Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Exhaust bypass valves?

  1. #1
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    21 Aug 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    3,793
    Real Name
    John

    Exhaust bypass valves?

    I'm debating if one of these would be worth the effort or not...

    It's basically a valve that gets welded inline with your current exhaust setup, allowing you to run the regular exhaust or dump out at a point you choose. They kinda look like throttle body valves inside a y pipe. Some are mechanical, some are electronic selenoid. I'm considering it for the Kia so I could retain the quiet, factory exhaust on daily driving and then have the option to open the exhaust pre cat to get some free flowing performance off road or any time I choose. (Yes, I understand possible smog rammifications, I'll choose to take those on myself)


    Would the y pipe and valve create enough exhaust turbulance in my stock setup to make it not worth it? Is the open pipe dumping out going to give me noticable performance above factory cat and muffler? (3.5L V6, stock exhaust feeds into a y pipe and single muffler) Anyone ever run one of these?

    One example:



    This one looks like the best setup so far for $$$ vs benefit:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5424/?rtype=10
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

  2. #2
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    20 Sep 2007
    Location
    Out on the Fringe.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,767
    Real Name
    Chris
    It'll make the Kia sound like a weed-whacker and make little or no improvement in performance.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

    2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

    Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

    Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

    Speak Freely!


    μολὼν λαβέ

  3. #3
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    08 May 2008
    Location
    spanish springs
    Posts
    2,147
    Real Name
    Conrad
    Not worth the hassle or the money or the bad public relations on the trail. I hate cowtowwing to all the special interest that are trying to force us off our land but these things are for lowriders and ratrods that race on thursday nights in industrial parks. There was an electric one on the discount rack at Summit a few weeks ago for $150 +/- so I'll guess that they are $200 or more NIB. Put that towards a good cat back that'll give you gains daily in performance and mileage and you wont have to endure the jeers of people around you on the trail because those really do sound like total crap unless you are pushing serious hp throuhg them, then they only sound pretty crappy. They (the "Y" kind not the butterfly kind) do make a serious difference on turbo cars if you plumb them properly but that's not the case here. I'd much sooner put the money into good shocks and do more fast paced trails with the power you have.


    Oh yeah. Thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks every six months on my car ins.

  4. #4
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    21 Aug 2008
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    3,793
    Real Name
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjunkie View Post
    I'd much sooner put the money into good shocks and do more fast paced trails with the power you have.


    Oh yeah. Thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks every six months on my car ins.

    Thanks for setting me straight. Seemed like a good idea in theory, $50 part plus labor vs a $500 cat and muffler installed. Looks like I'll be researching some of the quieter high flow mufflers.


    And no problem! Just doing my job, always nice to meet another member!
    Only wheeled Kia Sorento in Nevada on 31's.

  5. #5
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    04 Mar 2008
    Location
    foot hills
    Posts
    783
    Real Name
    nick
    i have been thinking about getting a set of these for the nova and my vette

  6. #6
    Yea, its got a Cummins
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2009
    Location
    Sparks - D'Andrea
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,411
    Real Name
    josh
    Pizza Jeep just did this to his pickup but its a manual switch.. He has it for conventional exhaust or his stacks
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Virginians View Post
    Welcome to M Stebel Photography. Now taking tasteful erotic portraits of moderators.

  7. #7
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    23 Mar 2005
    Location
    Golden Valley
    Age
    13
    Posts
    2,075
    Real Name
    Tony
    i installed an exhaust bypass valve on my dodge diesel last month.

    shortly after buying the truck, i had the INCREDIBLY WISE {read: redneck idiotic} idea to install stacks on my truck. they looked great, and sounded excellent... unless you were riding in or driving the truck. within a month i installed a high flow muffler to the combo, but it just really wasnt enough to eliminate the cab resonation. anyone who has ridden in my truck for longer than around the block can attest to how... annoying... it is. NOT TO MENTION that every thing i tow in both the bed of the truck and every trailer/jeep is covered in soot by the time i get to my destination!!

    after considering many options such as dynamat, taking the exhaust off, stack muffler inserts etc... last month i finally broke down and installed a cutout valve and a secondary piping that goes under the axle and out. in the interest of not having a dorky looking truck with two obvious, separate exhausts, i made the secondary one semi-hidden. let me just say... it works PERFECTLY.

    i enjoy the sound and operation of the stacks for general running around town and hot rodding.. but it converts back to a quiet, reasonable, useable truck for long distances with the flick of the lever. in time, ill be adding either an air ram or electric solenoid to the system so that i dont have to go under the truck to flip the lever... but this works just fine for now; im just happy to finally have the option and my sanity on long hauls back!

    heres the valve when i got it



    the second exhaust. spraypainted it black to match and blend in



    what valve looks like installed. one direction goes up to the stacks, the other goes straight out!



    unless youre looking for it, you cannot tell the second exhaust is there. i would imagine people have an odd look of confusion on their face who drive behind me and see smoke exiting the truck when its coming from the cutout and not the stacks.
    There are 2 rules in life:
    1.Never tell everything you know.

    Boulevard Pizza- The freshest thin crust pizza in Sparks.

  8. #8
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    23 Mar 2005
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    3,153
    Real Name
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by EAmotorsports View Post
    i have been thinking about getting a set of these for the nova and my vette
    Those are perfect applications for a cut out.
    75 FJ40 w/stuff; 98 UZJ100 kinda stock; 1984 FJ60
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

  9. #9
    Yea, its got a Cummins
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2009
    Location
    Sparks - D'Andrea
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,411
    Real Name
    josh
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaJeep View Post
    i installed an exhaust bypass valve on my dodge diesel last month.

    shortly after buying the truck, i had the INCREDIBLY WISE {read: redneck idiotic} idea to install stacks on my truck. they looked great, and sounded excellent... unless you were riding in or driving the truck. within a month i installed a high flow muffler to the combo, but it just really wasnt enough to eliminate the cab resonation. anyone who has ridden in my truck for longer than around the block can attest to how... annoying... it is. NOT TO MENTION that every thing i tow in both the bed of the truck and every trailer/jeep is covered in soot by the time i get to my destination!!

    after considering many options such as dynamat, taking the exhaust off, stack muffler inserts etc... last month i finally broke down and installed a cutout valve and a secondary piping that goes under the axle and out. in the interest of not having a dorky looking truck with two obvious, separate exhausts, i made the secondary one semi-hidden. let me just say... it works PERFECTLY.

    i enjoy the sound and operation of the stacks for general running around town and hot rodding.. but it converts back to a quiet, reasonable, useable truck for long distances with the flick of the lever. in time, ill be adding either an air ram or electric solenoid to the system so that i dont have to go under the truck to flip the lever... but this works just fine for now; im just happy to finally have the option and my sanity on long hauls back!

    what valve looks like installed. one direction goes up to the stacks, the other goes straight out!

    unless youre looking for it, you cannot tell the second exhaust is there. i would imagine people have an odd look of confusion on their face who drive behind me and see smoke exiting the truck when its coming from the cutout and not the stacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Virginians View Post
    Welcome to M Stebel Photography. Now taking tasteful erotic portraits of moderators.

  10. #10
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    24 May 2006
    Location
    Gardnerville
    Posts
    6,033
    Real Name
    CHRIS
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaJeep View Post
    i installed an exhaust bypass valve on my dodge diesel last month.

    shortly after buying the truck, i had the INCREDIBLY WISE {read: redneck idiotic} idea to install stacks on my truck. they looked great, and sounded excellent... unless you were riding in or driving the truck. within a month i installed a high flow muffler to the combo, but it just really wasnt enough to eliminate the cab resonation. anyone who has ridden in my truck for longer than around the block can attest to how... annoying... it is. NOT TO MENTION that every thing i tow in both the bed of the truck and every trailer/jeep is covered in soot by the time i get to my destination!!

    after considering many options such as dynamat, taking the exhaust off, stack muffler inserts etc... last month i finally broke down and installed a cutout valve and a secondary piping that goes under the axle and out. in the interest of not having a dorky looking truck with two obvious, separate exhausts, i made the secondary one semi-hidden. let me just say... it works PERFECTLY.

    i enjoy the sound and operation of the stacks for general running around town and hot rodding.. but it converts back to a quiet, reasonable, useable truck for long distances with the flick of the lever. in time, ill be adding either an air ram or electric solenoid to the system so that i dont have to go under the truck to flip the lever... but this works just fine for now; im just happy to finally have the option and my sanity on long hauls back!

    heres the valve when i got it



    the second exhaust. spraypainted it black to match and blend in



    what valve looks like installed. one direction goes up to the stacks, the other goes straight out!



    unless youre looking for it, you cannot tell the second exhaust is there. i would imagine people have an odd look of confusion on their face who drive behind me and see smoke exiting the truck when its coming from the cutout and not the stacks.
    WTF did you do to the back for your bed tony?
    OUTCAST CRAWLERS
    #989 Lunch Money Racing

  11. #11
    I piss excellence.
    Join Date
    27 Feb 2006
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13,131
    Real Name
    Steve
    I wanted to use an electronic cut out to put tire spikes in for when people tailgate you with their high beams on at night when your doing the speed limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Trooper View Post
    haha If I have wood for more than 4 hours due to Viagra I am not calling there hot line. I am calling that woman's sisters, cousins, friends & quite possibly her mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89jeepcpl View Post
    A happy ending in a strip club, is leaving with some cash still in your pocket
    "The dog don't like you planting stuff there. It's his backyard. If you're the only one who craps in something, you own it. Remember that."
    -I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Casci
    I piss excellence.

  12. #12
    I support Reno4x4!
    Join Date
    20 Sep 2007
    Location
    Out on the Fringe.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,767
    Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by CashMoney View Post
    I wanted to use an electronic cut out to put tire spikes in for when people tailgate you with their high beams on at night when your doing the speed limit.
    You and I think a lot alike.

    A polyethylene glycol injector right before the cat would be cool too.
    1991 Cherokee Sport with RE 5 1/2" lift, soon to be on 35" Toyo ATs.

    2003 WJ GC Limited 2" BB lift and 33" Dyna Pros on 17" JK wheels., more to come in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by PETNRDX View Post
    "There is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives".
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    What I learned was that there's still no device that's been invented to keep you from drinking and posting stupid stuff on the internet.

    Ignorance is not bliss, it's, well, ignorance. Don't be ignorant.
    -Me

    Sigmund Freud: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis," S. Freud)

    Speak Freely!


    μολὼν λαβέ

  13. #13
    Web Wheeler
    Join Date
    31 Jan 2007
    Location
    NW Reno
    Posts
    3,795
    Real Name
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaJeep View Post
    unless youre looking for it, you cannot tell the second exhaust is there. i would imagine people have an odd look of confusion on their face who drive behind me and see smoke exiting the truck when its coming from the cutout and not the stacks.
    funny you mention that. just on tuesday as you were getting on the freeway i noticed that. i had one hell of a confused look on my face until i talked to josh about it and he told me you did that. haha

  14. #14
    Wheeler
    Join Date
    21 Apr 2008
    Location
    Carson City
    Age
    42
    Posts
    77
    Real Name
    Tad
    Hey John. I really think you need to retain some backpressure to keep it running as well as it can. I haven't heard a lot of Sorentos with aftermarket exhausts, but the best ones I have heard had a magnaflow muffler welded in.
    My Rig: 84 Jeep Grand Wag: (De-wooded) AMC 360, 6-inch spring lift, 4.56/lockers, Edelbrock Headers and Magnaflow dual exhaust.

    Real Jeeps are BUILT, not BOUGHT!


Similar Threads

  1. How to bypass a turbo, the retard way
    By Cheapscherokee in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
  2. anyone know their valves?
    By lilwhitecherokee in forum UTVs, ATVs & Motorcycles
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
  3. orbital valves, which one for me? school me
    By B2Krawler in forum 4x4 Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
  4. Proportioning Valves
    By Dennis in forum 4x4 Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •