Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPS on the Droid X?

I just got a Motorola Droid X. I want to use it as a GPS for mapping trails and seeing where I've been (as well as letting me know where I am).
    Is there an app that will make this into a decent GPS without stealing my identity and buying hundreds of music downloads on me?
    Brizz

Be careful infringing on peoples 2nd amendment rights with your 1st amendment rights, because you probably wouldn't like it the other way around.

FJ-40 on 37's, locked/posi. Stock Grand Cherokee.

Looking for 68-74 FJ-40 doors.

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Kanin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use My tracks which is a free app in the andriod market ... seems to work decent for me

3. The Following User Likes Shinobi's Post:

White7 (February 16th, 2013)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Bill
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "footprints" came with my Sprint based (Android) HTC phone. It will take a picture and save the GPS co-ords so you can look it up on Google Earth when you get home.
    KF7QZO

Not a lot...just a bit-'o-sin

Organizing Sunday runs since March of 2011

Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I downloaded My Tracks and will look for Footprints.
    Brizz

Be careful infringing on peoples 2nd amendment rights with your 1st amendment rights, because you probably wouldn't like it the other way around.

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or does My Tracks not show the actual GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude)?

I use GPS Test and GPS Status for the coordinates. They both seem to work well. My Tracks works well for mapping out where you've been.
    Brizz

renocomputerrepair.com
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to get some feedback on the new apps out, any input?
    Mr. IPOD
    Ask Big Blue how I saved him $2,600.00 on data recovery!
    Home & office computer repair/ Reno laptop repair/Networking/WIFI/Reno Server repair/Hard Drive Data Recovery/ IP & CCTV Camera Surveillance Systems DVR & NVR
    Call 722-6969 After hours support available

www.sonicwall.com/us
    www.cisco.com

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Tracks works pretty well for mapping. GPS Test gives coordinates and signal strength. I haven't used anything else recently, but would always like to know of something better. Something like My Tracks that gives coordinates would be nice.
    Brizz

9. The Following User Likes Brizzman's Post:

Reno Computer Repair (October 7th, 2012)

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree my tracks is a good simple app. It depends on what you need but it allows me to create pinpoints, provides several details on the trip and allows a simple upload to google or many other locations. I guess I could get longitude and latitude from google. It allows you to follow previous tracks and share tracks. I noticed the elevation numbers are sometimes off a little. Not enought to care but for what i wanted it works great.

11. The Following User Likes carbonunit's Post:

Reno Computer Repair (October 7th, 2012)

Wheeler
    Real Name
    Tyrell, KD7KUJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DISCLAIMER: I'm a Geography major, and my requirements don't often coincide with what "Normal" people need. That being said:

I use BackCountry Navigator. Yes, it's a paid app (Although there is a free trial, and I recommend you use it before selling your soul), and yes, the "Good" map files require you to buy them... But you can get high quality data based on the USGS 7.5 minute quads for free, and those work FANTASTIC, and for a mapping app while your in the back country, it's pretty freaking cool. It also has the ability to mark waypoints and tracks, but my experience is limited in those respects (The only time I'm marking way points, I need more power than a consumer grade product... I use QGIS for my needs in that department). A NOTE OF CAUTION: The maps are acquired over the internet, so you need an internet connection to get them. HOWEVER, if you know your going out, you can easily tell the app to pre-cache the tiles your going to need. Quite frankly, BCM's map caching is something that sets it appart from a lot of other products... It's the only app I have used that does a good job of that.

Where BCN fails is in the "Tell me the lat-long of my current location" department. For that, I use an app called GPS Essentials; It is basically a basic GPS app with a blank "Dashboard" on which you can load dozens of widgets. I use the Lat/long, UTM, GPS Date and Time, Sun rise, Sun set, moon rise, moon set, Compass declination (Pretty cool if you ever use a real compass), bearing, and a couple others... There are literally dozens to chose from.... So it's worth exploring for a while. This one also has maps, pulled from various online sources, including OpenStreetMap, Google Maps, and a couple others, but I don't think it caches them (I haven't used it anywhere I don't have cell coverage yet, but probably will this upcoming Friday if anyone cares for a followup).

THE ONLY THING neither of those apps do that I sometimes want is Maidenhead Coordinates (This coordinate grid system is only really useful to Hams, so if you don't know what it is, disregard this section). I am still looking into what exactly to do about this, but I am looking into QTH Locator Droid, which seems to have Google Maps integration and some pretty good reviews...

13. The Following User Likes alawatsakima's Post:

Gizmatical Fuquad (October 7th, 2012)

I support Reno4x4!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too, use BCN as well as GPS Essentials on my Android phone. I have all of the maps for areas of interest to me saved to my phone. Cool software and BCN is well worth the money.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

Speak Freely!

μολὼν λαβέ

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    Brizz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to check out BCN. One of the things I don't like about My Tracks is that if I'm out of cell range, I don't have maps. It will still record the track, and give you maps when you are back in range, but it's not much help while you are out of range.
    Brizz

Web Wheeler
    Real Name
    RJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Sports Tracker (free on android store) to track where I've run and it's pretty decent. Should work fine for trail driving as well. It works fine on roads in cars.

There should be a bunch of tracking apps for free...
    Go Big or Go Home

I support Blue Ribbon Coalition!
    Real Name
    Clint
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Back Country Navigator also, and like it. If you get i,t take some time and read how to use.
    I only drink a little, but when I do, I turn into another person, and that person drinks a lot.