on an airplane. The following is a letter from a pilot. This well - spoken man, who is a pilot with American Airlines, says what is in his heart, beautifully.

YOU WORRY ME!
    By Captain John Maniscalco, American Airlines Pilot

I've been trying to say this since 911, but you worry me. I wish you didn't. I wish when I walked down the streets of this country that I love, that your color and culture still blended with the beautiful human landscape we enjoy in this country. But you don't blend in anymore. I notice you, and it worries me.

I notice you because I can't help it anymore. People from your homelands, professing to be Muslims, have been attacking and killing my fellow citizens and our friends for more than 20 years now.
    I don't fully understand their grievances and hate, but I know that nothing can justify the inhumanity of their attacks.

On September 11, ARAB-MUSLIMS hijacked four jetliners in my country. They cut the throats of women in front of children and brutally stabbed to death others, hacking their necks, over and over, with box cutters. They took control of those planes and crashed them into buildings, killing thousands of proud fathers, loving sons, wise grandparents, elegant daughters, best friends, favorite coaches, fearless public servants, and children's mothers.

The Palestinians celebrated, the Iraqis were overjoyed as was most of the Arab world. So, I notice you now. I don't want to be worried.
    I don't want to be consumed by the same rage, hate and prejudice that has destroyed the soul of these terrorists. But I need your help. As a rational American, trying to protect my country and family in an irrational and unsafe world, I must know how to tell the difference between you, and the Arab/Muslim terrorist.

How do I differentiate between the true Arab/Muslim Americans and the Arab/Muslim terrorists in our communities who are attending our schools, enjoying our parks, and living in OUR communities under the protection of OUR constitution, while they plot the next attack that will slaughter MORE of the same good neighbors and children?

The events of September 11 changed the answer.. It is not MY responsibility to determine which of you embraces our great country, with ALL of its religions, with ALL of its different citizens, with all of its faults. It is time for every Arab/Muslim in this country to determine it for me.

I want to know, I DEMAND to know and I have a right to know, whether or not you love America ..... Do you pledge allegiance to its flag? Do you proudly display it in front of your house, or on your car? Do you pray in your many daily prayers that Allah will bless this nation; that He will protect it and let it prosper? Or do you pray that Allah will destroy it in one of your Jihads? Are you thankful for the freedom that this nation affords? A freedom that was paid for by the blood of hundreds of thousands of patriots, who have through our history, given their lives for this country? Are you willing to preserve this freedom by also paying the ultimate sacrifice? Do you love America?? If this is your commitment, then I need YOU to start letting ME know about it.

Your Muslim leaders in this nation should be flooding the media at this time with hard facts on your faith, and what hard actions YOU are taking as a community and as a religion to protect the United States of America. Please, no more benign overtures of regret for the death of the innocent, because I worry about who you regard as innocent. No more benign overtures of condemnation for the unprovoked attacks, because I worry about what is unprovoked to you. I am not interested in any more sympathy; I am interested only in action. What will you do for America - our great country - at this time of continuing crisis, at this time of war?

I want to see Arab-Muslims waving the AMERICAN flag in the streets. I want to hear you chanting 'Allah Bless America'. I want to see young Arab/Muslim men enlisting in the military. I want to see a commitment of money, time and emotion to the victims of this butchering and to our returning wounded and to this nation as a whole.

The FBI has had a long list of people they’ve wanted to interact with regarding the threats that they believe to be ongoing. Many of these people live and socialize right now in Muslim communities. You know them. You know where they are. Give the FBI a heads up as to where they may be. Better yet, hand them over to us, NOW! But I have seen little even approaching this sort of action. Instead I have seen an already closed and secretive community close even tighter. You have disappeared from the streets. You have posted armed security guards at your facilities. You have threatened lawsuits. You have screamed for protection from reprisals.

The very few Arab/Muslim representatives, like CARE, that HAVE appeared in the media were defensive and equivocating. They seemed more concerned with making sure that the United States apologize and take responsibility for actions defending our own people. They seemed more concerned with protecting their fellow Muslims from violence directed towards them in the United States and abroad than they did with supporting our country and denouncing 'leaders' like the late Khadafi, the late Hussein, Farrakhan, and the late Arafat.

If the true teachings of Islam proclaim tolerance and peace and love for all people, then I want chapter and verse from the Koran and statements from popular Muslim leaders to back it up. What good is it if the teachings in the Koran are good, pure, and true, when your 'leaders' ARE teaching fanatical interpretations, terrorism, and intolerance? It matters little how good Islam SHOULD BE if huge numbers of the world's Muslims interpret the teachings of Mohammed incorrectly and adhere to a degenerative form of the religion. A form that has been demonstrated to us over and over again. A form whose structure is built upon a foundation of violence, death, and suicide. A form whose members are recruited from the prisons around the world.

A form whose members (some as young as five years old) are seen day after day, week in and week out, year after year, marching in the streets around the world, burning effigies of our presidents, burning the American flag, shooting weapons into the air. A form whose members convert from a peaceful religion, only to take up arms against the great United States of America, the country of their birth. A form whose rules are so twisted, that their traveling members refuse to show their faces at airport security checkpoints, in the name of Islam.

We will NEVER allow the attacks of September 11, or any others for that matter, to take away that which is so precious to us -- our rights under the greatest constitution in the world. I want to know where every Arab Muslim in this country stands and I think it is my right and the right of every true citizen of this country to DEMAND it. A right paid for by the blood of thousands of my brothers and sisters who died protecting the very constitution that is protecting you and your family.

I am pleading with you to let me know. I want you here as my brother, my neighbor, my friend, as a fellow American...... But there can be no grey areas or ambivalence regarding your allegiance, and it is up to YOU, to show ME, where YOU stand. Until then, "YOU WORRY ME!"

{Greg writes} “If you are not with us then stay in the country that you do pledge allegiance to !”

24. The Following 3 Users Like SidewaysSammi's Post:

nevadayj (June 26th, 2016), rlmjr58 (June 25th, 2016), WILLD420 (June 25th, 2016)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is "imminent", not "eminent".

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Mike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
    How personally threatened do you feel by a terrorist attack? Not an attack on the nation, but an attack that would involve you personally.
    Personally, not at all.
    My toes curl every time I enter a gun free zone. I am uncomfortable in the areas labeled as such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk