I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Jake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a GPS

Im looking for a nice GPS for off road mainly but i will probably use it for both on and offroad. what are some good GPS'S out there... my price range is 100-200
    if everything's under control, you're not going fast enough.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your best bet is to look around and bu a netbook, and a usb gps adapter. you then can use google earth as your copilot. all can be done for around 300 bucks. i know its a little over but well worth it. zipgraver has it mastered, and i am sure hell chime in in a few. i am still getting used to it. no dealing with topos or nothing plus ou get a 10"+ screen. ou can even use your regular laptop if you already have one.
    1991 XJ, d30HP front, LOCKED 8.25 rear, 3:55's, roof rack, lots of lights!, 5 speed and a 231, sitting on 34x10.5x15 Super Swamper Narrows :smokin:
    The United States Constitution
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Gary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I saw an E machines netbook at Wallyworld for $219.00. 2G memory 260G hardrive Intel porcessor Winodws 7. Pretty nice for that price. MS 360 GPS $39.00 with software that you can't use on a trail. Think you can get the GPS by itself a lot cheaper. Google Earth free....GooPS free. Way cool. See my thread here showing my set up and a video. This is the way to go for trail riding. For streets and highways just a regular GPS will do but I tink MS software will work good with the net book.

http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...nd-the-NETBOOK
    Gary D.
    The PIVOT KING
    www.pivotking.com
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...OKER150pix.jpg

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Matt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin eTrex that i got from Wally World. Was right around $100. No topo but it gets the job done. Your welcome to check it out sometime if you want

also, if you want one that works on the road too just get one of each. looking around your $200 price range. not many do both well
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3711126

i bought a refurbished garmin 2+ years ago from radioshack and its still working as good as the day i bought it
    Last edited by MotoMatt; April 15th, 2010 at 06:18 PM.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is exactly what im talking about! im halfway tempted to trade my laptop for a netbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIPGRAVER View Post
    Yep I saw an E machines netbook at Wallyworld for $219.00. 2G memory 260G hardrive Intel porcessor Winodws 7. Pretty nice for that price. MS 360 GPS $39.00 with software that you can't use on a trail. Think you can get the GPS by itself a lot cheaper. Google Earth free....GooPS free. Way cool. See my thread here showing my set up and a video. This is the way to go for trail riding. For streets and highways just a regular GPS will do but I tink MS software will work good with the net book.

http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...nd-the-NETBOOK
    1991 XJ, d30HP front, LOCKED 8.25 rear, 3:55's, roof rack, lots of lights!, 5 speed and a 231, sitting on 34x10.5x15 Super Swamper Narrows :smokin:
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Looking for a GPS

this is exactly what im talking about! im halfway tempted to trade my laptop for a netbook!
    What are the specs on your laptop? I have an Asus EEE PC 10.1" netbook I may be willing to trade. it's the 1000HA.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    - John
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i'm trying to catch up on this you need a GPS you can plug into a laptop doesn't need to be fancy.It tells the goops where you are puts you there on Google earth image on screen with live update?I have a GPS that doesn't plug into a computer so i'll need a different one.I have a lap top so if I get a cheap plug in GPS I have everything that I need wow. If I could get this to work I would buy a net book i'll bet the battery lasts longer too.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are correct sir! you can use any laptop and goops recognizes almost all usb plug in gps deals. mine is from a delorm 2005 mapset that i bought 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by trail b2 View Post
    So i'm trying to catch up on this you need a GPS you can plug into a laptop doesn't need to be fancy.It tells the goops where you are puts you there on Google earth image on screen with live update?I have a GPS that doesn't plug into a computer so i'll need a different one.I have a lap top so if I get a cheap plug in GPS I have everything that I need wow. If I could get this to work I would buy a net book i'll bet the battery lasts longer too.
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is an amd 32 bit, 140gb hd and 3 gigs ram. whats the netbook got?
    Quote Originally Posted by NevadaXJ View Post
    What are the specs on your laptop? I have an Asus EEE PC 10.1" netbook I may be willing to trade. it's the 1000HA.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - John
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15.4" it had 2 gigs of ram, but i added the 3rd!
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You notice the specs on the battery life on the net book a lot better than a laptop.Another question is do you have to pre do the trip on google earth before the trip is that how it works?

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, if you open google earth, it has a cache, make sure its 2000mb its the max. then whatever you scroll over and look at, goes into the cache. just put your laptop to sleep, and don't shut it off. i believe you lose the cache. but if you use it in cities theres wifi everywhere and you can re-cache. if you have a wireless cell card, the opportunity is unthinkable. you could run google earth with gps live!
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved

Web Wheeler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lockwood BII View Post
    if you have a wireless cell card, the opportunity is unthinkable. you could run google earth with gps live!
    I just use wifi tethering on my Motorola Droid to give internet to my netbook. I already pay for the data plan so it doesn't cost any extra.
    - John

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Ron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't follow roads on google earth over here near as well because the trees would get in the way.Really hard on those narrow trails that are the funnest.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Gary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lockwood BII View Post
    yeah, if you open google earth, it has a cache, make sure its 2000mb its the max. then whatever you scroll over and look at, goes into the cache. just put your laptop to sleep, and don't shut it off. i believe you lose the cache. but if you use it in cities theres wifi everywhere and you can re-cache. if you have a wireless cell card, the opportunity is unthinkable. you could run google earth with gps live!
    Actually you find the map you want while on line then plot a path then save the map using SAVE PLACE AS. That saves a kmz file that when you open GE off line the cached map comes up and you just open the kmz file and it is automatically set.

Oh I use an inverter to power my netbook not the battery. So there is no issues at all. I can even start GE off line and it will bring up the last map I had in there.
    Gary D.
    The PIVOT KING
    www.pivotking.com

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Gary
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trail b2 View Post
    You can't follow roads on google earth over here near as well because the trees would get in the way.Really hard on those narrow trails that are the funnest.
    Just follow the trail until it gets hidden under the trees then find where it comes out and plot a path between those points. The GPS will give you a line even under the trees and you can save that as a track for next time then just layer that on GE.
    Gary D.
    The PIVOT KING
    www.pivotking.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Don
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly! and if you have a jailbroken iphone, you can run pda net and tether in the us!
    I just use wifi tethering on my Motorola Droid to give internet to my netbook. I already pay for the data plan so it doesn't cost any extra.
    (c) 1791.
    All Rights Reserved